Title Play The Learning Game
Project Number 2011-1-ES1-LEO05-35968
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
The current context sees a great number of different training products, that through e-learning, exploit the potential of ICT in terms of interactivity and flexibility, in order to innovate educational methodologies.
Videogames and multimedia have now a huge potential for educational purpose that has been very little exploited.
The Play The Learning Game Project intends to enhace:
- better comprehension and knowledge of the most innovative softwares and technical solutions available onto the market to be used for developing educational contents
- identify and evaluate the Videogames available onto the market with an educational and training potential
- having access to e-learning courses to be used to implement innovative technical solutions for education and training
- Need of teachers and trainers to acquire the skills to make full use of advanced interactive and multimedia solutions for educational purposes
At present there are a great number of different e-learning training products, (training courses, training platforms etc.).
Most of these products do not exploit the full potential of ICT as contents and methodologies are still the result of adapting the education and training traditional approaches to the new digital context.
Videogames and multimedia are the only products where the development of contents and enhancement of technical resource grew together, exploiting at the best the interaction of the characteristics of the two aspects.
The pilot experience of the The Learning Game project, Socrates Programme Comenius 2.1 Action Nr. 128967-CP-1-2006-1-IT-Comenius-C 2.1, which has been evaluated as best practice in the field in the final assessment report sheet, during which schools from different European countries tested and exploited the potential of VideoGames and Multimedia for Educational purposes showed how important it is that teachers and trainers recognise the potential of new technology for establishing a common language with their pupils and trainees in order to raise their interest for learning.
The Play The Learning game project ameliorated the functionalities of the The Learning Portal, to integrate the databases of softwares, videogames and e-learning solutions with the latest releases in order to answer to the needs of two main fields of the training and educational system:
- The school system through the involvement of teachers and students with special necessities of vocational education institutions.
-Vocational training system through the involvement of in-company trainers Consortium
The project has involved 10 institutions representing the educational and training systems of 4 different European countries.
The partners were committed in adapting and transferring the ouputs of the The Learning Game Project in their own countries.
Tangible and intangible results
- The training course was adapted to the needs of the new target groups and updated in its contents according to the latest technical solutions.
- Training of the teachers of vocational education schools and of the in-company trainers. The teachers have acquired the skills in order to exploit the full potential of Multimedia and Videogames for the development of educational and training contents.
- Database of reviews of e-learning based educational and training materials was exploited with the new technical solutions.
- Database of reviews of Videogames that was used for educational purposes.
- National and Transnational reports were produced by the partners to analyse and present the results of the evaluation activity of the Portal and of its contents carried out by the trainers and teachers
- Insertion of the The Learning Game Portal into the vocational and educational systems of the countries involved
- 450 teachers working in vocational education institutes
- 90 in-company vocational trainers
- 9000 Students
- 3200 trainees
The Specific Objectives of the Play The Learning Game Project were:
- Create a transnational network of vocational education teachers and trainers interested in the innovative and effective use of Multimedia and Videogames for educational purposes(During the whole project)
- Identify Videogames that have an educational and training potential (First year)
- Identify e-learning sources to implement innovative technical solutions for education and training (First year)
- Train teachers and trainers to give them the necessary skills to make use of advanced interactive and multimedia solutions for educational purposes (Second year)
All targets are fully met.
The project was addressed to:
- Teachers working in vocational education and training schools
- In-company trainers
The main project activities were:
Creation of a transnational network of vocational education teachers and trainers. (During the whole project)
Updating of the Manual on the application of multimedia solutions to education and on the development of videogames for educational purposes.(First year)
Review of existing videogames and e-learning products in order to assess their potential in being used to develop Multimedia and Videogames educational products. (First year)
Organisation of workshops addressed to vocational education teachers and trainers to test the Learning Game Portal (Second year)
Promotion of a transnational discussion among teacher and trainers focusing on the exploitation of the educational potential of Multimedia and Videogames (Second year)
The partners continue to disseminate the project results. Journal articles, maintaining links to the project portal, new links ...
The partners will continue to update the materials on the site so it can be used by the teacher concerned and by the network of schools created in the project.
The network of schools and the project partners propose related video games for education projects.
The partners organized workshops and seminars for teachers using project materials.
The teachers can continue to participate in the project forum.
The partners can update the database of reviews by introducing new reviews.
Information and Communication
material for open learning
open and distance learning
The main project results are:
• eLearning based teaching and training materials (First year)
• Videogames reviewed to explore and highlight their educational potential (First year)
• Training Manual on the development of videogames for educational purposes.(First year)
• Pilot courses, produced by teachers and trainers, exploiting the potential of videogames, multimedia and e-learning based solutions for educational purposes (Second year)
• Transnational network of teachers and trainers interested in exploiting multimedia and videogames for educational and training purposes (during the whole project)
• Teachers’ and trainers’ acquisition of the necessary skills to exploit the potential of multimedia and videogames for education and training (Second year)