Title Sloop2desc: Sharing Learning Objects in an Open Perspective to Develop European Skills and Competences
Project Number 2009-1-IT1-LEO05-00225
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Marketing Text The Sloop2desc project: innovating education towards competence-based learning (inspired by the European Qualification Framework - EQF) through e-learning 2.0 strategies, the adoption of Open Educational Resources and the dialogue between the School and the companies.
The project has transferred and extended the results of the former project “SLOOP: Sharing Learning Objects in an Open Perspective”.
In both the SLOOP and the SLOOP2DESC projects, the focus was on the promotion of innovative e-learning strategies amongst teachers, and on the development and sharing of Open Educational Resources by a community of teachers; furthermore, a specific objective of the SLOOPO2DESC project was to support teachers in Vocational Education and Training (VET) to increase their knowledge and understanding of new educational systems that are based on learning outcomes and competencies. Specifically, the project referred to the European Qualification Framework (EQF), the reference framework adopted by the EU Parliament and Council in April 2008 to establish general criteria for comparing qualification and competencies systems developed and/or adopted in EU countries.
Actually, since EQF is a competencies-based system, there is a crucial need for VET teachers to further their understanding of the evaluation systems that companies are using ever more frequently to select young people when they complete their high school studies. In SLOOP2Desc, VET teachers have developed pedagogical competencies to be applied in educational activities that take new evaluation systems into consideration. In addition, the project has led teachers to greater “involvement in the drawing up of study programs”. Finally, SLOOP2desc has “improved the links between education and training professionals and the world of work”.
The Sloop2desc project has transferred some important results of the former Sloop project, and in particular: an effective methodology for e-learning; a number of detailed learning objects regarding elearning strategies; an innovative methodology to produce Open Educational Resources; the e-learning platform; FreeLOms, a repository of OER produced by teachers. The Sloop project had not selected a specific discipline or subject as one of the objectives, so its products (methodologies, learning resources and tools) were absolutely "general-purpose", which means that they could be used in different disciplines.
In the Sloop2desc project, we have reused and exploited the results of the former SLOOP project in order to train high-school teachers on the new European systems for certification. Training activities for Italian and Slovenian teachers have focused on the development of educational resources regarding the EUCIP system, a specific European model for certifying competencies in the informatics field; furthermore, in Italy, a group of teachers of Languages (L2 Italian, English, French, German , Spanish) have been trained on the European Framework for Language; finally, in Romania, professionals from the VET sector have analyzed certification systems in the maritime navigation field, as indicated by the International Maritime Organization (IMO).
During the first months of the project, the results of the Sloop project have been readapted to the new context; in particular, the results have been renewed with the last development in the educational technologies, by integrating concepts inherited by the Web 2.0 world (Oct 2009 – Feb 2010). Afterwards, a pilot online training course for 70 teachers in Italy has been run (Feb - Jun 2010), and evaluation of the course has provided feedback for further improvement of the project methodology (July- Sept 2010). Then, 11 online classes for 550 teachers in Italy have been activated and managed by 20 tutors selected from the trainees of the pilot courses (Oct 2010- Apr 2011). At the same time, the methodology has been tested with more than 100 teachers and VET professionals in Romania and Slovenia. Huge effort has been devoted by the partners to the dissemination and valorization of the project results, and it has run throughout the project.
Utilization and distribution of results
Recognition, transparency, certification
Open and distance learning
Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities
Information and Communication
program or curricula
transparency and certification
material for open learning
open and distance learning
The outcomes of the project includes several and important products; amongst them:
- A Moodle course to train teachers on: innovative e-learning strategies, production and sharing of OERs, competence-based education. The course reflects the e-learning methodology already tested in the former SLOOP project, and innovated according to the new advancements in the Educational technology field; the course is available in English, Italian, Romanian and Slovenian languages;
- More than 40 Moodle courses, produced by the teachers who have enrolled the online courses activated in the project, on the topics related to the selected certification systems (EUCIP and ECDL for informatics professionals; IMO for experts in the maritime navigation field; the European Framework for Language for teachers of Languages L2); each of the Moodle course implements a didactic model, and includes tens of OER; most of the Moodle courses are in Italian, with some n Slovenian and Romanian;
- More than 300 OER developed by using several tools and in different formats, from digital videos to SCORM-compliant learning objects
- FreeLOms, a repository of OERs aimed at high-school teachers, including whole Moodle courses;
- A book containing a detailed description of the work done, and of the results achieved, with general reflections on benefits and drawbacks of the sloop2desc model.
All the products mentioned above can be accessed via the project portal: www.sloop2desc.eu