Title Supporting teachers in providing opportunities for low motivated students to take part in international mobilities (SOS-Mobilities
Project Number 2013-1-FI1-LEO05-12543
Project Type Projets de transfert d'innovation
International mobilities are mostly aimed at well performing students instead of providing all students equal opportunities to develop their professional & key skills through international mobilities. Preparations and materials for international mobilities are therefore based on the needs of these well performing students. Materials aimed at preparing students with learning difficulties, low motivation and self-esteem and/or social obstacles for international mobilities is currently missing in many European VET organizations
The focus of the SOS-Mobilities project is on developing, transferring and implementing materials that motivate and support more teachers to get involved in the work of providing equal opportunities for all students to take part in international mobilities. By taking part in international mobilitity the self-esteem and the study motivation of the special needs students will increase and therefore help to decrease the number of dropouts.
Reducing early school leaving is an important contribution to breaking the cycle of deprivation, social exclusion and poverty and 1 of the headtargets of the Europe 2020 strategy. The core task & main challenge of VET is to provide education that meets the needs of the labor market and the individual learning needs. Including students with fewer opportunities (=students with learning difficulties, low motivation and/or self-esteem & social obstacles) in international mobilities provides VET with new methods to raise the self-esteem and motivation of these students and to decrease the number of dropouts. SOS-mobility focused on transferring existing tools and best practices and developed new tools that help teachers and VET providers include students with fewer opportunities in international mobilities. Such tools are currently missing or are in need of being revised among the partners and VET in general.
- Axxell Utbildning Ab, Finland (Coordinator)
- Katholisches Jugendhaus Berlin (Ludwig Wolker Haus) e.V, Germany
- CFA La Châtaigneraie, France
- Verkmenntaskólinn á Akureyri, Iceland
- Chichester College
In order to support teachers to include students with fewer opportunities (e.g. low motivation, poor self esteem) to take part in international mobilities the project developed:
- A motivational guidance booklet for teachers. The guidance booklet can be used by teachers, VET staff and/or international coordinators when training new teachers to get involved in motivating students with fewer opportunities to take part in international mobilities. The guidance booklet is only available in English as the topic deals with sending students abroad.
- A quality framework for special needs students who will take part in international mobilities. The framework is built up so that it fits the quality standards of the core partners and other interested parties. The aim of the framework is to document the process of international mobilities in one document. When a teacher is unsure of who is responsible for what and what things should be done he/she could go to the framework and check it out. Apart from raising the quality it's a tool that makes the process of including students with fewer opportunities in international mobilities more transparent as it clearly shows how the system of including students with fewer opportunities in international mobilities can be done at the organizations. The framework is done in English and are translated to Swedish, Finnish, German, Icelandic and French
- Checklist for hosting and sending students with fewer obstacles on international mobilities that teachers, coordinators and students use when preparing for international mobilities. The checklists brings up important aspects that need to be considered when it comes to preparing for a international mobility. The checklists are available in English, Swedish, Finnish, German, French and Icelandic.
Formation tout au long de la vie
Accès pour les personnes moins favorisées
Égalité des chances
Validation, transparence, certification
Enseignement à distance
Transparence et certification
The outcomes of the project are:
• A motivational guidance booklet for VET staff
• A framework for including students with fewer opportunities in international mobilities.
• Checklists for (1) hosting and (2) sending students with fewer opportunities on international mobilities aimed to help VET staff prepare students with fewer opportunities for international mobilities