Title Individual Permeability Careers in the Sectors of Geriatric and Medical Care
Project Number DE/11/LLP-LdV/TOI/147436
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Marketing Text By which way get professionals of the elderly and the medical care in working activities which must be dealt with according to the EQF level 6 qualifications? The challenge is that vocational training up to level 5 is based on action areas and working activities of the care sector. But, the academic qualification, needed from level 6 of the EQF is focussed on knowledge-based, analytically and conceptually oriented modules. The project has developed with participants from five European countries practical results facilitating the transition from vocational training activities in activities with academic qualifications. Individual careers has been relieved, the attractiveness and sustainability of the work could be increased in the caring professions.
The overall objective of the project was to improve the permeability between the vocational training system (VET) qualifications and academic qualifications in the field of elderly and medical care. The supply of skilled workers in the care areas should be improved as transnational as well as nationally.
For that purpose the competency standards of the professional activities at level 5 were compared with the working activities reserved today for academicly trained employees (level 6). Possible career paths in national and transnational perspective have been designed and described in case studies. These paths could allow the recognition of competencies acquired through formal, informal and non-formal learning in educational opportunities and vocational activities. An improved transition between the action-oriented training of skilled workers (Vocational Education and Training) and the knowledge-based, analytical and conceptually oriented bachelor's studies has been supported by a competency matrix for nursing (elderly and medical care) and an adapted method for the determination of individual competence profiles. Furthermore in the participating countries has been tested the conditions which must be met for both horizontal and vertical mobility within the nursing professions. So-called "compensatory measures" have been researched, tested and adjusted.
Therefore the Project Pro Care Career contributed to transparency concerning the learning outcomes in the professions of nursing and medical care. It described ways to recognize the qualifications of vocational education along the career path - including the necessary compensatory measures.
Steps of the proposed project in detail:
1. Evaluation of the competence standards formulated in the project Pro Care with the aim to develop adapted competency standards both for the vocational training and academic studies in the elderly and medical care.
2. Comparison of differentiated learning outcomes of vocational training qualifications, academic and professional activities in the sector of elderly care in five countries in the vertical (from nursing assistants to care manager or EQF Level 2 - 6) - based on the competency standards of the project ProCare.
3. Comparison of differentiated learning outcomes of vocational training qualifications, academic and professional activities in the field of medical care in Germany in the vertical (from Level 4 - 6) - based on the competency standards of Pro-Care.
4. Presentation of individual cases for individual career possibilities from non-academic in academic education: testing the developed tools and presentation of the scope for action in the participating countries. Case studies from the field of medical care will be developed too.
5. Development of modular training plans with learning outcomes in elderly care which enable the transition from EQF level 5 to EQF level 6 - considering the individual competences.
6. Development of modular training plans with learning outcomes in medical care which enable the transition from EQF level 5 to EQF level 6 - considering the individual competences.
7. Assessment and review of these work and learning processes in the care sector in accordance with the existing instruments in the LLP (NQF, EQF, ECTS, EQARF).
8. Adaptation of the method for determining individual competence profiles for the vertical permeability in the elderly and medical care.
9. Supporting instruments to enhance the recognition procedure.
10. Valorisation of project results in the partner countries, in particular by communicating project objectives / results to those institutions and representatives responsible for education and training in the sectors elderly and medical care.
Utilization and distribution of results
Recognition, transparency, certification
Sectors Human Health and Social Work Activities
transparency and certification
The web-site is constructed along the 9 products of the project Pro care Career:
• Web-site of the project Pro Care Career
• Competence standards EQF-Level 4,5,6 in elderly care and possible career paths (database, visualisation)
• Decribed and evaluated working and learning processes in the medical care (database, visualisation)
• Compensation measures for vertical mobility (Description of various instruments)
• Assessment method for individual competency profiles in the elderly and medical care (Instrument for self assessment and assessment by others)
• Cases for indivual career building in the sectors (career stories)
• Toolbox: instruments for the recognition of training and studies in the elderly and medical care (paper)
• European conference to promote permeabilty and mobility in the care professions