Title Digital education for Enhanced editorial products
Project Number 517964-LLP-1-2011-1-IT-LEONARDO-LMP
Project Type Développement d'innovation
Country EU-Projets centralisés
Marketing Text The E2 project aims at improving the skills of workers employed in the publishing houses, helping them to develop competencies in designing high quality e-publishing materials in order to create new professionals in the publishing sector and to promote creativity, competitiveness and the entrepreneurship spirit by using ICT tools.
The publishing sector is facing new challenges caused by the technological development of new digital publishing materials. The E2 project aims at designing an e-learning course for workers in publishing sector in order to provide them with a full range of skills related to the most innovative and user-oriented technologies that integrates the traditional competencies of the publishing sector with innovative e-publishing materials. The course will encompass several publishing houses providing their staff with digital capabilities in order to create new professional profiles more suitable to the new publishing challenges.
The main activities of the E2 project are:
- A research to identify the vocational skills and the training needs of publishing workers;
- The development of training materials;
- The design and development of an e-learning platform to deliver the training course;
- The delivery of the course and the production of project works by participants;
- The creation of a Community of Practices.
The envisaged impact is to create new occupational profiles by improving skills and competencies of traditional workers in publishing related to the innovative publishing tools and applications, in order to make workers and publishing houses more competitive in the market and to keep up with new ICT tool and applications. Workers can adequately respond to the new labour market needs that demands workers able to create innovative applications to satisfy customers’ requests.
The publishing sector is fast-changing, with ICT and strong global competition on markets. Innovation is important for staying competitive and publishing houses extensively use ICT in order to increase their revenues and efficiency. For publishing houses attracting young readers is a challenge to face immediately. Due to their willingness in exploiting new technologies, young people has to be stimulated in reading with the development of enhanced editorial products. Multimedia and multimodal products are more suitable and preferred by young audience who expects to work, learn, study whenever they want to and are more oriented to a faster approach that allows an easy and timely access, not only the information on the web but to their social network as well. Therefore, E2 project aims at sustaining the world of publishing to face challenges due to the new emerging technologies. E2 wants to provide workers of small and medium publishing houses with a range of skills and competences related to the use of new technologies and to the development of multimedia and multimodal products, in order to make publishing houses more competitive on the markets.
Specifically, the project aims at designing and developing and e-learning course for professionals who already work in order to provide them with new competencies, skills and knowledge about innovative, user-oriented and easy to use editorial products such as enhanced books, applications for mobiles, tablets and web TV, learning objects for interactive schools dashboards as well as social and cross media environments that augment the editorial contents and extend their life cycle. Publishing workers will be also able to update their business plans and marketing strategies in order to exploit opportunities and challenges of digital economy and to take profit from new digital channels for reaching audience, distributing contents as well as fitting their products with dynamic and participatory users’ expectations.
Formation tout au long de la vie
Formation ouverte et à distance
Entreprise, TPE, PME
Égalité des chances
Arts, Spectacles et Activités Récréatives
Information et Communication
Enseignement à distance
1. The E2 Research report will address partners and target groups. After examining the best practices related to the most innovative ICT applications that could be developed by publishing houses to create innovative products, the report will define the best practices in the digital editorial field and the vocational skills of the target group the e-course is addressed to. The report will focus on three areas that may be particularly affected by new forms of communication and publishing technologies: touristic, children, and academic publishing. The analysis of the best practices in these three areas will enable the identification of the opportunities and models of collaboration between institutional and commercial stakeholders in the production, distribution and promotion of innovative publishing products. The report will contribute as well to outline the new professional profile with technological skills the course aims to train. The E2 Research Report will be available on the project website.
2. Pilot e-learning ENHANCED EDITORS course in English addressed to professionals of small and medium publishing houses from all the partner countries (Denmark, Italy, Lithuania, Turkey and Spain). E-learning course topics will include forms and uses of hypertext structures, the cross-media systems and productions, different typologies of interactivity in publishing, interaction between user generated contents and professional products, page layout and design, language and communicative style on the web, learning and edutainment production for e-book, interactive dashboards and mobile application, on-demand, push delivery systems, digital rights management and the equipment necessary for e-publishing. The reference model here is the multi-modal and multi-layer approach to the description of so-called learning objects. This could face the heterogeneity of available learning objects and related methods: the solution should support "traditional" materials such as texts, images, presentations; it should embrace dynamic multimedia contents, e.g. videos and animations; finally, e-learning should take advantage also from interactive tools, such as forums and instant messaging. Considering current publishing sector the course could focus in a first hypothesis on the following main areas: Managing e-Publishing Projects; Producing Digital content; Digital proofreading; Platform for e-publishing, Copyright Digital right management and Marketing for digital products. The e-learning platform consists of the e-learning environment for the delivering of the e-course addressed to the project target group (publishing houses’ employees). It will also include the collaborative tools for individual study and sharing documents and arranging group virtual session. The platform will be accessed through the E2 website using a personal UserID and password to login. The e-learning platform will be created in English and the Learning Objects uploaded will be in English with lecture notes translated into the partners’ languages.
3. Project Works: Project works are multimedia products created by participants during the last two months of the ENHANCED EDITORS course. Groups of participants will produce a work using applications and teachings developed through the e-learning course. Project works could encompass enhanced book suitable by computer, web TV, mobile phones etc. At the end of the production, each work will be evaluated by MINDMETIC according to an emotional approach (evaluation of the area of interest for putting images, pop-ups, enriched objects in the e-books, didactic materials, creating standards for the better position of the images or buttons, creating standards for the a better emotional fruition of enhanced books, in the different media format). Project works will be available in English and in the original language. Project works will be exhibited at Torino Book Fair, ITEF festival in Istanbul ad at Vilnius Book Fair and will be promoted on the project website.
4. Dissemination tools, materials and events (project multilingual website, leaflets, posters, e-newsletters, project final workshop, participation in international conferences and book fairs).
5. Online Community of Practice (CoPs) is a web-based thematic platform accessible from the project website. CoP’s management puts in place a set of activities to encourage active members’ participation as forum promotion, project idea development environment, etc. CoP will allow users to provide and take information on innovative ICT tools and applications for publishing sector and all the necessary documentation on this topic.