Title Innovative Training on the Internationalization of the SMEs
Project Number 518685-LLP-1-2011-1-GR-LEONARDO-LMP
Project Type Development of Innovation
Country EU-Centralised Projects
Marketing Text INT-SME will provide input to companies on how to internationalise their activities not with traditional modules but with creative Case Studies, lists of Dos and Don'ts/Lessons Learnt and "soft landing experiences" that promote the inspiration and creativity of entrepreneurs.
Summary Our consortium decided to develop the INT-SME project, an online e-learning platform in which the training will be provided to SMEs through real and/or fictitious Case Studies (CS) narrations instead of traditional modules so as to provide them with ‘informal learning experiences’ and enhance their respective skills and competencies through an innovative manner. The CS will aim to show how SMEs have dealt / can deal successfully with issues arising at the different stages of the internationalisation process and each CS shall end with learning points (Dos & Don’ts, Lessons Learnt, etc.). Simple and short training modules shall complement the CS where necessary, e.g. in cases where a specific theory needs to be further described or where a specific notion has to be explained. These CSs will be grouped under each of the four key areas identified as important to be affecting exporting prospects, so as to facilitate their searching process by the SMEs. Additionally, a forum shall be developed that will complement the CS narrations through personal stories of the participants and improve the visibility and sustainability of the project. Another novelty of the project is the “soft landing experience” offered to some SMEs that undertake the training. The soft landing will provide SMEs the opportunity to visit a BIC of another country for 3 days. During their stay they will be provided with a fully equipped office free of charge and also personal guidance and assistance about entering the local / national market or even other international leading regions.
The project aims primarily at the European innovation / research driven SMEs, and particularly SMEs who are tenants at BICs. Therefore, the main objectives of ITN-SME are:
- To raise awareness among the target groups (direct: innovation driven SMEs; BIC tenants that are usually SMEs in terms of size and financial status; other SMEs who operate in traditional sectors and are nevertheless interested in identifying novel ways in pursuing an international market for their products. Indirect: BIC managers who will use the training) of the need to internationalize and the opportunities it offers;
- To identify the main barriers, needs and skills required for the target groups to explore internationalization, as the increase of the number of internationalized SMEs must start by understanding, which are the main problems faced by SMEs when given the possibility to start operating in a foreign market.
- To help SMEs to overcome those barriers through a set of skills and tools to engage into international activities, as the training which would be offered to the target groups covers not only the development of the internationalization strategy, but also focuses on "soft skills" development which are needed to build the capacity within the SMEs.
- To provide a comprehensive training to the direct target groups to enable them to internationalize their businesses. The training toolkit developed by the project will offer a full set of case studies, tips on how to develop a smart international strategy plus a soft landing service.
- To develop suitable methods and techniques of trainings that fit target groups needs and requests
- To strengthen the inside capacities of SMEs through an effective training. Access to this training will increase their competitive position and growth potential.
Objectives after completion of project:
• To provide the training programme to European BICs managers to utilise when providing counselling to their tenants.
• To foster the regional development and competitiveness and strengthen the regional identity through successful BICs (We strongly believe that skills and knowledge of the BICs managers have direct impact on the performance of the tenants of the incubators).
• To support entrepreneurial spirit and development of start-ups, generating employment opportunities in EU regions.
• To improve the internationalisation perspectives and results of all involved regions in the project.
• To inform local stakeholders in regions outside the consortium about the benefits of the project
• To explore the possibility to utilise the project results as commercially viable products.
To inform the local and regional decision and policy makers on the benefits of SMEs internationalisation so as to introduce appropriate and relevant measures.
Open and distance learning
Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities
Other Service Activities
procedure for the analysis and prognosis of the vocational training requirement
open and distance learning
Product information The INT-SME project introduces novel training methods (Case Studies/Dos & Donts/Lessons Learnt instead of traditional modules) as well as the "soft-landing" experience, an innovative concept in the provision of experience to enterprises in introducing themselves to foreign markets. INT-SME is tailored to the needs of working people with limited time and promotes more learning-conducive working environments, as a basis for the development of vocational skills important to the labour market needs.