Title Establishment and Integration of Environmental Ethical Values Into Environmental Pollution Control Practices for Decision Makers and Environmental Experts/Staff
Project Number 2008-1-TR1-LEO05-03203
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Marketing Text As the destructive consequences of environmental problems such as global warming have been felt heavily, people are becoming aware of the importance of the nature and their responsibilities towards environmental protection.From this point of view, it might be expected that attitudes towards the environment should be changed resulting in changes in behaviour for the betterment of present environmental problems. However, environmental problems are still there. Hence, this dilemma certainly required to discuss the need for a mechanism to change the code of behaviour and set of values which are internalized and adopted to guide their actions by the individuals. In order to achieve this, environmental ethic is needed to guide environmental experts/decision makers, in making sound judgements and decisions. Thus, the most effective impact of this project is the internalization of environmental ethics as a forceful tool for the establishment and application of environmentally sound policies and to take appropriate actions as a key personal in environmental protection and pollution control. It is, therefore, aimed to integrate and harmonize "environmental ethics" in environmental pollution control practices to increase environmental awareness of the environmental decision makers and experts. This provides a bridge between "environmental knowledge" and "environmental behaviors" of members of the target groups.
The need of harmonizing environmental knowledge with ethical values and thus achievement of the behavioral change and internalization of ethical values refers some recent efforts and experiences that are promoted by the European Union. Sixth Environmental Action Program of the European Community entitled “Environment 2010: Our Future, our choice”, proposes five priority avenues of strategic action; one of them is empowering people as private citizens and helping them to change behavior by giving people the information they need to make environment friendly choices. In addition to Sixth Environmental Action Programme, Arhus Convention which is in force since 30 October 2001 based on the premise that greater public awareness of and involvement in environmental matters will improve environmental protection. And a very recent document, Annual Policy Strategy for 2008 stresses on renewed Lisbon Strategy for growth and jobs as a major vehicle for promoting a more prosperous, environmentally responsible European Union. There is a need to increase public sensitivity to environment and development problems and involvement in their solutions and foster a sense of personal environmental responsibility and greater motivation and commitment towards environmentally sensitive behaviours. “Therefore ENV-ETHICS Project tries to train the target group; decision makers and environmental experts/executives/staff working in municipalities and public/governmental organisations as much as possible both on ethical values to increase environmental awareness and technical points of pollution control to have a clean and healthy environment by applying the main principles of European Environmental Policy and Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control: IPPC Directive 96/61/EC of 24 September 1996. The technical environmental pollution control part of the training was prepared based on the above mentioned Directive by one of our partner’s previous project numbered (RO/02/B/F/PP-141004).
Along this line, aims and objectives of the project is summarized as;
• To develop specific vocational training tools, especially development of relevant and innovative e-learning content, in the field of “Environmental Pollution Control” harmonized with “Environmental Ethical” values which is based upon the main principles of European Environmental Policy and Sixth Environmental Action Plan and renewed Lisbon Strategy, as a major vehicle for promoting environmentally responsible European Union. It is evident that, there is a lack of specific vocational training in the field of environmental ethics for the target groups especially for decision-makers and experts in this field. Technological assistance must be supplied to inform the people about the importance of acting in an environmentally friendly way (that is; obeying unwritten rules) and latest policies (that is obeying written rules) in order to have a better and cleaner environment.
• To design the final products in a way to help to facilitate efficient environmental pollution control by increasing the environmental awareness of individuals in Europe and provide educational information about specific cases, best practices, new technologies and current relevant EU legislation in the environmental pollution and ethic field. Blended learning methodology (face-to-face & e-learning) is helpful for everyone to have a chance to learn about how to measure environmental pollution and protection measures; by training-courses target groups achieve at least four desirable outcomes: increased ethical sensitivity in addition to environmental pollution knowledge, increased knowledge of standards of conduct, improved ethical judgement for environmental controversies and improved ethical will-power; project web-site supports knowledge and information in the communities.
• Certification will be given at the end of these vocational training courses which will have validity from VET Organisations and these will be helpful to the users in their employment and business.
Description There has been an increasing interest in behavioral components of environmental problems in recent years since human action is the critical element in environmental degradation. It has also been agreed upon and declared by United Nations’ “Climate Change Report” that, this global problem is mostly caused by anthropogenic sources.Among the complex and delicate relations that concern the environment, in terms of implementation of ethics and virtuous life styles for pollution control, waste reduction and management, deterioration of natural resources and decrease in biodiversity, new instruments -in addition to existing traditional ways of transfer of knowledge- can help to promote “environmental protection” and “sustainability”. That is; environmental ethics is needed to guide human-beings in making sound judgments and decisions and taking appropriate actions. However, it may not be developed and internalized by individuals by themselves. Knowledge alone does not ensure one’s motivation to act; value/belief system is the key in determining any action whether positive or negative with respect to environmental conservation. Therefore, the need to achieve the development of environmental ethics and adoption of new behaviors could be supported by many initiatives based on different instruments, for example communicative tools dealing with information, education and training. New environmental policies and strategies, in fact, together with the launch of new fashions and habits referring to the analysis, appreciations and diffusion of ‘best practices’ could be enlarged by means of innovative instruments such as e-learning, vocational training, interactive web-sites, CD-ROMs for people involved in decision making but also for environmental experts employed in public/governmental organisations, SMEs, municipalities, research institutes and universities; trainers/educators from environmental monitoring and environmental health field and enterprises with the aim to promote more environmental awareness and to change their attitudes towards environmentally sensitive behaviors in all EU countries.
Open and distance learning
Water Supply; Sewerage, Waste Management and Remediation Activities
Human Health and Social Work Activities
Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing
Mining and Quarrying
The products of the project are of;
- interactive project website,
- vocational training,
- e-learning methodology (blended-learning)