Title The English Speaking Sportsworld
Project Number 2011-1-FR1-LEO05-24455
Product TESS table Tennis (composed of videos, exercises, specific vocabulary) multilingual with an audio glossary in English
Title TESS table Tennis (composed of videos, exercises, specific vocabulary) multilingual with an audio glossary in English
Product Type open and distance learning
Marketing Text TESS was designed as a learning and improvement tool of technical English for sport. It is the fruit of a two-year European project which enabled the identification of needs linked to the learning of English related to sport. The tool, which is available in five languages, Bulgarian, French, German, Hungarian and Portuguese, is aimed at a wide public of sport professionals such as coaches, sport managers, athletes and sport participants, students, referees, judges, medical doctors, physiotherapists, scientists, teachers, physical/strength conditioning coaches and event organisers.
In this tool, the main professional situations encountered by sport professionals have been staged to enable them to work more efficiently.
The videos and the activities proposed are based on specific themes encountered in daily situations or in competition in Table tennis. The exercises aim primarily at improving the skills related to oral comprehension, speaking while perfecting pronunciation, vocabulary, fluency, and autonomy which are indispensable to work efficiently on the international sporting scene. In this respect, the innovative aspect of this tool is to offer a range of different accents (American, English, Australian, Scottish, South African etc.) which will help the learner to get used to a multiplicity of the English Language.
Different target users were identified:
- Amateur and professional athletes
- Sports professionals, coaches and trainers ; exercise physiologists, physiotherapists, biomechanists, nutritionists, dieticians, sports medical doctors, human kinesiologists, animators, masseurs, sport instructors (in skiing or moutaineering for instance)
- English teachers involved in sport environments
- University lecturers (involved in Erasmus students’ programmes)
- Researchers/scientists (in training and sport, physical education, sport sociology, psychology, management, and history)
- University students in PE and sport
- Secondary school children
- Interpreters, translators, terminologists, or librarians involved in sport environments
- Administrative staff working in sport environments
- Sports media professionals (journalists, editors, and media students)
- Sports organisers of European/international competitions/tournaments
- Sports international representatives at boards of directors of European/Olympic/international institutions
- Sports advisors in European bodies
- Supporters and spectators
- Sports National and International federations
•15 pedagogical sequences
•More than 30 hours of e-learning
•45 videos in English about the world of sport
•More than 100 interactive exercises including correction and sound recording
•1000 technical terms with recorded pronunciation
•15 grammar rules with examples taken from a sporting context
•Tool available in French, Bulgarian, German, Hungarian and Portuguese
Area of application English teaching materials specialized in sport.
Product Languages English