Title Berufe Global - Global Professions
Project Number DE/09/LLP-LdV/TOI/147263
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Globalisation changes demands on vocational education. The education needs to prepare for the internationalisation of the economic and working environment, global value creation chains and immigration processes. But the didactical materials on global learning still show deficits in many EU countries.
The goal of “Berufe Global” was the sustainable anchoring of development topics in the vocational education, in order to strengthen the social and intercultural competences of the trainees.
"Berufe Global" has been awarded with the Sustainability Prize 2013
Our project „BerufeGlobal“ was closely interrelated to the UN World Decade "Education for Sustainable Development". The increasing globalisation requires that employees have a great understanding for complex global relationships – in particular for their own occupational area. Competence for sustainable action is an integral constituent for occupational competence of acting.
However, sustainability topics are mostly not yet specifically included in curricula, and the EU-member states have made different progress on that. Development education shall be much more integrated in the VET practice and sustainable anchored in the systems.
This was the starting point for our project „Berufe Global“. We work with an innovative methodical approach – occupational area-oriented development education in VET - which was developed and tested in Berlin and was used as Good Practice for transfer in the five partner countries (DE, AT, BE, HU, PL).
The aims of the project were:
(1) Integration of the concepts of global learning in vocational training for the strengthening of socio-cultural and vocational competences
(2) Arrangement of further education for qualified teachers (Global learning in education)
(3) Networking of global learning players
(4) Awareness raising with regard to the importance of global learning for the economy, for the labour market and for employment
(5) Promotion of institutionalisation (curricula, curricula frameworks, tests, training courses, further education)
The approach included the development and test of learning and teaching materials and training of multipliers (learning materials for 3-4 occupational areas, available to be used in classroom education and self-learning).
In parallel, we worked with stakeholders to strengthen the institutional anchoring in VET-systems and processes. For this, we did also use existing good practice for institution building in European context, being further developed by the partners. We elaborated suggestions for adaptation of curricula, learning contents, exam questions and communicate them to decision makers and supporters.
In this respect, the project „BerufeGlobal“ contributes to a sustainable integration of global aspects into occupational competence o acting and consequently to the improvement of quality in VET.
The project brought together nine partners from five countries – VET institutions, NROs active in development education, social partners, administration.
Within the project „BerufeGlobal“, experts in the field of development education (NGOs & administration), education experts (teachers, instructors) and social partners (f.i. chambers), cooperated for actions at the level of IMPLEMENTATION and REGULATION.
The work plan included 8 work packages, closely inter-connected:
(1) Networking, analysis and concept development: Situation analysis & evaluation of pre-requirements for implementing development education in VET, relevance for the European labour market, identification of relevant stakeholders, exchange of Good-Practice, concepts for module development and institution building;
(2) geographic transfer: adaptation of the innovative methodical approach to profession-oriented development education – to be used in the partner countries (content, didactics, language) – on example of the courses for the wood and the gastronomy occupational areas;
(3) sectoral transfer: joint expansion of the method to 1-2 other occupational areas;
(4) trainings, tests, updating: training courses for teachers and multipliers about how to work with the method and the material, testing it with students, collecting feedbacks, arrange evaluation workshops, make conclusions;
(5) Institutional anchoring: work with decision makers to anchor development education in selected occupational areas (in curricula, content of learning, exam topics etc.);
(6) Distribution and exploitation at the level of school actors: work with education managers, teachers and instructors as well as with the respective networks (special interviews, workshops, presentations etc.);
(7) Distribution and exploitation at the level of the political stakeholders and the public: PR, work with media, work with administrations, social partners, lobby groups, NGOs etc), formulation of recommendations, attraction of supporters for setting up cooperation between schools, NGOs and administrations etc.;
(8) Project Management.
Several transnational working groups are set up to implement the project actions: WG material (development and adaptation of modules), WG training (competence development for teachers and multipliers as well as pilots with students) and WG institution building (work with decision makers in charge for curricula, exams and agreements).
The direct involvement of VET teachers (as participants of development, test and evaluation processes) and the students (as sources for feedbacks) guarantee the effectiveness of approaches.
Sustainability and outcome
The materials follow the different perspectives of teachers and students. Teachers find in each module a prefixed classification from which to draw, in order to anchor the unities to learning fields and in order to understand which competences are to be achieved
Open and distance learning
Accommodation and Food Service Activities
Public Administration and Defence; Compulsory Social Security
Other Service Activities
Information and Communication
procedure for the analysis and prognosis of the vocational training requirement
program or curricula
* Learning and teaching material for development education in VET (for various professions) and E-learning offers
* Materials regarding the methodological approach of „BerufeGlobal“ and guidelines for the transfer
* a platform for multipliers
* a transnational students‘ workshop and a film about the work with the methodological approach of “BerufeGlobal“
* Strategies to systematically integrate development education in VET and suggestions for involvement of development education topics into curricula, learning content, exams, school development plans etc.
* Project information (info-sheets, presentations, website)