Title Training Older Persons - Pioneer Model Usable for Older Adult Trainers
Project Number 133979-LLP-2007-PT-LMP
Project Type Development of Innovation
Country EU-Centralised Projects
TOP+ Project it’s target trainers and teachers that wish up-skill or re-skill it’s competencies to better address older adults training need. Under TOP+ We consider “older adults” those with more than 45 years old, unemployed, at risk of unemployment or early retirement.
Summary The low enrolment of older in Lifelong Learning in Europe represents a waste of individual opportunities potential and a loss productive and economic potential. Commission recognizes “that a change is needed in the way education and training is provided (flexible timetables, recognition of prior learning and more attractive training)”. Trainers, teachers and Guidance counsellors must have the skills to offer attractive training and guidance orientation. The Partnership of TOP + it’s committed to develop a brand new solution to help all Member States (MS) and Norway to cope with a common challenge (low participation of older adults in lifelong learning programmes), with a new strategy, which has not yet addressed: reinforce the skills of older adults trainers and teaches.
TOP+ address Pro-Active Solutions: New ways of learning are needed to best utilise the competences of highly experienced older adults. TOP+ will look for answers within a cross-country perspective, in order to achieve to a desirable profile of skills, to teachers and trainers of older adults. (WP2 and WP3 assessment and databases). We will create approaches towards a more attractive way to address the older adults. The Multimedia compendium (WP6) and the New Curriculum will be tested (WP5) by teachers and trainers of all Member States and Norway. This compendium, translated in 23 languages and distributed in 28 countries, will create a pan-European impact in the lifelong learning programmes target to older adults.
The target groups of our TOP+ are:
- Trainers and Teachers who need to acquire or increase their skills in lifelong learning addressed to older adults;
- Older adults employed, unemployed, at risk of unemployment or early retirement, unhappy with current strategies of lifelong learning, address to them and wish an opportunity for career improvement or transition;
- Stakeholders committed with the attractiveness and efficacy of education and training activities to older adults;
- The European society in general whish to increase rates of older adults in labour market by improving their fulfilment and active ageing.
Long-term beneficiaries of TOP+ :
- Education and Training organisations that are in search of innovative and quality training material;
- Small and larger companies dealing with age management problems and need to fulfil their employees training need and improve their productivity;
- NGO’s committed with the improvement of older adults quality of life and work
- Other organisations, especially those dealing with older adults. Ex: volunteers or unemployed.
Recognition, transparency, certification
program or curricula
The golden result of the Project TOP+ will be a Multimedia Compendium. The interface and key-documents will be translated in 22 EU languages and Norwegian, and distributed in all 27 Member States (MS) and Norway. Other relevant outcomes of the Project:
- Comparative Study that will produce a framework of knowledge on key-questions concerning lifelong learning in later life;
- Identification both the ‘best’ innovative lifelong learning programs and ‘worst’ practice, and factors behind them;
- Catalogue of Skills and Competencies, made after the analysis the needs of trainers/ teachers;
- New training curricula addressing the needs and learning opportunities of trainers, teachers and older adults counsellors;
- Identification of new skills and competences for VET teachers, trainers and other learning facilitators;
- Definition of a vocational expert profile, a contribution to foster an European standard and certification.