Title ePathways: Personalised Professional Training Pathways for VET Teachers
Project Number 2012-1-IE1-LEO05-04722
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Marketing Text The aim of the ePathways project is to support personalised and professional training pathways for VET teachers through development of innovative and ICT based CPD tools and materials mainly in the format of e-Portfolios. The project will also provide organisation wide CPD approach aimed at VET Education Providers across EU to guide them into the proved and effective CPD strategy for VET teachers.
The aim of the project is to support personalised and professional training pathways for VET teachers through development of innovative and ICT based CPD tools and materials mainly in the format of e-Portfolios. The project will also provide organisation wide CPD approach aimed at VET Education Providers across EU to guide them into the proved and effective CPD strategy for VET teachers.
The objectives of the project are as follows:
- Identify good practice in the delivery of CPD and the use of e-Portfolios by Education Providers and teachers across EU and transfer it to the VET sector in Ireland
- Develop a CPD Policy for City of Dublin VEC and a Model for VET schools that will guide VET organisations in implementing innovative and ICT based CPD strategies for VET teachers
- Develop CPD materials for VET teachers based on the knowledge and experiences of project partners
- Select and develop a professional CPD e-Portfolio application for VET teachers in CDVEC Colleges
- Test the CPD materials and e-Portfolio application with VET teachers in Ireland.
- Foster the use of innovative learning approaches in the delivery of CPD programmes for VET teachers
- Disseminate project outcomes across Europe.
Description The ePathways project is now complete. During the first year the CPD review took place. Each partner carried out some research into exemplary CPD practices within their own region and a list of 35 educational institutions was compiled. These were asked to complete a survey which covered areas of CPD which were relevant and of interest to ePathways, for example ePortfolios. From those that completed the survey, 10 examples who display innovation in the area of CPD were chosen and the resultant publication was translated into Dutch and Lithuanian and is available online. The CDP ePortfolio was chosen, designed and has been piloted extensively with VET teachers and members of senior management in CDETB and is now complete. Specialised networks and groups have been set up within the ePortfolio to encourage collaboration and resource sharing amongst related groups of teachers and other staff. The CPD materials in the form of 17 CPD booklets with accompanying online video tutorials have also been completed, following a period of pilot testing. Complementary booklets have been put into ‘toolkits’ on the ePortfolio The feedback from piloting has been overwhelmingly positive with some organisations pledging to add to the booklets themselves using the ePathways template. The pilot testing phase will be evaluated by an external evaluator who captured all feedback and recommendations which was then integrated into the products prior to finalisation. Towards the end of the project, a launch event was held in Dublin and was attended by 70+ members of Education throughout Ireland and Europe. During the day dissemination workshops were held in the form of mini CPD sessions which were hosted by experts from the non-Irish project partners. Overall the day was deemed a great success and the Consortium continues to disseminate the project and its outcomes at any opportunity.
Activities of Extraterritorial Organisations and Bodies
Information and Communication
material for open learning
open and distance learning
The products that have been developed are as follows:
1. a CPD Policy for City of Dublin ETB and a Model for VET schools that will guide VET organisations in implementing innovative and ICT based CPD strategies for VET teachers
2. CPD materials - 17 web based booklets covering different CPD subjects designed to aid VET teachers formal and informal CPD. Also produced were some complementary instructional videos.
3. a review of CPD practices across Europe resulting in a publication - 10 CPD Innovation Examples from across Europe
4. a Professional CPD e-Portfolio application for VET teachers