Title Framework for Continuing Educational Development of Trainers in General Practice in Europe
Project Number 2010-1-PL1-LEO05-11460
Product Framework for Continuing Educational Development of Trainers in General Practice / Family Medicine in Europe
Title Framework for Continuing Educational Development of Trainers in General Practice / Family Medicine in Europe
Product Type procedure for the analysis and prognosis of the vocational training requirement
Marketing Text Framework Document aims and objectives are to develop, implement and sustain in a long-term perspective Continuing Educational Development of Trainers in General Practice/Family Medicine (GP/FM) in Europe.
Description The document is aimed at professionals, involved in development of family medicine teaching institutions around the world, especially in Europe. The authors believe that there are now a lot of institutions that are involved in organising teaching of family medicine at different levels. In order to do that, these institutions need to develop a strategy of supporting the educational development of their own teachers who usually work at different levels of expertise and in different contexts. The framework defines different levels of GP/FM educators’ expertise and defines necessary competencies for these levels. In this way, the document may serve as a guidance for personal development plans of family medicine teachers in the area of medical education and also as a guidance for heads of faculty on how to develop a strategy of faculty development in their own institutions.
Teachers / Trainers of Family Medicine / General Practice,
Educational experts in the field of primary care,
Practicing General Practitioners / Family Physicians
Trainees in the field of Family Medicine / General Practice
The Framework in future would be expected to guide development of GP/FM educators and set the basic standards for training the trainers of different levels, monitoring their progress and assessing their achievements. This should develop a sustainable background for the harmonization of GP/FM training throughout Europe, supported by a European network of highly trained teachers.
The framework provides the basis for the development of educational courses for GP/ FM teachers at 3 levels, and is based on an expertise model:
- level 1 course (facilitating the development from novice to competent educator)
- level 2 course (facilitating the development from competent to proficient educator)
- level 3 programme (facilitating the development from proficient to expert educator)
Area of application
Framework for Continuing Educational Development of trainers in General Practice / Family Medicine in Europe will serve as:
- reference document including guidelines and common standards for educational process of general practitioners/family physicians in Europe
- source of initiation and development of European discussion on harmonization and standardization of family physicians education on different levels of life-long learning process
- source of initiation and development cooperation of different European countries and institutions involved in GP/FM education
- basis for development of international network for knowledge and experience exchange in the field of life-long learning process of family physicians
- promotion of the concept of different levels of expertise of GP trainers in Europe (coherent with courses of all 3 levels: for competent educator, proficient educator and educational expert)