Title New designers for production processes highly ergonomic and safe
Project Number 503041-LLP-1-2009-1- IT-LEONARDO-LMP
Project Type Development of Innovation
Country EU-Centralised Projects
ERGOMAN aims at the creation of the new profile "process and workplace ergodesigner" and of its consequent training model, to be adopted will have a strategic impact on all industrial product designers. Identified competences and methodology in ERGOMAN -keeping into account the European dimension- will establish a high quality reference model for lifelong learning of this target, that could be used by ergonomics centers and companies, networs and universities (starting form CREE, SIA, etc.).
Given the interdisciplinary nature of the knowledge area in this field, to support trainees in their personal development, the ERGOMAN pedagogical methodology exploits not only the training goals and contents to reach the defined competences, but also recommend learning methods (action learning, guidance form experts during the training period, etc.), tools (ICT aided learning), and frequency (given the facts that most of participants will be workers).
The project is an effective way to improve the continuing education system. The project involves the high level of educational systems and industries in order to meet the real target needs and build a solid cooperation among them. Effective links with other organisations in Europe, like International Ergonomics Association, SIE, CREE, have been developed to make stronger the opportunities of learning and the use/application of the acquired competences.
The human is central to process flexibility due to the ability to adapt to changing production scenario, equipment configurations, apply discretion and make choices difficult to program into equipment. But if there is a mismatch between the workload exposure and the person ability, repercussions can include reduced productivity, injury and quality problems. Continuous inflexibility production lines are more easily designed for optimal worker performance. High value added process in industry customises products and create high-value low-volume intelligent solutions, and this needs flexibility. Thus, the challenge is to train students, post graduated and professionals with adaptive, quick-response, process ergonomics design and evaluation skills, for modern flexible manufacturing process to improve quality, productivity and health of the worker.
This necessitates competence needs analysis and development of a responsive training model in ergonomic production processes design, in workplace ergonomics and safety optimisation. An iterative dissemination and quality loop will involve network creation for collaboration among professionals and centres of excellence.
Main steps and expected results of ERGOMAN project :
- new profile definition and competence building for designer of ergonomic production processes and workplaces (ergo-designer);
- educational model for training new ergodesigners ;
- dedicated network among centres of excellence, educational structures and new ergo-designers;
- Reduction in injuries to workers and compensation costs to companies
- Reduced occupational health social welfare costs for EU states
- Improved productivity and quality in workplaces and in production processes
- Improved flexibility in accommodating new product design at short notice and process changeover costs
- Higher quality and more innovative engineer problem solving skills
- Increased implementation of knowledge competence roadmaps, safety legislation and standards into European workplaces.
Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities
Human Health and Social Work Activities
procedure for the analysis and prognosis of the vocational training requirement
program or curricula
description of new occupation profiles
ERGOMAN will produce as results of the project:
- A report on the real needs for industry as for the ergonomic design of workplasces and work environment of production processes and workplaces
-Ergodesigner Profile, in terms of definition of the competences/curricula of the new profile
-Process Ergodesigner Training Model: model, in terms of contens, methodologies and training tools for the training of process ergodesigner
-Ergoman web site
-Ergoman interested parties network
-Organisation of 4 Ergoman workshop in Germany, Ireland, Slovenia, Italy