Title Bridging the gap of general practitioners' competence on European Market
Project Number 2008-1-PL1-LEO05-02080
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Marketing Text Disease prevention and health education at the primary health care level – bridging the gap of family physicians competences.
Summary The aim of the project was to define what are the family physicians competences in the field of disease prevention and health promotion in order to create VET programme targeted on developing the lacking competences.
Family physicians play a crucial role in health care systems in majority of EU countries. Delivering complex primary health care services including those in the field of disease prevention and health promotion is their main responsibility. The level of their education as well as acquired competences are diverse and not always adequate to real needs. As a consequence, there is a necessity of delivering innovative VET program for GPs which give them the possibility to acquire appropriate knowledge and competencies. Our project aimed at defining what are in practice the competencies of the GPs in the field of health promotion and diseases prevention, in order to prepare educational programme bridging the gap in this area.
During the project, following detailed tasks were realized:
- report on existing diseases prevention and health promotion procedures at the primary health care level in the partners’ countries,
- report on legally valid profile of family physicians competences in the field of disease prevention and health promotion (based on the academic curriculum review)
- innovative Internet based tool for measuring the level of professional competencies in the field of diseases prevention and health promotion,
- list of deficit and most required competencies,
- VET programme for GPs bridging the gap if their professional competences in the field of disease prevention and health education as well as guidebook for family medicine teachers
The target groups of the project were: family physicians, trainers of family medicine, medical universities, colleges of GPs in partners countries, national and international professional associations and organizations gathering general practitioners and decision makers.
Sectors Human Health and Social Work Activities
procedure for the analysis and prognosis of the vocational training requirement
program or curricula
The final results’ materials were prepared in English but their summaries were translated into Partners countries languages (Polish, Lithuanian and Greek). Specific objectives of the project and its’ products at the same time were:
1. Analysis of the training programs at the undergraduate and specialization level and description of GPs’ role in health promotion and diseases prevention area - REPORT
2. Analysis of the GPs’ competences, which should be achieved during the specialization - REPORT
3. Development of the tool for measuring the level GPs’ most required professional competences in the field of diseases prevention and health promotion – INTERNET BASED TOOL
4. Defining the deficit competences on the basis of comparison analysis between actual and needed competences in the field of diseases prevention and health promotion - REPORT
5. Creation of the VET programme for GPs bridging the gap in their competences and guidebook for family medicine teachers – PROGRAMME & GUIDEBOOK