Title A Step Towards the Light Project
Project Number LLP-LdV-TOI-2007-TR-067
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Marketing Text The main aim of A Step Towards the Light is to transfer and adapt profession trainings for blind or visually impaired people.) This will make them independent mobility, reach effective jobs and make them enter the labour force.
According to the data taken from institutions like İŞKUR (Turkish Employment Organisation), TURKSTAT and especially from TÜBİTAK (The Scientific and Technical Research Council of Turkey), which has made a comprehensive research about the living standards of disabled people in Turkey “Turkey’s Disabled Research 2002”, it is determined that seeing disabled people can’t reach jobs, even if they have a proper education and training. However, most of the people with seeing disabilities do not have any professional education. One factor for this circumstance is the families, who are not able to guide them; another factor is that the society and the companies are not enlightened about this issue. Nevertheless the result is the social exclusion of the people with seeing disabilities.
While the overall problem being tackled with this project is the integration of the people with seeing disabilities into the society regarding socio-cultural, socio-economic and socio-politic aspects,
The main aims and objectives of the project are, the integration of seeing disabled people into the society, the transfer of profession training modules and adaptation of them for seeing disabled in Turkey, Informative work for the families of the seeing disabled, institutions and companies; furthermore, especially identifying the problematic issues of people with seeing disabilities regarding companies and enterprises in terms of under-employment or unemployment and reasons behind them and establishing a service network for seeing disabled people.
Tangible outcomes will be the transfer of products for the occupational education and training from LdV partners, who are working on products for seeing disabled people. Informative material will be worked out and presented in conferences and workshops for the families of these people and also the problems with institutions and companies will decreased with efficient information panels, workshops, conferences etc. This will provide the solidarity between the seeing disabled, their families and the society. The impact will be a product package which will be taken over and disseminated from institutions which are working with seeing disabled.”
The main aim of this project is to transfer and adapt profession trainings for visually impaired people (18-35 years), who have a High School degree. This will make them reach effective jobs and make them enter the labour force. Also, the trainers training will be adapted with the expert of every module. Furthermore, a mobility training module will be worked out, which teaches them, how to act free in life and their workplaces. Another aim of the project is to enlighten the companies, the families and the seeing disabled about the problems the companies have with employing seeing disabled and vice versa. The institutional and bureaucratic barriers will be carried out with workshops, conferences and questionnaires. The setbacks or hesitations of the companies will be worked out and decreased.
All required services for the companies and the visually impaired and their families like:
• Support for seeking jobs
• Initial training at the new work place
• Orientation and mobility training
• Solve employing problems and intervene at that point; work close with state institutions and private companies
This disunity between seeing disabled and institutions is an important point on which this project will dwell on. Informative panels, conferences and trainings will bring all parties closer. These will be reached with the support of these 3 partners: İŞKUR (Turkish Employment Organisation), MEB (Ministry of Education) and ÖZİDA (Prime Minister Administration for Disabled Person). There will also be a SME in the role of a “Silent Partner”, who is ready to employ 2 graduates of the pilot courses phases that will take place at the 11th month of the project. The role of state institutions are very important in Turkey, so it is a must to work close with these three institutions, firstly to provide a proper communication between the two groups and secondly to support all these actions also after the project ending.
This project will raise the awareness of both groups and will help to avoid barriers between seeing disabled people and companies.
Administrative and Support Service Activities
program or curricula
description of new occupation profiles
• EROCHANCE English Language Module (Beginner) English – Turkish CD-Rom for blind persons and visually impaired peoples.
• EROCHANCE English Language Module (Intermediate) English – Turkish CD-Rom for blind persons and visually impaired peoples.
• OBVOIUS (Basic Rehabilitation and Orientation) CD-Rom for development of independent mobility of blind and visually impaired peoples.
• ProBIQ/ C++ Software Programming for visualy impaired people that aimed to help the handicapped to get familiar with the IT applications.
• TELEPHONE OPERATOR TRAINING to educate the blind persond about operation of a modern, software controlled telephone system, Practising all typical work processes in telephone central, Writing on the PC, Voice-technique and elocution and negotiation in standard and problem situations.
• AUDİO TYPIST to educate the blind persons about the written and verbal competences, keeping of the minutes, writing texts and letters after taking dictations or phonogram’s