Title Training for European Sustainable Tourism (T4EST)
Project Number 527521-LLP-1-2012-1-IT-LEONARDO-LAM
Project Type Accompanying measures
Individual Participation Not possible
Country EU-Centralised Projects
Marketing Text "Project Management for European Sustainable Development (PM4ESD) is a new qualification for the tourism sector that will equip professionals with the skills and tools necessary for effective project management. These individuals will be trained to act as trainers to share this knowledge and expertise across the European tourism industry and its varied sectors. PM4ESD has been awarded by the UK Cabinet Office to be disseminated as a Best Management Practice and is going to be certified by APMG International (http://www.apmg-international.com/)."
Summary The T4EST proposal is linked to two key phrases “project management” and “sustainable tourism”. The European Communication: "Europe, the world's No 1 tourist destination" (2010), and the European Parliament resolution Tourism in Europe (2011) identified the achievement of sustainable tourism as a priority. The main aim of European tourism policy is to stimulate competitiveness in the sector, supporting sustainability in the process. In order to achieve this objective it has been found out that there is the need to reinforce management skills in the sector. International Organisations such as the UN World Tourism Organisation or UNESCO disseminate training tools and practices but there is no standard methodology. T4EST will bring a new perspective into the project management skills and competences for sustainable tourism. T4EST disseminates and exploit "Project Management 4 European Sustainable Development" results; a Leonardo Transfer of Innovation Action successfully closed in September 2011 (2009-1-IT1-LEO05-00222. The scope of T4EST is to bring PM4ESD in practice in order to achieve a unified level of competence in sustainable project management for the tourism sector and to establish a European Summer School “Leadership and Management in Tourism Training”. The proposal covers the activities related to bringing the results of the previous project close to the end-users, the National VET Systems, the market. The partnership is a multiplayer partnership, it includes 1 public authority (Muncipality of Frigento), 1 SME (Jlag), 1 academic partner ( Leeds Metropolitan University) and 1 European network (NECSTouR). The proposal covers 3 countries: Italy, United Kingdom and Belgium, but the geographical impact is much higher thanks to NECSTouR which represents regional authorities in the following countries: France, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium, Italy, United Kingdom and Czech Republic.
The project, disseminating and exploiting PM4ESD, will establish a unified level of competence in sustainable project management for the tourism sector. PM4ESD aims to become the recognised and certified methodology in tourism management to be used both by local, regional and national governments, by companies and all stakeholders operating in the tourism and cultural sectors. The scope of the T4EST is to produce training material and activities which will allow the PM4ESD methodology to be disseminated.
The objectives that support this overarching aim are:
- To develop and launch PM4ESD training courses for end users and trainers, including exams. This will be done through “Train the Trainer” training (WP2) and end users training (WP3) – both face to face and online learning for trainers and end-users. By the end of these WPs we will have 20 trainers in PM4ESD and 100 end users as Project Managers in PM4ESD.
- To certify PM4ESD training courses within the ECVET system
- To establish an accredited body for certification and maintenance of PM4ESD (WP5)
- To disseminate PM4ESD to policy makers and sustainable tourism organisations in key European Regions (WP3, WP4 and WP5).
- To launch a Summer School in Leadership and Management in Tourism Training (WP5)
By the end of the Project we will have 20 certified trainers in PM4ESD, 100 European trainees certified as Project Managers in PM4ESD, which can put in practice their skills and competences and transfer them to their team. Policy makers, corporations, SMEs, public authorities, NGOs and a number of other stakeholders involved in the tourism sector throughout Europe will have a real opportunity to improve their initiatives by implementing more sustainable project lifecycles applying PM4ESD as a standard methodology.
The Summer School aims to represent a point of reference for trainers and policy makers in Tourism Training at European Level. The School will contribute also to make Tourism Training more attractive in terms of job creation, professional skills and competences.
By the end of the project: Public authorities can apply PM4ESD in order to plan and manage tourism initiatives with sustainability; they can use certified project managers in tourism management; professionals can boost their careers by acquiring specific skills and competences; policy makers will know how to transfer sustainable tourism policies and criteria into actions; new entrepreneurs can be inspired by new fresh ideas in sustainable tourism. Moreover PM4ESD will facilitate the mobility of professionals in tourism management.
Utilization and distribution of results
Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities
Accommodation and Food Service Activities
transparency and certification
open and distance learning
The core product of the T4EST proposal is PM4ESD, a project management methodology and qualification for project managers in the tourism sector.
By the end of the poject the following innovative products will be delivered:
- PM4ESD training courses – A training course for tourism practitioners and 1 training course for trainers will be developed
- the manual available in EN, IT, PL, TK, and DE will be translated in 2 further languages – French and Spanish – meaning that the products are available in 7 languages of the European Union
- The qualification in PM4ESD will be developed and launched
- 20 European trainers in PM4ESD will be certified
- 100 end users from 6 European countries (England, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic,) will be trained and certified in PM4ESD
- Development of an accreditation body for PM4ESD
- The first European Summer School in Leadership and Management in Tourism Training will be set up
- Development of web based and eLearning training materials