Title Ethnic Beauty Business Exchange (EBBE)
Project Number UK/08/LLP-LdV/TOI/163_165
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Country UK-United Kingdom
Marketing Text This project adapted a successful UK Customer Service L2 training programme contextualised for practitioners in the Ethnic Hair & Beauty (EHB) industry for the French and Italian sectors.
The project addressed the problem of poor availability of accredited contextualised vocational training materials for owner-managers in the EHB sector across the EU.
The project adapted an accredited Level 2 NVQ-equivalent customer care / retail skills programme that had been developed, tested, and proven in the field, and enhanced and translated it for the French and Italian EHB sectors. French and Italian business skills trainers were trained to deliver the programme. The materials were also made available as on-line e-learning content, but the target groups had a strong preference for class-based learning.
Project partners: Salon Strategies (UK), the Ethnic Hair & Beauty association (UK), Cosmedis (France), Hairy Taj (France), and Gli Annelli Mancanti (Italy).
The project supported the acquisition of improved business and management skills by SME owner-managers. These skills include communication, motivation, and personal management which support the individual’s personal development. The ability to maintain a viable business helps individuals meet their self-actualisation goals.
The project provided support to business skills trainers to deliver a proven and accredited training programme, improving their teaching competencies.
The project engaged a wide group of stakeholders to provide input into the further development of innovative and proven UK-developed vocational training materials for the EHB sector. The project also deployed these materials in independent projects in two states, gathering valuable experience and feedback for improvement of the materials. The materials are freely and widely available to all who wish to use them.
Business owners and managers operating within an SME environment are often difficult to engage in training and development activities due to time constraints and perceptions of benefits. This project increased the attractiveness of vocational training by promoting its validation by peer businesses, and also identified common business competencies required for business owners and managers within the EHB sector to be successful in the UK, France, and Italy. This improves the ability of employers to operate across different EU states, and for managers to secure employment in other EU states.
Access for disadvantaged
Recognition, transparency, certification
Other Service Activities
Arts, Entertainment and Recreation
open and distance learning
material for open learning
program or curricula
1) Updated UK Contextualised Level 2 Customer Service Skills for the Ethnic Hair & Beauty Sector. Training & Learning Materials and Tutor Guidance Notes (January 2009).
2) Level 3-4 Train the Trainer Programme Material for the new training models. Training & Learning Materials and Tutor Guidance Notes (March 2009).
3) Adapted & Contextualised Level 2 Customer Service Skills for the French Ethnic Hair & Beauty Sector. Training & Learning Materials and Tutor Guidance Notes (September 2009).
4) Adapted & Contextualised Level 2 Customer Service Skills for the Italian Ethnic Hair & Beauty Sector. Training & Learning Materials and Tutor Guidance Notes (September 2009).
5) E-Learning: Adapted & Contextualised Level 2 Customer Service Skills for the French Ethnic Hair & Beauty Sector.
6) E-Learning: Adapted & Contextualised Level 2 Customer Service Skills for the Italian Ethnic Hair & Beauty Sector.