Title Training of cultural mediators utilizing new Social Networking Software
Project Number 518736-LLP-1-2011-1-GR-LEONARDO-LMP
Project Type Development of Innovation
Country EU-Centralised Projects
Marketing Text A novel combination of peer learning and adult education pedagogical principles with the help of social networking services and innovative digital content, in order to foster the development of a European learning community of Cultural Mediators
Summary The SONETOR project aims at developing a training platform that will integrate existing social networking applications with modern adult education methodologies in lifelong learning and specially produced content and services, in order to assist Cultural Mediators in developing formal and non-formal skills and competences and in applying them during their work with immigrants.
Over the past decades, internal and external migration has been considerably growing in the European Union transforming European nations into multi-cultural societies. Thus, a pressing need to assist foreign citizens in smoothly becoming members of the hosting societies has emerged; at the same time, hosting societies must be coached into learning to battle xenophobia and tolerate different cultures. Such assistance and coaching are provided by Cultural Mediators, the role of whom is being increasingly appreciated by European societies. Although various VET courses and educational programmes are available, no systematic effort has been made to design and offer sustainable services that address the actual Cultural Mediators needs arising in the workplace.
The proposed project will affect the current situation regarding cultural mediation as follows:
1. A European community of Cultural Mediators will be formed, ensuring the sustainability of project outcome
2. The skills and competences of Cultural Mediators will be systematically described for the first time; this description will serve as the basis for the specification of real life-like training scenarios
3. The social networking training platform will be continuously supported by HOU to serve as a European focal point for Cultural Mediators and other stakeholders.
SONETOR can be the vehicle for improving quality competences and skills of any professional who formally or informally interact with immigrants and for promoting innovation in vocational training of Cultural Mediators through the social networking training platform.
The overall SONETOR’s workplan is the following:
- User Needs Analysis
- Production of training contents
- Development of the social networking training platform
- Training and Pilot Deployment
- Promotion, Awareness and Dissemination
The target group that will be invited to participate in pilot using the social networking platform, to update its content to be trained with it and eventually to learn by interacting with peers in the context of specially designed training scenarios are:
- Cultural Mediators communities,
- Students (of social sciences, health sciences, literature etc) aiming to become Cultural Mediators,
- Higher Education Institutes,
- Vocational Education and Training (VET) centers,
- Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)
- Volunteering organizations,
- Local authorities,
- Public administration,
- Certification of Qualifications Organizations,
- Other professional who formally or informally interacts with immigrants
The SONETOR consortium involves partners from five countries: Greece, Ireland, Austria, Poland and Spain.
Open and distance learning
Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities
Human Health and Social Work Activities
Information and Communication
open and distance learning
material for open learning
description of new occupation profiles
The main products of the project are:
- A detailed comparative user needs analysis in the fields of legislation, training, collaboration and skills definition in order to clearly define the competences and skills that professional cultural mediators must possess and their training needs. The outcomes of the analysis will be a user study, a draft job profile and the training platform requirements
- A project portal serving as a focal communication point for European Cultural Mediators and other stakeholders. The portal will contain a training platform composed of social networking tools, which will be used to train Cultural Mediators with the help of adult education and peer learning methodologies
- Highly interactive, efficient digital content composed mainly of videos, but also containing text, wikis, forums etc.
- At least three peer learning scenarios on topics related to the everyday practice of Cultural Mediators, such as Health, Education, Public services, etc. The scenarios will realize the principles of peer learning, make use of the digital content modules and will be delivered via the training platform
- A European learning community of Cultural Mediators composed of representatives of all stakeholders. In the context of the project, about twenty five core community members will initially join from the participating countries, while in a subsequent phase; about two hundred and fifty people will be trained using the platform
- Five pilot training sessions, one per participating country, with the participation of members of the learning community
- Six evaluation reports, summarizing the project progress and evaluating its outcome
- Five promotional workshops, one in each participating country, together with leaflets, brochures and a promotional project video
- A final plenary workshop, organized in Greece, which will promote the outcomes of the project and define exploitation and sustainability policies.