Title ECVET network for Tourism and Catering
Project Number 142847-2008-AT-LEONARDO-LNW
Product ECVET TC NET - an international project for the transparency of touristic competences in Europe
Title ECVET TC NET - an international project for the transparency of touristic competences in Europe
Product Type transparency and certification
Tourism and catering are one of the most important economic branches in Europe and provides for more than 7 million jobs in Europe.
The Leonardo da Vinci network ECVET TC NET is a network project for the development and elaboration of the ECVET system for the tourism and catering industry in Europe. The main objectives are to win the mutual recognition and transparency of competences and learning outcomes in Europe.
ECVET TC NET
(European Credit system for Vocational Education and Training Tourism and Catering NETwork)
In November 2008 the project Leonardo da Vinci ECVET TC NET was founded in cooperation with important national and international tourism companies, associations and tourism schools.
ECVET TC NET is a network project for the development of an ECVET model. Under the direction of Mr. Wolfgang Haas, headmaster of the Tourismusschulen Bad Gleichenberg and numerous project partners, the main objective is the achievement of transparency of European touristic qualified persons. The development of competence grids for several touristic professions (e.g. waiter, cook, sales and marketing assistant) is the headstone of the ECVET model.
For the implementation of the model in Europe, a handbook with full details and information will be created. Tourism professionals, who will be trained by this model, should get an ECVET certificate.
Involved project partners are hospitality and tourism schools, VET providers in tourism and catering, universities, enterprises in tourism and catering as well as staffing agencies.
The short term target group of the network are:
Tourism and catering schools in Europe (these schools are offering comprehensive training programmes in the middle and high level of tourism and catering including management professions)
Vocational education and training providers in tourism and catering (VET centres are offering short term training programmes or training programmes on lower and middle level)
Universities offering VET courses in tourism and catering (are offering additional training programmes in special sectors like spa tourism, wellness tourism in general etc.)
Tourism companies providing corporate training in tourism and catering like hotels, clubs, spas, cruise ships, tourism bureaus, tourism associations (are offering a complex set of corporate training programmes on single priority offers, customer relationship management, etc.)
Trade unions (are supporting the employment situation and wages in the tourism and catering sector)
Labour market authorities (are promoting employment possibilities in the sector and rely heavily on European workforce mobility and recognition)
Chambers of commerce, tourism and catering branches (are supporting the companies in the tourism and catering sector on economic and business level)
Political decision makers on European, national, regional and local level (are planning future policies for tourism and catering on different geographical and political level and are significantly influencing the tourism development in the countries)
The long term target group of the network and its activities are the millions of tourists spending their time in different places in Europe. During the last years the demand regarding tourism and catering has changed dramatically. Tourists are more and more requiring high quality destinations and services which has special consequences for the qualifications of the employees in the sector. Especially also the new member countries have a big lack in high qualified tourism staff. Furthermore we focus our long term impact also on the European economies which are directly influenced by the tourism sector as it is estimated that up to 7% of the GDP of a economy is determined by tourism. Further quality in tourism services means more tourists and GDP in the end.
Within its three years of network activities the ECVET TC NET team will develop the following products and results:
1. ECVET model handbook for the European tourism and catering sector: The handbook will describe the whole ECVET model for the tourism and catering sector on the basis of the ECVET regulation and the competences deducted from the European survey implemented. The handbook provides all the necessary information about the model as such, definition of learning units, learning outcomes in tourism and catering, allocation of credit points to learning outcomes etc. It also contains the concrete guidelines how to work with ECVET in the practice of tourism and catering training especially in corporate training.
2. Guidelines for training organisations: For training organisations and vocational schools in the tourism and catering sector special guidelines will be provided on how to develop ECVET compliant training programmes in the future as a further support for a sustainable use and implementation of the system in Europe
3. Memorandum of mutual trust: Mutual trust is the most important principle in the use of ECVET, to establish this core factor a special memorandum of mutual trust will be developed being the basic document for all participating organisations in the ECVET model for the tourism and catering sector in Europe. By signing this memorandum of mutual trust all participating organisations in the network and beyond are declaring that they guarantee to accept and respect the principles and rules of ECVET in the tourism and catering sector.
4. ECVET certificate: Especially for the tourism and catering sector a draft model for a ECVET certificate will be developed. The certificate presents all the competences and learning outcomes together with the corresponding ECVET credits and will be the basic document for mutual recognition and transparency.
5. Test reports: The test reports provide structured feedback on the test implementation of the ECVET model in practice and allow deductions of improvement and adaptation potentials on the model and single outputs.
6. VET Policy Paper: the whole activities and experiences gained by the network during the work with the ECVET approach and VET in the tourism and catering sector in general will be directed into a policy recommendation paper for VET in the tourism and catering sector for further use and discussions in working groups and on political decision makers level.
7. Network website: www.ecvet-tc.net will be the reference domain for the network and contains all outputs in electronic format for download as well as reference documents, links and a public discussion and consultation forum.
8. Public relations, dissemination and valorisation materials: A set of materials for the public presentation, dissemination and valorisation of the outputs and the network as such will be developed, these are a set of folders and posters as well as the planning and implementation of two major conferences during the network funding period.
Area of application The network consortium of ECVET TC NET reflects all the necessary stakeholder in the tourism and catering sector in Europe. Because of the fact that large parts of the training programmes are delivered in the form of corporate training there is a special need to involve representatives of the enterprises of the tourism and catering industry in the network.
Product Languages English