Title Stimulating Learning for Idea-to-Market
Project Number UK/12/LLP-LdV/TOI-550
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Country UK-United Kingdom
We have now successfully transferred two major innovations, a diagnostic tool from the UK and an IP course from Poland, into an eCourse, designed to support entrepreneurs take ideas to market. We have brought all involved countries' vocational education and training organisations closer to each other and business.
- undertaken an academically rigorous survey into the learning needs of SMEs in Croatia, Poland and the UK
- shared our aim and goals with SMEs and a variety of VET professionals in Croatia, Poland and the UK
- fully developed the eCourse platform, and the course itself
- thoroughly edited content for the course
- undertaken both a Cross Partner Conference in Dubrovnik, and a stand at the AURIL conference in the UK, to promote and disseminate our course
- Developed a Case Study book for use alongside the course: http://issuu.com/kyoungcfe/docs/slim-case-studies-web
Our ecourse is on our project website here: http://www.e-sgh.com/slim/
As Croatia integrated into the EU, a major challenge has been co-operation between education and business. There is a longstanding gap between the supply and demand of knowledge, skills and competencies relevant to business From the European perspective, the need to develop and commercialise ideas-to-market products and services for long term economic benefits is a recurrent theme in European policy, and sits within Europe2020.
This project was developed to bridge this gap in Croatia, and create two way innovation transfer between all partners, which has been designed to meet the emphasis in Lisbon to encourage the central role of education and training as a key way to grow human capital and to support long term economic well being.
The result of VET and the world of work cooperation is a tailored educational tool – ecourse, enabling SMEs to commercialize their ideas while protecting their knowledge, at www.e-sgh/slim
Our objectives were to:
- develop understanding of the SME context in each partner country, and current strengths and weaknesses in VET engagement with these businesses. We surveyed 100 SMEs in Croatia, Poland and the UK, to understand their needs in our first year of the project. Their needs are largely around soft skills, such as marketing, and assessing project ideas.
- adapt and transfer MMU's Diagnostic tools - which expose and benchmark entrepreneurial capacity in organisations, and work with this capacity.
- adapt and transfer SGH's Intellectual Property Management training - to support establishment and development of the business idea to market. This has been successful, and our eCourse has been launched.
- Work collaboratively, so that each partner develops part of the "Idea to Market" ecourse. We have been working collaboratively over the project, and have developed good relationships between all those working on the project.
- Test developed ecourse and improve it upon its evaluation
- Disseminate project results within target group and wider
Associated partners in the UK, Poland, and two in Croatia, will add crucial real-world SME experience to our activity, steer the project, and promote and disseminate its uses and benefits.
Description Our project has mapped and analysed the current SME needs and challenges in each participating country, and then developed an e course from this analysis, and from MMU's diagnostic tools and SGH's IP Management Course. We have tested, piloted and delivered this course in all countries, with a focus on Croatia.We collected over 400 responses to our SME survey, to understand learning needs, and needs in terms of taking ideas to market.
Activities of Extraterritorial Organisations and Bodies
Activities of Households as Employers; Undifferentiated Goods- and Services-Producing Activities of Households for Own Use
Public Administration and Defence; Compulsory Social Security
Administrative and Support Service Activities
Real Estate Activities
Financial and Insurance Activities
Transportation and Storage
Wholesale and Retail Trade; Repair of Motor Vehicles and Motorcycles
Water Supply; Sewerage, Waste Management and Remediation Activities
Electricity, Gas, Steam and Air Conditioning Supply
Mining and Quarrying
Accommodation and Food Service Activities
Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities
Human Health and Social Work Activities
Other Service Activities
Information and Communication
Arts, Entertainment and Recreation
Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing
material for open learning
open and distance learning
program or curricula
2 SME learning needs reports, one for Croatian SMEs, and the other comparing SMEs' needs in Croatia, Poland and the UK
eCourse - Stimulating Learning for Ideas to Market http://www.e-sgh.com/slim/
Case study book, available online at http://issuu.com/kyoungcfe/docs/slim-case-studies-web
Established partnership for further work