Title INNOVATION TRANSFER NETWORK FOR MEDITERRANEAN MARICULTURE
Project Number 2010-1-GR1-LEO 05-03986
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
INTRANEMMA is a two year project funded by the EU Lifelong Learning Programme through the Greek National Agency. It identified priority vocational skill needs in the Mediterranean mariculture industry and in response developed and piloted innovative sector led programmes aimed towards improving vocational skills and ensuring sustainability in sea bass and sea bream aquaculture.
In the current crisis climate many jobs are at risk with several company expected closures. In this environment innovation transfer at fish farmer’s level is expected to act as facilitator and catalyst of closer collaboration and deeper understanding. INTRANEMMA brought together Mariculture industry partners for the first time in order to identify joint knowledge / training gaps and to develop applied targeted training courses for the Mediterranean Mariculture industry.
The INTRANEMMA project identified priority vocational skill needs in the Mediterranean Mariculture industry and in response developed and piloted innovative sector led programmes specifically for the Mediterranean region, aimed towards improving vocational skills and ensuring sustainability in sea bass and sea bream aquaculture.
INTRANEMMA built upon a past LDV project (WAVE‐Working in Aquaculture Validation of Experience) which created a Master List of competencies endorsed by the Federation of European Aquaculture Producers (FEAP) and an EQF sectoral pilot project titled “VALLA” (Validation of All Lifelong Learning in Aquaculture).
The partnership linked the relevant Mediterranean actors, Producer Associations from Greece (FGM), Turkey (MFFA) and Spain (AROMAR), ensuring that the project was industry led to ensure that the outputs met the needs of the industry, especially in areas critical for the sector’s sustainability. The participation of AQUATT which developed the WAVE methodology also ensured a common sectoral approach relevant to skill requirements as well as learning outcomes.
The project outcomes were training courses designed to provide learners with the required competencies. AQUARK led the course organisation and ensured that experienced industry experts in the various topic ares were involved in the development of the courses which guaranteed that the courses were relevant to the sector.
In total, INTRANEMMA developed 6 training courses which were carried out over 9 training events, culminating in the MEDAQUA CEO Event providing innovative solutions to identified training gaps/needs. These courses were rolled-out during September and October 2012 in Athens, Bodrum and Valencia.
The INTRANEMMA project is the first of its kind developed by the Associations of Mariculture producers to identify areas where innovation is required with an aim to design applied training courses to meet these needs. INTRANEMMA has met all of its objectives:
1) The consortium identified labour market needs (LEO-TraInno-4) through engagement with industry using 3 federations producers (APROMAR (Spain), Federation of Greek Maricultures (FGM) (Greece), Mugla Fish Farmers Association (Turkey) ). The INTRANEMMA series of 6 training courses was developed based on an extensive needs analysis of the Mediterranean sea bass and sea bream mariculture sector across Greece, Spain and Turkey. For the first time these associations collaborated to identify the markets needs in terms of skills, competences and training.
2) The consultation with industry stakeholders enabled the identification of several bottlenecks to the sector. The innovative training courses were developed by industry experts to improve skills and share much needed knowledge. This has helped to ensure the sustainability of the project in the short and long term (through face-to-face training, online materials and video broadcasts) and the industry in the longer term (LEO-SpObj-b). By specifically targeting knowledge gaps and sector bottlenecks, the courses helped to transfer the latest knowledge, update and upskill workers and also provided a forum for sharing experiences.
In the original application it was stated that the consortium would deliver 3 training courses. After carrying out the needs analysis it was evident that there was a greater need for several training courses covering various topics. In total INTRANEMMA developed 6 training courses which were carried out over 9 training events, culminating in the MEDAQUA CEO Event providing innovative solutions to identified training gaps/needs. This has resulted in an over achievement. These courses were rolled-out during September and October 2012 in Athens, Bodrum and Valencia. This amount of training could not have been delivered if it were not for the trans-national cooperation among the partners.
Statistics for all courses:
o 9 courses run in 3 countries
o 202 participants from 5 countries
o 23 experts involved from 7 countries
o 89 companies/organisations received training from Greece, Turkey, Spain, Croatia, Cyprus and Israel (108 companies/organisations were involved)
o 37 senior executives attended the CEO event
Utilization and distribution of results
Recognition, transparency, certification
Open and distance learning
Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities
open and distance learning
program or curricula
INTRANEMMA developed 6 training courses which were carried out over 9 training events, culminating in the MEDAQUA CEO Event providing innovative solutions to identified training gaps/needs.
New training material was developed for the training courses and was piloted in the following countries during September and October 2012:
• Innovative solutions in Feeding Management for sea bass and sea bream (Turkey and Spain)
• Innovative Vaccination strategies for sea bass and sea bream (Turkey and Spain)
• Innovative solutions in increasing predictability in sea bass and sea bream hatcheries (Greece)
• Innovative solutions in Genomic applications for sea bass and sea bream (Greece)
• Innovative solutions in Processing Technology and creation of added value products and services for sea bass and sea bream (Greece and Turkey)
• Mediterranean Mariculture Vision 2020 - MEDAQUA CEO Event (Greece)