Title Get Mobile: Guidance and European Training in Mobility Opportunities for Business - Inspiring Lifelong Learning and Enterprise
Project Number UK/11/LLP-LdV/TOI-430
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Country UK-United Kingdom
Marketing Text During this project Get Mobile has provided training and guidance materials to potential host SMEs and female graduates (unemployed/under-employed) in how to get the most out of a European mobility experience.
The Get Mobile project has:
-Encouraged greater European mobility of recent female graduates who are unemployed/under-employed through Get Mobile Circles, the Get Connected Zone and online material such as case studies.
-Promoted the value of hosting a trainee to SMEs (particularly female-owned SMEs)through Business Briefing workshops, a Business Handbook and online material such as case studies.
-Better prepared both graduates and SMEs to get the most out of a mobility experience through the above results.
At the beginning of this project, Get Mobile found that 99% of all enterprises in Europe are SMEs with 90% of these being micro-enterprises (less than 10 employees). These SMEs have traditionally under-utilised the potentially valuable resource and source of innovation and creativity that European female graduates undertaking a mobility provide. Research showed that SMEs (particularly female owned micro businesses) had a 'fear of the unknown' in taking on a placement trainee, particularly one who is not a native speaker. As a result, many micro-enterprises across Europe were missing out on potential innovation, creativity, intercultural and language learning benefits that larger SMEs and companies with more resources benefit from. Companies with placement vacancies in Business and Sciences (BS) also said they wanted more female trainees to apply but found it difficult to access this target group. Female graduates also expected greater levels of personal support which they often said was lacking from companies (25% compared to 16% men) deterring them from going on a placement abroad (WSF, 2007).
Get Mobile aimed to, and succeeded in, providing training and guidance materials to SMEs (esp. micro-businesses) and female graduates (esp. unemployed in BS) to encourage both under-represented target groups to participate in future European mobilities.
We helped female graduates to see that post-university work experience is crucial to accessing jobs and European mobility can support labour market access. For females graduating in BS or thinking of starting up in business, a lack of role models and relevant work experience made labour market access harder. The project therefore also encouraged more women-owned SMEs in the EU (a traditionally difficult group to engage in mobilities) to host female trainees looking to gain skills and/or start up in business. This will help improve access and provide relevant role models to graduates.
Get Mobile has achieved all expected results. A summary of completed results is given in the section below.
- (WP1) Project Management reports were completed regularly to track progress and finance
- (WP2) Focus groups and desk research took place in UK, NL and IS resulting in a female graduates Needs Analysis Report
- (WP3)Focus groups and desk research took place in UK, IT, IS and TR resulting in an SME Needs Analysis Report
- (WP4)Business Briefing Workshops were developed and carried out and the Business Handbook was completed
- (WP5) Both the Training Pack and Learner's Pack were completed and a Training the Trainers Session delivered
- (WP5) Get Mobile Circles were delivered with female graduates in UK< NL & IS
- (WP6 & 8) The Get Connected Zone and project website was developed and is online at www.getmobileproject.eu
(WP6) A range of webinars were produced and disseminated online
- (WP7) Internal and external evaluation reports completed
- (WP8) 4x e-newsletters were produced and disseminated giving news and updates on the project
- (WP8)Project Postcards were produced to disseminate the project at local events and venues
- (WP8) A Business Plan has been produced outlining sustainability for the project results after the funded period
- (WP8) Final Conference was delivered in conjunction with the 2013 European Employment Forum
Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities
program or curricula
- Needs Analysis Report of Female Graduates in BS relating to mobility
- Needs Analysis Report of SMEs (especially female owned) relating to mobility
- Business Briefing Workshops and Handbook, providing information and advice on taking trainees from abroad for internships
- Training the Trainers Pack, including lesson plans, tools and resources supporting facilitators to deliver the Circle to female graduates
- Learner's Pack, including tools and resources to support female graduates during the Circles and in finding/undergoing a placement
- Get Mobile Circles delivered to female graduates in UK, NL & IS
- Get Connected Zone and project website online at www.getmobileproject.eu providing a dissemination tool and portal to other results
- Webinars introducing business briefings and case studies of SMEs and graduates who have previously been involved in mobilities
- 4x e-newsletters produced and disseminated giving news and updates on the project
- Project Postcards produced to disseminate the project at local events and venues
- Business Plan produced outlining sustainability for the project results after the funded period
- Final Conference delivered in conjunction with the 2013 European Employment Forum