Title EGMDSS - GMDSS E-learning system
Project Number SI/06/B/F/PP-176006
Project Type Pilot Project, project with multiplying effect (2000-2006)
Marketing Text The project outcome is the GMDSS e-learning system, accessible on the internet web site www.egmdss.com, which includes a maritime Short Range Certificate (SRC) course. The system has many thousands registered users, so it offers a good oportunity for the success of other possible martime courses included in the same GMDSS E-learning system.
Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) has been in operation worldwide since 1st February 1999, specifying GMDSS communication equipment for marine vessels, and rescue procedures for vessels and humans at sea with the objective to maximise safety at sea. People working in marine areas – mariners - seafarers, fishermen, yacht captains, sailing boat skippers, marina workers, nautical science students/cadets, etc. must be qualified to operate the specified equipment. Vocational qualification is certified through internationally recognised certificates that are prescribed based on navigation area and vessel type.
This professional qualification is crucial for safety which is evident from the following published facts:
• 80% of accidents at sea are caused by human error because the regulations and standards that do exist have been ignored. - IMO (International Maritime Organisation), 13 January 2005
• In the last 10 years almost 2000 ships (ships of 100 Gross Registered Tons and above) were lost with more than 5000 victims. - IMO, FSI.3/Circ.6, 23 February 2005
• These are some of the reasons that young people today do not seem to find seafaring an attractive or appealing career. ISF/BIMCO statistics predict a 40.000 shortfall in navigation officers worldwide by 2010. – IMO, World Maritime Day 2003, J/8351, 2003
The project focuses on the provision of vocational education and continuing vocational training for Short Range Certificate (SRC) which is mandatory for mariners operating vessels of up to 300 Gross Registered Tons within 30 Nautical Miles from coast.
All mariners with adequate professional qualification must also obtain the SRC, however, access to the required knowledge is limited which doesn’t encourage regular refreshing of knowledge – life-long learning. Keeping the SRC skills up-to-date is crucial because emergencies at sea occur rarely. This knowledge and skills should be regularly refreshed to ensure safety of crew, passengers and freight (even though this is not a legal requirement). SRC certificates are internationally recognised throughout the EU.
The project outcome is the GMDSS e-learning system, accessible on the internet web site www.egmdss.com, which includes a maritime Short Range Certificate (SRC) course.
The project should encourage regular refreshing of knowledge and skills required for an SRC– life-long learning, because it provides an easy access to required knowledge and skills. Better vocational qualification of mariners should ensure the desired effect of improved safety at sea resulting in lower loss of human lives and material damage.
Open and distance learning
Accommodation and Food Service Activities
Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing
open and distance learning
The project outcome is the GMDSS e-learning system, accessible on the internet web site www.egmdss.com.
The GMDSS e-learning system:
• includes Short Range Certificate (SRC) course with quizzes,
• enables obtaining knowledge required for an SRC award as well as support life-long learning and knowledge updating,
• targets all mariners and those people who aspire to become one (several million in EU alone),
• is available in English, Slovenian, Greek, Turkish, Italian, Polish, Finnish, Spanish, Dutch and Hungarian,
• the English version is available in a special instance for Irish market,
• includes GMDSS communication device simulators: Simrad's GMDSS VHF RD68 simulator and McMurdo's NAVTEX receiver NAV 6 Plus simulator (putting a learner into an active role - instead of answering questions the learner actively practices and verifies his knowledge on a simulator),
• includes real-life animation of GMDSS communication device operation (conveying to the learner how a device operates),
• facilitates do-it-yourself learning as well as tutoring,
• facilitates distance learning.