Title PROWAT PLANNING AND IMPLEMENTING A NON-REVENUE WATER REDUCTION STRATEGY IMPROVES THE PERFORMANCE OF WATER SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION SYSTEMS
Project Number TR/06/B/F/PP/178065
Project Type Pilot Project, project with multiplying effect (2000-2006)
“Planning and Implementing a Non-Revenue Water Reduction Strategy Improves the Performance of Water Supply and Distribution Systems”;this is as a slogan of the Modern Water-World where “Non Revenue Water”is the difference between the volume of water put into a system and the volume of water paid by the customers and PROWAT Project worked on this slogan and developed specific training tools with a blended-learning module, a Water Loss Book & a software tool to reduce the loss of drinking water & provided technical assistance to Water Authorities in order to apply & disseminate the slogan as much as possible.For a successful non-revenue water reduction strategy; priority areas & operating policy of the water network must be identified and also methodologies and policies to assess, monitor & control elements of non-revenue water must be introduced where “NON-Revenue Water” has three components to be treated; real losses, apparent losses and unbilled consumption; and engineers/technicians/trainers are needed to be kept up-to-date management techniques and technology/structured training programmes are needed to be implemented. The developed modules and software tool are anticipating on this need and they are all introduced in the Water-Management, Construction & Education Sectors as well as in SMEs, VET organisations and Technical Universities & in the relevant departments of the Public & Governmental Organisations and Municipalities. The products have been designed to facilitate efficient Water Supply & Distribution Systems in Europe and provide educational information about best practices,new technologies & current regulations in the Water field for a non-revenue water reduction strategy.
Water is essential for life and plays a vital role in the European economic and social development therefore the benefits of reducing non-revenue water (thus reducing the loss of drinking water) means :
• Less water will be produced therefore less water will be treated and pumped;
• Producing less water means cost savings, due to savings in energy & treatment costs & this will reduce & inflence the bills of water-consumers, thus it will return as a benefit to the water-consumers,
• Reduction in apparent losses will result in more water being billed & thus it will return as income & money for water-consumers, for utilities & for the public,
• More water will be produced for more consumers and a high level of service will be supplied to the community;
• Less water will reduce sewage flows & pollution which means to have a better & clean environment,
• Consumption of sources of nature & environment will be decreased.
The new methods & techniques of the water-management-system, how the leakage of water is prevented, what the strategy is to be applied to reduce the non-revenue water & application of new systems in the design of drinking water network & distribution system & the methods of applications in Water-System are the subjects of PROWAT Project where this is a new, most recent & innovative concept in Water-World-Technology.The ratio of loss of water in Europe approximately is between 10~20% which means that 10~20% of money is lost in the economy & this amount increases in the developing-countries.There are two new & innovative scopes in PROWAT project; one is the subject considered is a new topic in Modern Water Technology World & the other is the vocational treatment of the engineers & technicians on this vocational-training-subject. There is a continuous interaction & close relation between project partners & target groups: engineers/technicians/trainers & government organisations/municipalities, as PROWAT Group is formed out from the target sectors of the project directly working in Water-Management Labour Market and from the SMEs, universities, training centres and VET Organisations.Also the official organisations are the links between governmental associations & the other partners.
As technology is changing , everything must obey the rules of this variation, so Water Technology must also be adapted & changed according to new & most recent technologies & current regulations.As the subject of our project is a new concept in Water-World-Technology & the application of the new techniques and regulations of the Water-Management-System is not very well & not widely known among the target groups and in the Water-Management, Construction & Education sectors and also there are no sufficient specified training modules & tools on this new & very recent subject, introduction of the system among the users by training is very important & must be performed immediately to reduce the loss of drinking water.
SO, INTERMS OF ITS SUBJECT, INNOVATION AND APPLICABILITY, PROWAT PROJECT IS PERFECT FOR A SELECTION TO BE A TRANSFER OF INNOVATION PROJECT AND AT THE SAME TIME, INTERMS OF ITS PRODUCTS, EVERYBODY IN THE WATER SECTOR MUST READ and USE PROWAT's PRODUCTS.
Algorithm of the PROWAT project is as follows :
• Need-Analyses have been done by interviewing experts and trainers in the Water Management,
• Water Loss Book and Specific vocational training tools, materials with a blended-learning module are established in the field of Water Management to Improve the performance of Water Supply & Distribution System by the reduction Strategy of Loss of Drinking Water,
• Products are designed in a way to facilitate efficient water management & control in Europe & provide educational information about best practices, new technologies & current regulations in the water management & control field,
• To educate the engineers at the strategic levels and technicians working in water sector and educate also the trainers in water-sector by the methods: e-learning & training modules (web-site, Water Loss Book, CD-ROM and a software programme).The content of the modules thus the content of the project have been tested by experimental vocational-training-courses and the modules have been improved after the test results of vocational-training-courses,
• Vocational-Training-courses in the education centres; universities, training centres, VET organisations; are and will be given to engineers/higher & middle technicians/trainers,
• Certifications, where they are approved and get validity from VET Organisations are given to the users in order to have a qualified position at the work-place or to help to find a job easily in Water-Sector,
• After making tests of all results, for an easy-way of learning, e-learning methods are performed with a web-site where it is the nowadays’ best way of “everywhere and everytime learning” training-method,
• The project results are designed in such a way that they are easily used everywhere & PROWAT Group is trying for a successful valorisation of the project among the users & all around Europe in order to have a successful project & a large group of engineers/higher & middle technicians/trainers to benefit from the products of the project,
PROWAT PROJECT BEING THE BEST FRIEND OF THE ENVIRONMENT WILL PROTECT THE NATURE AND WATER SOURCES BY ITS PRODUCTS, TRAINING MODULES & EFFICIENT WORKS FOR THE FUTURE OF THE WORLD.
Open and distance learning
Water Supply; Sewerage, Waste Management and Remediation Activities
Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities
Human Health and Social Work Activities
material for open learning
open and distance learning
In PROWAT Project, training tools with a blended-learning component, face-to-face + e-learning moodle have been established for everyone to have these vocational training courses from everywhere and whenever they want.Water Loss Book with a CD-ROM has been produced for the beneficiaries to learn how to prevent the loss of water.A software programme has been written to calculate the percentage of losses in a property, town or city.With this new innovative Water-Management subject, the great gap in training methods will be filled by our PROWAT Products.
In our project, everyone will find the answers for a loss of water and the tools of our Project will be a guide and set of principles, for SMEs, companies, associations, universities, training and VET centres, public, governmental organisations and municipalities about what they have to do in order to reduce the loss of drinking water.In PROWAT Project, it is aimed at to solve the problem of LOSS OF WATER in each city, province, town, district and all around Europe.
EVERYBODY WHO IS THE FRIEND OF WATER & WATER -WORLD EXACTLY MUST USE OUR PRODUCTS IN ORDER TO SAVE WATER & ALSO OUR ENVIRONMENT.