Title ACUME Advancing cross CUltural MEdiation ACUME
Project Number 2011-1-IT1-LEO05-01899
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Marketing Text Europe is undergoing a process of change towards a multiethnic society that demands the rethink of the existing social structures in order to support the integration and inclusion of migrants. In this respect, a prominent role can be played by Intercultural Mediators (IM). The relevance of these new actors has activated actions, in several EU Countries, aimed at the definition and experimentation of the professional profile of the IM and at the identification of the related digit. The work developed on the field demonstrates the existence of training needs which are recurring in all Countries. Nevertheless, the training offer available is still characterised by some limitations, the main of which is the absence of a modular approach, competence based and tailored for the specific profile. ACUME addresses this challenge by enriching a training course which is intended to provide a theoretical and practical training to the IM, which promotes the access of migrants to the labor market.
Summary Advancing cross CUltural MEdiation (ACUME) is aimed at adapting, integrating and transferring a Spanish training course for Intercultural Mediators, focusing in particular on specific competencies areas of this professional: Communication and relation¸ Languages and Teamwork. The course will also be complemented with blended learning (e-learning modules and face-to-face lessons) for the enhancement of competencies in the writing of Italian as a second language (L2). The model will be structured in a modular form to allow a use of the training on an individual basis. To this end, the educational and teaching materials will be accompanied by a system for the assessment of entry and exit skills, which will be developed having as reference the French method of Validation des Acquis de l'Espérience (VAE). ACUME, ultimately, will help to define the professional profile of the Intercultural Mediator.
The transfer is made of several components:
1) Participative analysis of the products’ usability: in this phase the objects being transferred, along with other products that are to be integrated, will be analysed by both the partners and the Intercultural Mediators in order to evaluate their usability within the contexts to which they will be applied enabling the necessary changes to be identified and guidelines for their adaptation to be drawn up.
2) Adaptation and integration of existing products: in this phase the content, language and technology will be adapted and applied to the different products. The adaptation will take advantage from the results of a preliminary research activity aimed at the definition of the professional profile of the Intercultural Mediator.
3) Testing the model, products and the final adaptation of the prototype: at this stage the model and the products will be tested directly by the beneficiaries in Italy and Spain in order to determine if they can be validated or if any points need refining.
4) Transfer of the model (Course and training products): the model will be transferred to the beneficiaries, selected in Italy and Spain, according to an entry skills assessment, the joint definition of which will be made by the partners and individuals creating an individual training plan, the use of training modules, and an assessment of exit skills.
5) Observation, review and validation of the work in context: the training’s impact will be seen by observing the professional activity of the beneficiaries in their workplace. If necessary further training or advice on specific issues will be given. Observations will be made by senior mediators from the evaluation team and operators from the facilities or service in which the trainee inter-cultural mediators are working. Guidance will also be provided for possible work routes / additional joint interventions after the completion.
Recognition, transparency, certification
Open and distance learning
Human Health and Social Work Activities
program or curricula
description of new occupation profiles
material for open learning
Product information As a result of project implementation the following main products will be developed: a Report on the analysis of the products’ usability; the Description of the characteristics of the professional profile; the Intercultural Mediator's Training Course; a Final Publication; Project’s Newsletters; Communication materials; Project’s website.