Title The development of Language competence in European Vocational schools by transferring innovative methods and equipping teaching staff to provide bilingual vocational training.
Project Number DE/08/LLP-LdV/TOI/147104
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Today, occupational-related language competences play an increasing role for certificate holders of vocational colleges, especially because of the constantly rising internationalization of enterprises.
These competences cannot only be gained in studies abroad within the training, but also in bilingual lessons at vocational colleges.
In order to offer bilingual lessons qualified teachers are needed in particular. The project BILVOC II – the abbreviation stands for “Bilingual Teaching at Vocational Colleges” – therefore has devoted to this issue extensively.
Summary Most students now graduating from vocational schools are entering their professions with insufficient knowledge of a foreign language and are therefore unable to meet the requirements of the mobile professional world in Europe and internationally. Only a sustained dedication to furthering bilingual vocational training in schools can help to overcome the current foreign language deficit. This well-founded long-term goal can however only be achieved with appropriately qualified teaching staff. Bilingual vocational training at vocational schools was thematised within the framework of a previous project, “Using Bilingual Vocational Training to increase Language Competence at Vocational Schools in Europe” and general solutions to its didactic-systematic form and implementation were developed. The project detailed above builds on these results and, through the transfer of innovations in bilingual vocational training, wants to play a part in eliminating the lack of qualified teaching staff for bi-lingual vocational training, which is an effective way of developing foreign language competence in vocational schools. From October 2008 until October 2010, 13 partner institutions from eight European countries worked together on BILVOC II, directed by the Thuringian Ministry of Education, Science and Cultural Affairs (TMBWK). In addition to educational institutions from Estonia, France, Norway, Portugal, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Hungary and Germany, the project was partnered by the Thuringian Institute of In-Service Teacher Training, Curriculum Development and Media (Thillm) and the Technical University of lmenau.
In short, the project sets out the following concrete project results and distribution activities:
• Research materials (survey about the prevailing conditions for the bilingual subject teaching in the vocational education of the participating countries and questionnaire about the necessity and usage of foreign language skills in enterprise)
• Overview of the results of the above
• Guidelines for the implementation of bilingual subject teaching in vocational colleges
• Feasibility study of an additional qualification in the training of vocational teachers at the Technical University of Ilmenau: module for bilingual teaching
• Core curriculum for the certificate “The theory and practice of bilingual subject teaching” for Masters students completing their teacher training at the Technical University of Ilmenau – (draft)
• Obligatory module “bilingual teaching at vocational colleges “ for the studies of theory and methodology of teaching business at the Friedrich Schiller University of Jena
• New and further developed teaching resources for bilingual teaching
• Summary of tried and tested methods for bilingual teaching
• Guidelines for the certification of bilingual subject teaching qualification
• Guidelines for the preparation and execution of internship abroad / further training for trainee teachers, vocational education professionals and trainees
• Execution and evaluation of further education and information events through all participating project partners
• Execution of bilingual teaching through all participating schools
• Mutual support in bilingual teaching (execution of bilingual teaching with the help of colleagues of the partner schools)
• Organisation and execution of foreign internships for teachers, students and apprentices / pupils as additional measures
• The project homepage: http://www.schulportal-thueringen.de/web/guest/bilinguales_lernen/bilinguales_lernen_anbbs
• Press publications, presentations and lectures during other events
• Fixing of arrangement of concrete future sustainability measures and distribution of the project results including the on-going work of the topics
Recognition, transparency, certification
Utilization and distribution of results
program or curricula
audio or video cassettes
transparency and certification
Programs / curricula
Audio / video tapes / DVDs