Title Intercultool - Entwicklung eines Rahmens Modell und Beurteilung Instrument der interkulturellen Kompetenz
Project Number LLP-LdV-TOI-2007-HU-011
Project Type Innovationstransfer
Marketing Text Intercultool ist ein Gemeinschaftsprojekt von zwei Jahren EU-finanziertes Projekt. Das Ziel des Projekts ist die Bewertung der Kompetenz.
Intercultool is a collaborative two year (November 2007-October 2009) Life Long Learning funded project being undertaken by a consortium of partners from France, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Sweden and UK.
In the context of the intercultural dynamics involved in European co-operation activities and the increasing ethnic and cultural diversity within most Member States, the importance of intercultural competence for both individuals and organisations has been acknowledged within the core competences framework of Education and Training 2010.
The purpose of the Intercultool project is to contribute to the development of the skills and competence of professionals in managing situations and interactions influenced by cultural diversity within their fields of
activity (business, public and not for profit), as well as in their wider social and public lives. Furthermore, the project has an added focus on facilitating the recognition
and development of intercultural competence in
the domain of vocational and further education and training.
The aim of this project is to contribute to the preparation of professionals for the treatment/management of manifestations of cultural diversity within their field and their society. During the project the partners will elaborate a framework model and an assessment tool on intercultural competence to better understand and measure the training needs of the different target groups, and give an assessment of the level of their intercultural competences. The project wishes to work towards the recognition and introduction of intercultural competence in the vocational education system.
Intercultool aims at contributing to the preparation of professionals for the management of cultural diversity situations within their field (both business, public and not for profit) and their society and at the recognition and introduction of intercultural competence in the vocational education system through:
* Elaborating a framework model and adapting an assessment tool on intercultural competence to better understand and measure the training needs of the different target groups;
* Testing the assessment tool and consequently collecting results on the intercultural competences of 1200 professionals in 5 countries (Sweden, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, UK);
* Editing recommendations for the inclusion of intercultural competence into the training of VET teachers, and in the business, social and public sectors. Intercultool has an overall duration of 24 months (November 2007 - October 2009), and a total value of 393,313 €. It is articulated as follows:
1) Framework model on intercultural competence based on interviews. This study is the result of 120 interviews in 5 countries (Sweden, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, UK) with professionals working indifferent sectors (business, public and not for profit), and VET teachers facing intercultural situations;
2) Assessment methodology. To transfer the modifications of the Framework model into the assessment tool, and create the definitive format of the assessment tool, design and edit the content;
3)Testing, validation: To create the test validation plan (choice of size, type of sample, experimental design) in order to test the assessment tool - data collection; analysis, treatment of data; final rearrangements, adjustments of the tool if it appears necessary after the experiment;
4) Valorisation: Compiling recommendations on the integration of the results into VET institutions, and in the other sectors involved: editing a study - executive summary, based on the 30 interviews, the 300 test results of the intercultural assessment tool effectuated with teachers of vocational education and training and with professionals from the business, public and not for profit sectors; to integrate the results into own system of activities.
5) Promotion and Dissemination: Creation of a communication plan; identification of stakeholders, organisation of disseminating event with presence of stake-holders of VET system and from the other sectors interested. Organisation of one joint international conference as a closing event (Budapest). Promotion of project activities and outcomes through internet, newsletters, etc.
Berufsorientierung und -beratung
Anerkennung, Transparenz, Zertifizierung
Öffentliche Verwaltung, Verteidigung; Sozialversicherung
Erziehung und Unterricht
Exterritoriale Organisationen und Körperschaften
Gesundheits- und Sozialwesen
Verfahren zur Analyse und Prognose des Berufsbildungsbedarfes
R1: Framework model on intercultural competence based on interviews
* The "Identifying intercultural competences" is based on the field research that was done by the Intercultool partnership in five EU countries. The study summarizes the textual analysis with which the interviews were analysed. After analysing the main difficulties professionals faced in intercultural interactions, and the typical resources they used in those situations, the authors embedded the field research's results in the corpus of some selected theories of intercultural interaction (from selected scholars of intercultural psychology, among others, Ward, Cohen-Emerique, Van Oudenhoven and Gudykunst). As a synthesis between the fieldwork's results and the some already existing theories, the study comes up with a functional model: the framework model of intercultural interaction. This model describes intercultural interactions in four main dimensions: emotions, behaviour, cognitive and identity. The four main dimensions are then broke down in 12 sub-categories. This model served as a basis for creating the assessing questions and cases of the Beta version of the Intercultool assessment tool. After the validation research, we simplified on the latent model behind the final (alpha) version of our assessment tool.
R2: “Intercultool” assessment tool of intercultural competences
Digital assessment tool adapted to assess the intercultural competence level and different training needs of professionals facing intercultural situations;
R3: 1200 tests of the assessment tool done with professionals
The study documents the whole research and the process of the analysis of the data gained from the research. The cca. 900 validation tests were analysed with quantitative and qualitative analysis methods, with the methods of statistics. The statistic findings were then interpreted from the perspectives of intercultural psychology and cultural anthropology. The study also makes an attempt to do comparisons between the different national and professional groups, these comparisons however shall be treated carefully, since the research was not a representative comparative research. Nevertheless, these comparisons may articulate new questions to the researchers of intercultural competence and might be an interesting as points of departure for future researches.
The end of the study contains some information about the transformation of the latent model used in the Beta version of the Intercultool. Readers interested in the scientific background of the assessment methodology can get information on how the structure of the contents the final version of the Intercultool was created.
R4: Recommendations for inclusion of intercultural training moduls and assessment into vocational teachers’ training
A study with policy-oriented and practical recommendations for public authorities and schools on how the Intercultool assessment methodology can be integrated into V.E.T. education.
R5: web page (http://www.intercultool.eu)