Title Innovative Simulator Tools for Quality Management Production Process Training in VET (iQSim)
Project Number 142719-LLP-1-2008-1-NO-LEONARDO-LMP
Project Type Development of Innovation
Country EU-Centralised Projects
Marketing Text The iQSim project develops brand new European online simulator services that provide quality assurance of vocational training and education in mechanical industry, and in particular the welding sector. The simulator services, in combination with development of new pedagogical methods that follow the industrial production processes, will significantly reduce the costs of providing training to welders. The new training environment may be utilized in all types of skills upgrading processes where theory and practice are closely connected.
iQSim develops innovative and interactive web-based simulator quality management tools that improve a) skills upgrading processes in mechanical industry and welding, b) the teaching quality management processes, and c) the learning environment in vocational education and training programs.
iQSim elaborates a single point of access to simulator tools to be applied in Norway, Sweden, Lithuania, and Hungary, as well as in Europe. The tools improve learning environments by enabling teaching of quality management through i) activation of prior experiences, ii) demonstration of skills, iii) application of skills, and iv) inclusion of skills into real-world descriptions. Also, iQSim provides management and quality assurance of vocational training with an effective tool, such that vocational education and training schools, instructors, students or welder professionals select and obtain the most time and cost-efficient production methods and processes. iQSim integrates development and testing of the simulators in combination with pilot training that utilizes new pedagogical methodologies.
The impact envisaged by iQSim is to develop brand new type of simulator tools that improve existing training materials and study paths, in combination with development of new pedagogical methodologies.
The iQSim project offers easy access to the best cost-efficient production process solutions that minimizes welding defects, while maintaining the best tolerances of the welding parameters. The advantage of online simulator tools is that students and instructors may dynamical play with the essential welding parameters in order to visually understand the tolerance window occurring in real life production facilities, and make up alternative decision routes that may handle both technical and economical production tasks.
Utilization and distribution of results
Recognition, transparency, certification
Open and distance learning
Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities
Information and Communication
transparency and certification
material for open learning
open and distance learning
The iQSim project develops the following products:
1. Simulator tools that include the most frequently used welding forms: i) square butt welding, ii) v-bevel welding, iii) fillet welding, iv) x-bevel welding, and v) calculation of production costs for the four welding forms above.
2. New pedagogical methodologies offer Quality Assurance to industrial production process training in VET schools by utilizing interactive simulator tools, in combination with for instance Activity Based Training (ABT). ABT follows the industrial production processes, by utilizing work orders and work packages. The final result of the training is a complete product. The training method may be utilized in a blended learning framework consisting of face-to-face on-site training, e-learning solutions, high quality video streaming, and video conferencing. ABT may be utilized in Skills Upgrading Processes where theory and practice are closely connected.
3. The iQSim training delivery uses simulator tools to add quality assurance (QA) to an industrial training production process, as well as QA of the final welded product where the welder student compare the measured quality with the proposed quality obtained from the simulator.
4. Instructional video material (streaming or DVD) for demonstration of skills, training methods, and simulator tools.
5. User requirement specification reports, pedagogical methodology report, simulator tools implementation report, and evaluation report.
6. Project website available at: prosjekt.hist.no/iqsim
7. Four types of industrial welding courses.
8. Poster and leaflets.
9. Quality Management Handbook
10. At least 4 national seminars in Norway, Lithuania, Sweden and Hungary
11. 10-12 scientific articles
12. Evaluation of project results