Title PROMETEO - PROmoting Mobility and transparEncy for forTh lEvel lOgistics and transport qualifications
Project Number 2013-1-IT1-LEO05-04073
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Marketing Text The project developed 4th EQF level qualifications for the transport and logitics sector using EQF and ECVET concepts and it introduced an innovative tool, the "TRAINING STAIRWAY". The Stairway represents the pathway for the professional growth from the EQF level 4th to the 5th. Competence and Educational Standard were defined for the 4th EQF level qualifications.
The project was implemented in a time of significant social, economic and environmental change, and it tried to respond to the main developments of the transport and logistics sector.
The growing importance of logistics and transport both from an environmental point of view, both from the point of view of businesses' competitiveness created the need of training professionals able to understand the various dimensions of the sector and be an added value.
Although it is old and strategic discipline, logistics were considered a complementary activity (serving various functions) within firms. The globalisation of markets, the increased transport distances and the spread of Web services, brought to a new strategic vision in which logistics were recognised as a fundamental function, becoming one of the main levers of cost reduction and a competitive tool benefitting the service offered to the customer.
In recent times therefore emerged the need of companies to find more skilled staff with specific expertise in the various areas of the sector. Logistics (and transport) is characterised by a broad spectrum of operational solutions that led to the request of a larger range of skills for the workforce. All these aspects link logistics to a myriad of different internal and external business functions, public services and infrastructure, national and international law.
As a consequence, a wide and significant need for qualified professionals emerged in the sector. Not surprisingly, in many European countries the sector is considered one of the most important in terms of employment and GDP.
In the last twenty years, the training offer tried to identify and satisfy the needs emerging within companies, with clear improvements but also with some shortcomings. The project tried to fill the gap between supply and demand, by developing specific qualifications for the 4th EQF level, therefore mainly addressed to young people of the second cycle of education and training, the most affected category in term of unemployment as consequence of the economic crisis. For this reason, the project developed tools able to support the reversal of this trend. Moreover, the project results offers to students and / or employees the opportunity to plan the development of their educational and professional paths from their first steps, through the understanding of which might be the best qualification to support the development of their careers, and, in case they want to continue beyond the initial training, showing them the easier "road" to achieve their goals. The "training stairway", elaborated within Prometeo through several case studies supports this objective.
The project developed both National Case Studies (developed by each partner), both European Case Studies (elaborated within the project Consortium by all the partners).
In the first part of the project, the Training Needs Analysis for the sector was performed (analysis of the demand for training) together with the mapping of existing 5th and 4th EQF level qualifications for all the involved countries: IT,UK,GE,BE,SP,FR (analysis of the offer of training). Following these two analysis, eight 5th EQF level qualifications* were selected, 2 by the Consortium (basing on the training needs analysis), and 6 by each partner at national level (basing on the mapping of qualifications).
For each of the 5th EQF selected qualifications, one coherent qualification of the 4th EQF level was identified and described through EQF and ECVET principles (KSC and LOs Unit). Through the definition of a coherent (in terms of KSC and working processes) 4th EQF level qualification, the TRAINING STAIRWAY was identified. The Training Stairway is the "ideal" path for the development of skills and the professional growth in Transport and Logistics.
The project objective was to increase the offer of 4th level qualifications and the mobility, seen in vertical direction (different EQF levels, same or different country) and not only horizontally (same EQF level, different countries).
The LOs Unit previously identified and composing the 4th EQF level qualifications were "weighted" by experts selected at national level. The "weighting" process was implemented according to specific criteria agreed among the consortium. Thanks to the "weight" of each LOs Unit, the ECVET points for each Unit were allocated.
Moreover, the training modules/units related to each LOs Unit and for each qualification were identified, together with a list of suggested subjects and the timetable. All these informations act as guidelines for the organization of training activities.
The assessment and validation work package involved many relevant stakeholders and led to the exploitation and utilization of project products (such as in Italy).
An external evaluator (management aspects) and a Scientific Committee (technical aspects) monitored and supervised all the activities .
* Due to the fact that in Germany 5th EQF level qualifications were not existing when the project partners performed the mapping, for the German Case Study a 4th EQF level qualification has been selected. And one new qualification of the 5th EQF level has been identified and developed in the project (competence and educational standard).
Recognition, transparency, certification
Transportation and Storage
program or curricula
description of new occupation profiles
transparency and certification
The project developed both National, both European Case Studies, therefore the project activities and the technical results were carried out for all these case studies. Six national case studies (Italy, Germany, Spain, France, Belgium, UK) and two EU case studies were realized.
The products/results carried out by the project are:
- A Training Needs Analysis for the Logistics and Transport Sector. The analysis were carried out at EU level basing on the results National surveys. The study identified 4 main common training needs of EU businesses: "Green Skills", Information Technology, Transport, Stress Prevention.
- 6 National Maps of existing qualifications (focus on the 4th and 5th EQF levels) related to the transport and logistics sector. For each partner country, the map shows all the existing qualifications, their level and the certifying authority. Each national map is available in the national language and English. Additional to the maps, the partners drafted a report that presents the details regarding the qualifications and the national regulatory framework for VET (English).
- 8 Training Stairways linking (each) two coherent 4th and 5th EQF level qualifications. Each Stairway represents the ideal path for acquiring competences and for the professional growth of workers and trainees.
EU1: Freight Forwarding Agent(5EQF) - Transport Officer (4EQF)
EU2: Logistics Team Leader (5EQF) - Logistics Assistant (4EQF)
BE: Technician in Transport & Logistics (5EQF) - Logistics Assistant / Clerk (4EQF)
FR: Senior Logistics Methods and Operations Technician (5EQF) - Professional Baccalauréat Diploma in Logistics (4EQF)
GE: Master Driver(5EQF) - Professional Driver(4EQF)
IT: Higher Technician for infomobility and logistics infrastructures(5EQF) - Technician for transport and warehousing (4EQF)
SP: Superior Transport and Logistics Technician(5EQF) - Technician Driving Road Transport (4EQF)
UK: Supply Chain Management (5EQF) - Logistics Operations (4EQF)
- 8 Competence Standards, one for each investigated 4th EQF level qualification*. They were defined according to ECVET and EQF concepts. Each Standard was organized in Learning Outcomes Units, and each Unit was presented using the "official" set of descriptors: Knowledge, Skill and Competence.
EU1: Competence Standard for the Transport Officer
EU2: Competence Standard for the Logistics Assistant
BE: Competence Standard for the Logistics Clerk
FR: Competence Standard for the Professional Baccalauréat Diploma in Logistics (4EQF)
GE: Competence Standard for the Master Driver(5EQF)
IT: Competence Standard for the Technician for transport and warehousing (4EQF)
SP: Competence Standard for the Technician Driving Road Transport (4EQF)
UK: Competence Standard for the Logistics Operations Area(4EQF)
- 8 Educational Standards for the eight 4th EQF level qualifications developed*. Each standard includes: Training Units and sub-units, topics and subjects, time schedule, entry-requirements, ratio among classroom and practice.
EU1: Educational Standard for the Transport Officer
EU2: Educational Standard for the Logistics Assistant
BE: Educational Standard for the Logistics Clerk
FR: Educational Standard for the Professional Baccalauréat Diploma in Logistics (4EQF)
GE: Educational Standard for the Master Driver(5EQF)
IT: Educational Standard for the Technician for transport and warehousing (4EQF)
SP: Educational Standard for the Technician Driving Road Transport (4EQF)
UK: Educational Standard for the Logistics Operations Area(4EQF)
- Report on Assessment and Validation of Results. Using a questionnaire, partners interviewed the main local stakeholders in order to assess project results and discuss chances for exploitation.
- Project Leaflet: it presents the overall mission and the activities of the project
- Project Website (www.prometeotraining.eu): website in five languages (IT,EN,SP,FR,DE) that shows all the project results. The website has an interactive section in which all the results concerning a case study can be visualized.
- Project Newsletters: two newsletters were sent to the main stakeholders. The first aimed to present the project results and to inform about the final Conference. The Second was instead mainly referred to the topics of the project final Conference. Newsletters are available in all the partners languages.
- Project HANDBOOK: realized at the end of the project, it includes and shows all the project methodology and the main results achieved. Details of results are available for the EU case studies, while for national case studies only a synthesis was included. The latter are fully available on the website, to which the handbook refer to.
- Final Conference: held in Piacenza the 29th September 2015 and attended by many italian and European experts, the Conference illustrated the project activities and results, addressing also all the related issues concerning VET and the EU strategies for mobility.
* as mentioned in the description, for the Germam case study, the partner developed products (competence and educational standard) referred to a 5th EQF level qualification.