Title E-Learning system for GMDSS VET (Global Maritime Distress and Safety System)
Project Number 142173-LLP-1-2008-1-SI-LEONARDO-LMP
Project Type Development of Innovation
Country EU-Centralised Projects
Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) has been fully implemented worldwide since February 1999, specifying the GMDSS communication equipment for marine vessels, and rescue procedures for vessels and humans at sea with the objective to maximise safety at sea. People working in marine areas – mariners, i.e. seafarers, fishermen, yacht captains, sailing boat skippers, marina workers, nautical science students/cadets, etc. must be qualified through different VET to operate the specified equipment.
All mariners must obtain the appropriate type of GMDSS certificate, however, the access to the required knowledge is limited (traditional VET is expensive and distance learning is not feasible except for the SRC course) which doesn’t encourage regular refreshing of knowledge – lifelong learning even when it is crucial to ensure safety of the crew, passengers and freight (even though this is not a legal requirement).
GMDSS VET providers can’t offer distance learning, because they do not use appropriate technology to be able to do that. Beside that they are dependent on expensive computer simulators of the GMDSS communication devices without royalty free licenses.
The aim of the project is to offer online GMDSS courses to mariners and to offer dedicated e-learning system to GMDSS VET providers to be able to maintain such courses.
To achieve the objectives, the consortium will develop complete online LRC course with all the GMDSS communication devices simulators needed because all the GMDSS courses overlap with the SRC course (already exists) and LRC course, but on different knowledge levels and enhance the existing GMDSS e-learning system. All results will be available on multilanguage www.egmdss.com in at least 10 language versions.
The products of this project are focused on 2 target groups: mariners and GMDSS VET providers. The prevised impact on mariners is to increase their interest in initial GMDSS VET and knowledge updating. The prevised impact on GMDSS VET providers is usage of the GMDSS e-learning system to offer their GMDSS courses online. All that should improve safety at sea resulting in lower loss of human lives and material damages.
Open and distance learning
Recognition, transparency, certification
Accommodation and Food Service Activities
Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities
Other Service Activities
Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing
open and distance learning
1. Improved GMDSS e-learning system, which will:
- be accessible on the internet web site www.egmdss.com (note that the current system is already accessible on the same internet web site),
- include at least the SRC and LRC course,
- target all mariners and those people who aspire to become one (several million in EU alone),
- enable GMDSS VET providers to add all GMDSS courses to the e-learning system,
- enable GMDSS VET providers to improve any GMDSS course from the e-learning system when needed,
- enable GMDSS VET providers to use any available GMDSS communication devices simulator and any available multimedial content in any GMDSS course,
- have multilanguage support for any language,
- include user manual for GMDSS VET providers in English,
- have some social network elements, at least forum and chat.
2. The GMDSS LRC course, which will:
- be a part of the GMDSS e-learning system,
- include the GMDSS communication devices simulators (MF/HF DSC radio and Inmarsat-C terminal) - putting a learner into an active role - instead of answering questions the learner actively practices and verifies his knowledge on a simulator,
- be available in English, Slovenian, Turkish, Italian, French, Polish, Finnish, Spanish, Norwegian and Dutch (and possibly other languages),
- include real-life animation of the GMDSS communication device operation (conveying to the learner how a device operates),
- include separate quizzes for each chapter,
- be developed considering the harmonised examination procedures for maritime radio operator’s certificates (CEPT/ERC/RECOMMENDATION 31-05 E) issued by European Radiocommunication Office,
- be certified with a BTEC vocational education certificate by world renowned awarding body EDEXCEL.