Title NEW DEAL: NEW employees DEvelopment And Learning: technological methods and tools in favour of the professional development of new employees
Project Number 527878-LLP-1-2012-1-IT-LEONARDO-LMP
Project Type Development of Innovation
Country EU-Centralised Projects
improving your knowledge and skills
monitoring your staff development
to promote the integration of learning and working
to increase the importance and value of work based learning
to recognize non formal and informal competences
Description of professional profiles
Assessment of entry level competences
Definition of progression routes to acquire the expected competences
Design and implementation of blended training curricula
Validation of learning outcomes
An online solution for the recognition of knowledge and skills developed in the workplace.
The NEW DEAL project aims at creating a computer-based platform for the management of the learning paths of new employees occurring in the workplace. The idea is to valorise the learning process that the new employee attains while working, and to individualize the training paths necessary to gain the required skills: in fact, the assumption of the project is that the workplace is a key learning environment, needing to be valorised. This will be achieved by formalising and structuring paths for skills development that normally happen implicitly in the enterprise. The platform therefore enables formal recognition of the component of training on the job and of competences gained non formally and informally. New employees, that is apprentices or trainees in work placement, have been chosen as a target for the importance that training still plays in their working experiences and for the exceptional difficulties they experiment in the firm. Experimentation is done in the Large Scale Retail Trade, for the common features it shows in different countries, and for the growth trends it performs in terms of employment rates.
The process starts from the definition of performance standards for 5 job profiles and of blended modular curricula to attain the standards set; next steps is the definition of tools to assess skills, also non formal and informal; their matching through the platform will result in individualized training paths and formalization of the skills attained.
Results expected by the NEW DEAL project are:
- development of skills matching the requests of the job market
- definition of a clear perspective of development for new employees
- availability for new employees of tools for self-assessment of their competences and attitudes
- availability for the enterprise of a tool managing the internal knowledge and asset of competences
- valorisation of the competences of employees attained at the workplace through a tighter collaboration between training and business.
The project aims at defining a technological tool able to personalize and formalize for each new employee the paths of learning in the workplace and of professional development, necessary to attain the competences typical of the job profile. In other words, the technological tool defines in formal and structured terms, the paths of on the job training that the new employee has to follow inside the enterprise to play the professional role to which he/she has been assigned.
In fact, the assumption of the project is that the enterprise and work are key learning environment, which need to be valorised, through the formalization and structuring of paths of progressive acquisition of competences.
The structuring of on the job training paths enabling the new employees to be effectively introduced in the firm allows in particular to reach the following specific objectives:
- develop skills appropriate to the requests of the job market: no other learning methodology ensures a better matching between the skills required by the enterprise and the ones offered by employees as the one happening on the job
- define a clear perspective of professional development for the new employee: the newcomers when receive clear directions and rules, a structured path of development, continuous feedback, mentoring, job shadowing etc., gain in confidence, motivation, capacity of learning to learn
- endow the employee with a self-assessment tool of his/her own competences and attitudes, both in a lifelong learning perspective and in the awareness that only a continuous updating of knowledge and competences enhances occupational stability and the expression of one’s potentialities
- endow the enterprises of an assessment tool of the professional growth of its resources: the platform allows the formalization and planning of the process of acquisition of new competences and enables to keep track of the path and all competences attained and still to be attained, formalizing paths that normally happens implicitly in the enterprise, without receiving a formal recognition.
- valorise the competences of employees and develop the learning process in the workplace: the platform in fact gives recognition to the competences developed non formally and informally in the workplace
The tool is applicable to all new resources that an enterprise aims to introduce; however at this experimental level the idea is to apply the tool first only to the new employees of the Large Scale Retail Trade, mainly apprentices and young trainees alternating school and work, because these types of placements foresee in themselves a training path integrated in the daily work. The idea is to structure on the job training paths of acquisition and measurement of competences relating to some selected job profiles in the field of Large Scale Retail Trade, such as “Store Manager”, “Salesperson”, “Buyer”, “Visual merchandiser”.
It is clear then how NEW DEAL project contributes to responding to the high flexibility required by the job market, as it allows to create individualized modular learning paths, to capitalize personal and professional experiences, to support the enterprises in the management of the internal knowledge and asset of competences, and, in final analysis, to improve the matching of skills.
Recognition, transparency, certification
Open and distance learning
Sectors Wholesale and Retail Trade; Repair of Motor Vehicles and Motorcycles
open and distance learning
program or curricula
transparency and certification
Product information After a first analysis of respective experiences and known practices in the field of learning processes in the workplace, needed to create a common language and methodology in all partners, a set of sample job profiles is described, with details on the curricula needed to attain the competences described. A common method to assess competences of a new employee is defined, both in entrance and developed during the work experience, as proved by a pattern portfolio shared by partners. All these products will be transferred to a web platform which will allow to manage the professional development of new employees.