Title Enjoy language within tourism
Project Number 2011-1-SE1-LEO05-08376
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
The tourism is a rapidly growing sector in Europe, the largest employer among all maritime activities, and makes a vital contribution to the economies of communities.
The project ended in november 2013.
The overall objective of the project was to enable young male working in the tourist sector with particular “foreign language learning resistance” to establish their “enjoying language” by increasing their interest and uptake of foreign languages and to increase their participation in the life long learning society.
The tourism is a rapidly growing sector in Europe, the largest employer among all touristic activities, and makes a vital contribution to the economies of communities.
The overall objective of the project was to enable young male working in the tourist sector with particular “foreign language learning resistance” to establish their “enjoying language” by increasing their interest and uptake of foreign languages and to increase their participation in the life long learning society. In order to achieve this, the specific objectives were:
• To develop a foreign language training methodology and concept by employing learning contents that reflected the personal preferences and interests of the target group, such as tourist attractions, useful phrases etc. in order to attract participation and increase motivation to take up foreign language learning.
• A Handbook and methodological tool box have been developed, containing sections for the special requirements of the following target groups: Entrepreneurs in the tourist sector and people working in the tourist sector.
• The material includes aspects of diversity, especially of the cultural and social background of the learners in order to overcome sectoral divides and other cultural differences.
• Inclucion of ICT as a very useful incentive to agree on further learning, especially foreign language learning, because for some tourist entrepreneurs it's easier to use ICT due of the time schedule they have.
• The project contents and results have been widely spread through a variety of demonstration and dissemination activities.
The impact was enhanced by the formation of strategic working Groups, from the start of the Project, to advise and evaluate the products, and strategic networks, which was informed of progress during the project. These groups included employers- and workers’ representatives, and learning providers. The courses was tested with teachers and tourist entrepreneurs during the project, and are also freely accessible for two years after the end of the Project and can be transferred to other learning providers and employers. The project results have also been disseminated to non-partner countries, through the partners’ extensive networks.
The project addressed the need and constrains through developing concepts of foreign languages learning employing specific strategies of learning for potential learners in the tourism sector.
Skills of using foreign language are one of the important needs of tourism sector. In the sector of tourism the spirit of entrepreneurship connected with ability of using foreign languages can influence the success and development of business. According to previous project realised by project partners, most people working in the tourism sector understand and are aware of the need to know foreign languages but there are some obstacles which hinder learning of foreign languages (low motivation, not adequate learning materials, lack of time, high costs, and long distance to learning centres). The project partners have, on the basis of collected and/or adapted materials created a concept of foreign language Learning, focused on informal learning - different and fun that will have an influence on raising motivation and attractiveness of language learning.
Quality and Evaluation. Midterm and final progress reports have covered the process in the Project and the Products. These evaluation reports shows the status in the project and the cooperation between the partnership.
A Handbook, Toolbox and a CD designed for all adult education vocational qualification institutions and trainers was produced.
Website. The different Products are available for free downloading on the Projects website: www.enjoy-language.se
Dissemination action plan. Dissemination reports and Flyers have been produced.
An exploitation plan and exploitation report was also produced.