Title SIGNALL II
Project Number LLP/LdV/TOI/2007/IRL - 516
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Marketing Text Interesource Group (Ireland) Limited is proud to promote the SIGNALL II project. This Leonardo Da Vinci funded project brings together parents from Ireland, the UK, the Czech Republic, Finland and Poland to roll-out and localise a course called Perspective on Deafness at the Centre for Deaf Studies at Trinity College Dublin as part of the Bachelor in Deaf Studies.
Summary The course provides an overview on historical, contemporary local and international perspectives on deafness and on being Deaf. It introduces concepts as such as Deafhood (Ladd), the Sign Language Person (Jokinen) and Deaf ethnicity (Lane, Corker), as well as positioning Deaf community responses to challenges from liberal thought, the eugenics movement, as well as modern medical interventions. Delivered online in digital format by Deaf and hearing academics, the content is accredited as a 10 ECTS programme and is accompanied by multimedia content to support teaching and learning and a volume discussing key concepts in some detail.
Description The project brings together European Experts to develop a suite of learning materials that are delivered on-line. The project results include educational material comprising of, a DVD documentary; The first European text book on Deaf Studies- Experiencing Deafhood- Snapshots from Five Nations; 25 case study vignettes on deaf perspectives; 10 ECTS course; E-learning module with content in partner languages; pre-recorded lectures; presentations and workshops.
Utilization and distribution of results
Open and distance learning
Access for disadvantaged
Administrative and Support Service Activities
Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities
Human Health and Social Work Activities
Other Service Activities
program or curricula
transparency and certification
open and distance learning
procedure for the analysis and prognosis of the vocational training requirement
material for open learning
description of new occupation profiles
(1) DVD with voice over in English. Subtitles will also be provided in June 2010;
(2) Course content supplied with pre-recorded signed lectures in hi-def video;
(3) Voiceover included in Irish POD course for non sign language users;
(4) Specialised Moodle video-plug in that allows for simultaneous presentation of video and content slides;
(5) International survey and results from 5 countries;
(6) The first European textbook on Deaf studies;
(7) Multilingual Posters;
(8) Large number of non-European presentations and dissemination events where costs were covered by partner funds directly;
(9) Extensive dissemination events in each country.
(10) DVD documentary available online (http://www.vimeo.com/10638529)
(11) Project information available in Irish Sign Language on line (http://www.vimeo.com/9677662)
(12) Communication Guide (printed A5 Booklet) “Deaf Culture, Irish Sign Language and Communication”
(13) Links to VET delivery such as social workers, School of Nursing, HSE in Limerick and the Limerick City Fire Service who are now collaborating with the promoter to receive training and awareness and dealing with Deaf service users.