Title Virtual Performance Centred Environment for Training in Nanoelectronics
Project Number FR/06/B/P/PP-152507
Project Type Pilot Project, project with multiplying effect (2000-2006)
The multidisciplinary science of nanoelectronics is just emerging. There is a need of re-training of personnel in the enterprises and education of young specialists for the sector and a collaborative development approach will provide the most effective training.
The purpose of Train_Nanoelectronics project was to foster synergy and to exchange experience and resources of developers and users of vocational education in high-tec through development of distributed curricula in the newly emerged interdisciplinary sector of nanoelectronics. The Internet-based courses developed within the Train_Nanoelectronics project provide new opportunities for co-operation between vocational training institutions, universities and SMEs in the sharing of knowledge and educational resources: a distributed support system in four European countries was created.
The multidisciplinary science of nanoelectronics is just emerging. There is a need of re-training of personnel in the enterprises and education of young specialists for the sector and a collaborative development approach provides the most effective training.
The Train_Nanoelectronics project is aimed at the design, development, evaluation and implementation of a Virtual Performance Centred Environment for Training in Nanoelectronics. Its specific objectives are:
- Development of a virtual performance-centred environment for university and vocational education in nanoelectronics with tools for groupwork and a knowledge base.
- Design and development of distributed curricula in nanoelectronics technology, design and packaging.
- Development of an on-line performance support system for course developers.
- Training the core user groups of training providers– educational policy makers, teachers and managers in the innovative learning approaches and in the effective collaborative use of new technologies in education.
Whether used to enhance traditional classroom teaching or for distance education, the Internet has forever transformed the way we teach, learn, and transfer knowledge in the digital age. Policy makers, educational managers, teachers and tutors training is related to the efficient support system set up and to the new way of curricula development and implementation.
Train_Nanoelectronics project is a continuing work, based on an existing model, developed working prototype, conducted empirical research and analysis of experimental data that have been done in a previous project – Internet-based Performance Centred Instruction – the Link between Work and Education (IPCI F/02/B/P/PP-118074). In the Train_Nanoelectronics the added value is:
- re-design of the learning environment to a virtual one with a distributed data base on the servers in different countries,
- development of software tools for online collaborative learning and project design, i.e. for distributed learning and eWork,
- development of a performance support system for on-line course development,
- distributed curricula are developed, i.e. the courses are developed in a co-operative mode. Each part of the curriculum is designed by the best laboratory in the field, e.g. French partners are best in the design and they will work on the nanoelectronics design, the Netherlands partners – in technology etc.
- database to facilitate access to training and professional realisation of women in the sector of micro- and nanoelectronics and to provide equal opportunities for women and men,
- and last but most important added value is that courses in the new multidisciplinary science were developed - in nanoelectronics.
Open and distance learning
Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities
material for open learning
open and distance learning
The main project outcomes are:
- Virtual performance-centred environment for university and vocational education in the most rapidly developing science: nanoelectronics (Train_Nanoelectronics environment).
- Distributed curricula in nanoelectronics technology, design and packaging with six training courses:
- Carbon Nano Tubes,
- Scanning Tunneling Microscopy,
- Nanoelectronics Packaging,
- Scanning Force Microscopy,
- Network of tutors/coaches in the partners’ institutions. It is a distributed system for learner coaching from subject matter experts/professionals in nanoelectronics in four European countries.
- On-line performance support system for course developers.
- Database to facilitate access to training and professional realisation of women in the sector of micro- and nanoelectronics and to provide equal opportunities for women and men.