Title European model of strategic competence management in small and medium enterprises in tourism sector
Project Number 2010-1-PL1-LEO05-11464
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Marketing Text The project was aimed at development of Strategic Competencies Management Model in SMEs in HORECA sector on the European level. The elaborated methodology is supported by the Compete! tool, for measuring competencies of employees in specific job positions: receptionist, cook, waiter, room service, manager. The strategic competence management, based on common European competence profiles, enables to manage professional development of people in HORECA organizations, taking into consideration companies' strategic goals.
The EU tourism industry has difficulties in attracting the necessary skills and is confronted with a high turnover in personnel.This is due to a mismatch between the demand for skills from the tourism sector and current skills supply provided through education and training, as well as the sector's reputation for sometimes unfavorable working conditions- especially in HORECA sector.(Study on the Competitiveness of the EU tourism industry. Final Report, 2009). A problem related to small and medium enterprises is ensuring the continuation of the company after the first generation and, connected with this, the transfer of knowledge.
The aim of the project was profesionalization of HORECA companies on the European level through using the model of strategic competence management for individual and professional development of employees and defining common competence standards.
In the context of EU and national policies, the particular aims of the project included:
- defining and promoting on the European level standard of competence essential for the chosen professions of tourism industry
- promoting in small and medium-sized enterprises strategic thinking about the company and employee competence
- defining the needs of an employee training on the basis of competence research in an easier way
- unification of the model of strategic competence management and development plan based on the strategic company plans
- creation of and easy-to-use competence management tool in small and medium-sized enterprises
- strengthening the synergy between the systems of continuing education in tourism industry in partner counties
The Partners of the project were companies and institutions from countries where tourism is an essential sector of economy. They were chosen in a way that content-related and organizational possibilities could be provided. The main criteria for choosing the partners were: appropriate potential in training and HR consulting, experience in realizing training projects, including international ones, access to a wide representation of communities to which the project results will be aimed at. The partners are both, private companies working for profit as well as non-profit institutions and organizations.
The project brought amongst other the following main results:
- Competence Model - a set of standardized strategic competences for 5 job positions in HORECA sector
- increase of awareness and knowledge about strategic competence management among SMEs - at least 1500 people took part in seminars and conferences; project outputs, of which the Compete! tool is of the most important for companies, are available on the website and CD in 6 languages.
- provide the SME with the ICT tool for competence management
- unification of approach to competence evaluation and development of competences
The project consisted of 11 work-packages, which were designed in a way to ensure the proper project execution.
In the beginning the Partners carried out an in-depth analysis of the needs of competence management and development in tourism sector, which gave the overview of the situation in Partners’ countries. The research and comparative report helped to detect the most important problem of the HORECA sector and find out which of the so called soft skills are the most importan in this business.
In the second stage a methodological framework for preparation of strategic plans for competence management in hotels and restaurant was developed. The main idea of the methodology is to build the strategy, in relation to actual problems, which derive from competence gaps. Bridging these gaps will redound to some extent to achievement of these business goals.
For this reason a set of common European competences - competence profiles - for certain occupations in the hotels and restaurants was developed. The competencies included in the model are these which were chosen by the sector as the most important. On this basis the Partnership developed questionnaires for testing the level of competences. The questions refer to particular behavior of the worker in standard situations at work.
The content mentioned above was then implemented in the web application which allows for managing the strategic skills of workers.
The pilot implementation of the Strategic competence management model with the use of Compete! tool was carried out in 42 European enterprises operating in HORECA sector.
At the end, the Partneship elaborated the Handbook on strategic management of competences in HORECA sector for all the people interested in the methodological backgrount of the Compete! tool.
During the project implementation all partners strived to reach the managers of hotels and restaurants and encourage them to use the tool, but also the VET providers, universities and social partners were invited to get acquainted with project results.
The project was managed by the Polish training and consulting company Nowe Motywacje, in partnership with Granaforma (Spain), Centro Studi e Formazione Villa Montesca (Italy), Rivas Tour (Bulgaria), Institut Inpro (Czech Republic) and Federación Provincial de Granada de Hosteleria y Turismo (Spain).
Accommodation and Food Service Activities
procedure for the analysis and prognosis of the vocational training requirement
The main product of the Compete! is the Compete! tool for strategic competence management in SME in HORECA sector.
The tool was prepared in three executions:
BASIC MODEL - for companies interested in using standardized solutions. The pre-defined questionnaires were prepared to assess competencies on the basis of standardized profiles and detect competence gaps.
STANDARD MODEL - for companies who want to develop staff competences with the strategic approach.This MODEL consists of two modules:
- module 1 - tool for defining main problems in organization, which can be faced through development of specific competencies. Depending on the chosen problem, the tool will suggest the most adequate competencies that help to overcome these problems.
- module 2 - evaluates the competencies of staff in the chosen positions and allows for introducing development plans for ach worker, on the basis of detected competence gap.
ADVANCED MODEL - for companies ready to decide individually which competencies are the most important for reaching company's strategic goals. These companies will be able to create own competence profiles for workers and to evaluate their competencies through questionnaires generated by the tool.
In all the three models the tool generate individual reports for workers and comparative reports for the management as well as suggest various activities to be implemented in order to bridge these gaps. For example: tasks, coaching tips, trainings, professional literature, etc.
Additional products that may be useful for companies and other people interested in the topic are as follows:
1. Comparative report on Strategic Competence Management in Small adn Medium Enterprises in tourism sector in partners' countries.
The report shows the broad European context of strategic competence management in tourism sector, especially in HORECA companies. It was prepared on the basis of deep analysis of situation of HORECA sector in each partners' country, companies problems, approach to management and measuring of competencies in small and medium enterprises in each country.
2. Guidelines for strategic planning in competence management which presents the methodological approach to defining strategy of competence development on the basis of previously defined problems of the company.
3. Handbook for strategic competence management of staff in HORECA sector, which includes:
a/ Assumption of the model of strategic competence management in SMEs in HORECA sector
b/ Methodology for development of strategic plan by the company.
c/ Methodology of measuring competencies
d/ Manual for users of the ICT tool
e/ Recomendations for companies on practical exploitation of the results of the competence management.
Projecthomepage www.tourism-strategy.eu; compete.nm.com.pl/login