Title ACTrain - Accessible web based and interactive video supported skills transfer
Project Number 502521-LLP-1-2009-1-SI-LEONARDO-LMP
Product 7. Adaptations for Accessibility of target groups
Title 7. Adaptations for Accessibility of target groups
Product Type open and distance learning
Videos, subtitles, audio descriptions, adapted texts, video with sign language, translations, e-materials, e-handbook and much much more has been developed by the partnership ACTrain in order to provide Learning through ICT for everyone in Europe regardless of their socio-economic background. Adaptations have been developed in a very close cooperation with the target groups and experts with great deal of experience in the field of education and training of people with special needs.
By bearing in mind the specific needs of the target groups and the experience of the experts, the partnership ACTrain has so far agreed on the following adaptations:
1.) for the blind and partially-sighted:
• the blind will be able to download their lessons if they want to read them using their already existing screen readers such as Jaws, Proteus, Amebis, Virgo, Apollo, Zoomtext, Braille Display or Braille Line;
• all lessons will be available as an audio description, which is the best way to provide access to education and training for the blind and partially-sighted;
• the blind will hear what is on the photos or in the videos via the audio discriptions;
• since the innovative, though as yet unavailable Application Proteus, will orally guide the blind and partially-sighted throughout their whole training, they will no longer need any of their already existing screen readers, and will not have to buy any additional and expensive software or hardware. The partnership is developing an all-inclusive and innovative ICT tool for the education and training of people with special needs;
• moreover, the blind and partially-sighted will no longer need any of their existing devices, since the Application will include all the things they need to have access to education and training and
2.) adaptations for the deaf and hard of hearing:
• videos will have subtitles for a better understanding;
• sign-language videos will be made;
• photos, videos, and explanations will be used in order to enable the target group to understand the lessons – different teaching materials that will enable them to understand the lessons better;
• words hard to understand will be explained and described if necessary;
• new signs will be developed in sign-language;
• lessons will be structured according to the clarity principle with very clear beginnings and endings;
• synonyms will not be used, always the actual words;
• where necessary, concrete descriptions will be used for words regarding colours, forms, time, location etc.
Target group Adaptations are being adapted to the needs of 4 target groups: blind, partially sighted, deaf and hard of hearing.
Area of application