Title Teach TW0 - Teach To Waste 0
Project Number 2011-1IT-LEO05-1916
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Marketing Text The availability of Energy resources is one of the main conditions for the society development. Today is still necessary to acquire the awareness that these resources are limited, their cost increases and their unaware use produces pollution and influences climate changes. A proper awareness can induce the society to rationalize and plan the use of energy resources, through targeted actions. In this frame, Schools are a strategic setting to foster Young awareness on the importance of energy for the future and to realise interventions focused on Energy conservation. For this reason, it is necessary that problems and aspects related to energy “find a meaningful place” within Education curricula, since up today the energy conservation and the development of new, renewable energy sources cover a low percentage within training actions. Education to Energy trains to active citizenship and promotes the understanding of the relationship between “resources use” and “human activities”.
Summary TEACH TW0 project aims at transferring outcomes and tools realised within the U.E. Programme SAVE by the project TEACH, promoted and implemented by Energy Agencies of Italy, Austria, Ireland and by Schools and other Cultural Institutions. The main goal of TEACH TW0 is to foster the adoption of a Methodology of Energy Analysis in cooperation with European school students. All partners involved can contribute to the development and consolidation of a network of Schools in Italy, Latvia and Greece aimed at: promoting the awareness and education on Energy save, implementing energy analysis for the efficient energy use; fostering the experiences transnational exchange. The realisation of Energy balances within Schools implies the implementation of a programme foreseeing: the collection of Schools physical and energy data, the realisation of Schools Energy Audit and the identification of potential intervention measures. The Audit, in particular, represents a procedure through which make a self-diagnosis of the School system and produce an Energy report where priorities, needs, emergencies and ad hoc interventions are suggested. Beneficiaries of the action are the Schools and the Education Institutions, that will be provided with practical tools functional to design an energy recovery plan to be adopted by the School buildings that have been checked. TEACH TW0 will directly involve around 150 teachers, 2.500 students and 150 family representatives and will realise 50 energy balances of European schools.
The energy aspect is the fulcrum of the project, since foreseeing actions to improve efficiency and energy saving through the amelioration of the buildings performances leads towards a saving in environment resources, and a raise in the internal comfort of the buildings themselves, directly verifiable by their occupants. The priority aim of this project is to promote an energy analysis methodology shared with pupils of European school buildings. Receivers of this shared analysis action will be schools, pupils, and Public Bodies whom are the manager of the school sector, and to whom will be addressed a concrete tool for energy intervention on analysed buildings.
Schools represent a strategical sector for the development of the awareness of the youth about the role energy will play in the future, and for the application of pilot projects on efficiency and on energy saving related to a very common building type. All the above for two main aspects:
• Schools are special public buildings, and thus often managed by Public Administration and they request standard and high level energy comfort performances: as a consequence schools are a very interesting sector among the public buildings typology in Europe;
• Schools are living buildings since the very first years of everyone’s life, up to the teen age, thus through a correct information one can intervene on the growth of the awareness on rational use of energy of the Europe future citizens.
At present energy related problems find very little space in all the educational programmes, and energy saving thematic, along with renewable energy sources development, for example are dealt just with the 6% of the total training and updating courses, in Italy.
The energy education forms pupils to active citizenship, and allow to comprehend the complexity of the relations between use of resources and human activities.
Moreover, only a very little percentage of school buildings are currently monitored and energy analyzed, and maintenance plus management interventions usually concern only the heating and electrical systems.
The approach hereby presented is meant to verify first of all the standards intended as minimum adjustment conditions to the European countries normative, and also to determine further performances improvement of the buildings such as efficiency, use of RES, comfort.
It is advisable to not let the analysis and the solutions of problems just to experts, but on the contrary make it a common knowledge with high diffusion and share potential.
Information and Communication
open and distance learning
We proceed through:
1. predisposition of common tools for energy analysis of buildings (adapted from TEACH models)
2. predisposition of tools for the shared energy analysis by pupils, connected basically to the shell and heat system, and to the buildings typology
3. intervention renovation and upgrading of teachers and headmasters for the management of environmental monitoring do be done by the students
4. refresher courses on energy savings for students and school personnel
5. possible spill over of this methodology to the students’ families and representatives
6. predisposition of common standards and of common performance parameters among the different schools and different nations
7. proposals of energy saving and energy efficiency interventions and solutions to be implemented for energy qualification and certification
8. technical- scientific validation of Energy Balances produced by students
9. scientific qualification of the methodology
10. dissemination and diffusion of the methodology and results
This approach means to verify first of all the standards intended as minimum adjustment conditions to the European countries normative, and also to determine further performances improvement of the buildings as:
• thermal comfort
• reduction in air movement and thus lower dust pollution
• non-renewable energy saving
• energy efficiency
• RES and low temperature thermal sources use
This methodology starts from considering of making the occupants of the school building aware of the long-occupied rooms energy related problematic and to compare results, methods, parameters and intervention proposals at the European level.
From all these considerations came the idea of not letting the analysis and the solutions of problems just to experts, but on the contrary make it a common knowledge with high diffusion and share potential.