Title European Certification of ICT Skills for People with mental Disabilities
Project Number 133948-LLP-2007-PL-Leonardo-LMP
Project Type Development of Innovation
Country EU-Centralised Projects
Marketing Text Intellectual disabled people must be integral part of the society. ICT skills are gateway to today’s world and information society also for intellectual disabled people. There are some ICT school programmes for this target group, but majority of young disabled people gets informal education in using new technology. There is lack of formal structures and tools to assess their ICT skills acquired through formal, non-formal and informal education. The overall aim of the project is to include mentally disabled people in the information society and in this way decrease e-skills gap (digital divide) which is being particularly noticeable among this target group. To include intellectual disabled people in the information society means also to make the society aware of such a possibility. The partnership will prepare diagnostic tool to assess ICT skills of the young intellectual disabled people and then procedures for certification .
The problem identified by the partnership might be defined as exclusion of intellectual disabled people form information society by depriving them of formal structures and tools to undergo assessment of their ICT skills acquired through formal, non-formal and informal education. That is why the main aim of the project is to include this particular group in information society and in this way prevent them from becoming the most disprivillaged society members. The main aim is going to be achieved by:
• development of certification framework, which will allow institutions to run internationally recognized examinations,
• creation of online testing environment which will help in assessing ICT skills
• creation of administration environment which will help in administrating the whole process
• training institutions to run certified examinations and use the tool.
Project is addressed to different types of educational institutions and thus to people working there as: teachers, administratives, managers etc. All those institutions are linked to the special education sector (special schools, faculties of education, NGO’s). Long term target group includes persons with intelectual disabilities, their parents and employers. In order to ensure the certificate to become European recognized mandate for intellectual disabled youngsters number of dissemination and exploitation activities will be undertaken, among them setting up nets of supporting partners on national and international level, organizing international conference, publication and information activities.
Intellectual disabled people must be integral part of the society. ICT skills are gateway to today’s world and information society also for intellectual disabled people. There are some ICT school programmes for this target group, but majority of young disabled people gets informal education in using new technology. There is lack of formal structures and tools to assess their ICT skills acquired through formal, non-formal and informal education. The overall aim of the project is to include mentally disabled people in the information society and in this way decrease e-skills gap (digital divide) which is being particularly noticeable among this target group. To include intellectual disabled people in the information society means also to make the society aware of such a possibility. The partnership will prepare diagnostic tool to assess ICT skills of the young intellectual disabled people and then procedures for certification .
- Youngsters with intellectual disabilities who would like to proof their ICT skills
- parents who might be interested in measuring the ICT competences of their disabled children with special needs
- institutions (mainly educational) which would like to start running certificate examinations.
- teachers (especially IT teachers), assistants, school managers, and also therapists who run rehabilitation , inclusive programmes based on ICT
- higher education institutions, which may take the decision of becoming certification centres.
Innovative character of the project
New idea – project develops new idea on assessing ICT skills of people with intellectual disability by establishing patterns of assessment and possible ways of certification. The project focuses on practically unexplored subject of ICT for the benefit of people with intellectual disability. ICT skills of this target group neither have been formally assessed so far, nor certificated in any way, especially in the framework of internationally recognized certificate. This outcome refers definitely to the second aspect of innovation - new method – nobody tried to assess ICT skills of this group in the scope of the certified examinations and with the support of the online tool. New device - The project will provide youngsters with intellectual disability with online tool which is totally new, created especially for the purpose of the project. The tool will be constructed in a way which will allow even users with no reading skills use it and take benefits of it.
Access for disadvantaged
Sectors Information and Communication
open and distance learning
- Description of the ICT skills relevant for young people with intelectuall disability- The set of identified and described skills will be grouped according to the level of disability
- On-line testing tool- will have following options: definition of competences, creation of test-questions, assign test-questions to a
competence test (a competence test consists of several questions, testing a specific competence), assign the competence test to a candidate. The competence test will be supervised by a coach testing tool which will be used by teachers assessing ICT skills of people with intellectual disabilities as well as for those being in charge of administration of certified examinations. The pedagogical part is a base for technicians to develop the tool which will act as a support in assessing ICT skills. Testing portal will work as an interactive assessment tool, while administrative portal will be used by assessors to handle the individual screening and certification process
- On-line administrative platform – This portal will be developed in order to facilitate administrators and teachers work with examinations and testing procedures. The portal will allow all organizations to register clients, choose clients, assign tests to each client or the group of clients, make examination reports and prepare progress reports of each client. Since Administrative portal will be delivered only in English, that is why basic English knowledge is necessary.
- Examination procedures and documents- set of procedures which must be obeyed in order to run the examination and to take part in it and set of documents which will be used by applicants to register for the examination (registration form, contract, certificate, etc).
- Recommendations on potential certification bodies - set of criteria that institutions have to meet and examples of potential certification bodies, which would run the certificated examinations in each partner country, definition the selection criteria: sector, scope, link to the long term target groups.
- Implementation guide: will consist of two major parts: PART I (General information on the situation of mentally disabled persons with regards to ICT, Description of all ICT skills), PART II (description of the tool which is testing tool and administration portal, description of procedures within the examination process, examples of certificates, contact details, dissemination hints).
- Training programme for teachers, who will provide certification– The training will be delivered in the scope of the project, that is why it is important to develop common training programme which will be used by partners to assure high quality of the training. Training programme will include stetting up the final competences trainees will have, didactical material, content of the training as well as teaching methods.
- Training materials for teachers - will be available for trainees during the training in paper version. Training materials will include Power Point presentation. After the training is finished they will be available on the internet.