Title Development and test of a modular ECVET system in the field of professional further training
Project Number DE/09/LLP-LdV/TOI/147251
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Marketing Text This innovation transfer project (ITP) has advanced and enhanced the ECVET-based method for the assessment of professional competencies that has been developed in the EU-project ESO-CERT so that it was applicable on a European-wide basis. This method allows certifying competencies regardless of how they have been acquired. This means that learning outcomes from formal, non-formal and informal learning are merged.
Summary This ITP dealt with a possibility to recognize informal and non-formal learning outcomes. This method was the only one that was currently actually applicable. Other methods or possibilities, such as external examinations at the chambers of commerce, had not achieved acceptance. The reason for this is the great complexity of the examinations and the barriers that result from it. The new system enables people who have gained a high level of competency in a certain profession, which they have not studied for or in which they do not have a degree, to have their learning outcomes recognized and thus being able to actually use them on the labor market.
Description M-ECVET-S contained elements of sectoral transfer, geographic transfer, and method transfer. In the M-ECVET-S project, there was a transfer of methods and results from the ESO-CERT project which was entitled “Using the method of standardized competence verification and certification in a credit point system for vocational training – an approach for the integration of the ECVET”. This transfer project advanced and enhanced the ECVET-based method for the assessment of professional competencies that has been developed in the EU-project ESO-CERT in order to make this method applicable on a European-wide basis. It was not relevant how the competencies that are assessed have been acquired. This means that learning outcomes from formal, non-formal and informal learning are merged. The enhanced method intended to assess modular training units that should lead to complex action-oriented competencies. Since this kind of assessment also considered competencies that have been acquired at the work-place, it leads to a greater transparency concerning the acceptance of these competencies by the industry. This enhances the employees’ company-wide mobility.
Recognition, transparency, certification
Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities
Administrative and Support Service Activities
Other Service Activities
transparency and certification
The project has the following results:
• Methodology for an ECVET evaluation of modular further training systems in the field of professional further training, considering also informal and non-formal learning outcomes
• Action-oriented description of learning outcomes/competencies for a modular further training system for the field of commerce (10 selected commercial modules, each comprising 160 hours of training)
• Methodology/instructions for drafting action-oriented competence descriptions for modular systems in the field of professional further training
• Practical example of awarding credit points for action-oriented competences (field of commerce), considering also formal, informal, and non-formal learning
• Tested and ready-for-use online-based competence assessment process for commercial competencies in companies that can be applied in various areas, such as competence evaluation and awarding of credit points, tests to select the appropriate training measures, aptitude tests, training needs analysis, etc.