Title E-VitiClimate: E-learning for viticulture technicians for mentoring on climate change impacts and adaptations needed
Project Number 2011-1-FR1-LEO05-24427
Project Type Innovationstransfer
E-VitiClimate has developed an innovative e-learning content for viticulture technicians to
adapt their techniques to climate change: http://www.eviticlimate.eu/.
The aim of this Lifelong learning project E-VitiClimate was to address the challenges that
climate change poses for European wine producers.
Changes in temperature and rainfall are already transforming European vineyards rhythm and
state. The impact of climate change on wine production in Europe is extremely important
when considering the economic, political, social, and cultural role of wine and the production
industry. Wine producers need to be fully aware of the impacts of these changes on the whole
viticulture sector and to adapt their techniques accordingly.
Thus, the project E-VitiClimate aimed at training teachers and trainers on issues related to
climate change and on different viticultural techniques to help producers adapt to climate
change. E-VitiClimate has delivered an innovative platform to help maintain the best
European vineyard conditions.
Two modules are available by E-VitiClimate to inform technicians about climate change and
its effects on viticulture:
Module 1 presents the climate change process globally, its effects on European vineyard
and adaptation techniques (irrigation techniques, genetic adaptation, ...)
Module 2 details the required adaptation to local ecology, examples and guidelines.
The general ambition of the E-VitiClimate project was to contribute to maintain the richness
and diversity of the European vineyard faced with climate change challenges thanks to an
appropriate and innovative training of its viticulture technicians.
To do so, the goals of the project were:
- To give a boost to a different way of learning in the viticulture sector (based on ICT);
- To propose a comprehensive and innovative training on viticulture and climate change that
integrates the cultural and territorial diversity of the European vineyard, through international
- To inform European viticulture mentors and trainers on climate change, its effects on
viticulture and adaptation techniques.
The project has been implemented as follows:
- Definition of the whole project methodological perimeter and structure.
- Development of the full learning content for the online training modules and tools and for the
public section of the project, in the project four languages and cultures.
- Development of the corresponding on-line environment.
- Intensive testing and external evaluation of the platform by experts.
- Organisation of a pilot training in each project country, with viticulture teachers/trainers,
researchers and technicians.
- Intensive dissemination in Europe.
- Constant monitoring of quality and daily project management.
The pilot trainings were held in France, Italy, the Uk and Bulgaria. The results have been very
encouraging. Here are some main figures:
- 584 registered trainees, essentially researchers, teachers and students.
- 129 certified trainees (22% of registered).
- High scores: 76/100 to both quizzes on average.
- Average time spent per lesson: 10 minutes.
- 63 trainees answered our satisfaction survey and the results are very satisfactory: more than
the 80% of the objectives are considered achieved; 70% of the trainees think the website is
well done, in particular as regards the ease of use and 70% consider the learning objectives
The large dissemination of the platform has allowed a larger understanding of climate change
stakes for viticulture, and initiated a reappraisal of viticulture techniques. On the long term,
through the monitoring of wine producers by technicians that followed the E-VitiClimate
training, this project will permit the establishment of sustainable practices in the European
If you have never visited our platform, please come and have a look! It is completely free of
charge. You can check our demonstration video on our main site. All you need to do to get
your certificate is to visit the lessons of the 2 modules and score over 50% to both quizzes!
Berufsorientierung und -beratung
Land- und Forstwirtschaft, Fischerei
Erziehung und Unterricht
Information und Kommunikation
The E-VitiClimate platform consists in:
- A public section, key information site for experts in climate change and viticulture
- A private section to train technicians about climate change and its effects on viticulture:
- 2 full learning modules: module 1 (climate change globally and its effects on European
vineyard) and module 2 (adaptation to local ecology)
- Complementary learning tools, mainly exercices and quizzes.