Title INOVAtive Touchless tEchnologies in Lifelong Learning for people with severe disabilities (INOVATELL)
Project Number LLP-LdV-TOI-2013-LT-0144
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
The main purpose was to develop and implement a technological solution that would help people with limited hand function to participate in Lifelong learning process by remotely controlling specialized software on mobile and stationary computer devices using only head or hand gestures (INOVATELL).
This solution improves the quality, accessibility and efficiency of the vocational training and rehabilitation programmes for people with severe disabilities.
Many EU and national documents clearly state that disabled people continue to be disproportionately excluded from the labour market and mainstream education and vocational training (European Disability Strategy 2010-2020, EU Communication "Situation of disabled people in the EC: the European Action Plan 2008-09", EU’s Europe 2020 strategy), which is a serious concern from the perspective of equal opportunities in VET.
We identify a big demand for acquisition of key competence digital literacy and ICT solution for people with severe movement disabilities, especially for people with restricted hand functions caused cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, tetraplegy, amputations of upper limb(-s), spinal injuries or other health problems, that face limitations to use ordinary computer devices.
The consortium of this project intended to transfer an innovative touchless assistive technology for life long learning of people with severe disabilities, that was designed in the IT sector. The INOVATELL project integrated technological know-how with in-depth understanding of learning needs for people with disabilities with the help of specialized software using touchless hand or head movement instead of hands without touching mouse or keyboard, which is effective for this project's target group. The transfer of touchless control technological solution targeted the needs of Lithuanian, Slovenian and Portuguese individuals with severe movement disabilities and limited hand functions to provide them with a tool for learning a key competence – digital literacy.
The project was carried out by 4 partners in 3 countries: Lithuania, Slovenia and Portugal.
This consortium was a joint effort of the private(Idea Code), the vocational rehabilitation and the research(Valakupiai Rehabilitation Center, University Rehabilitation Institute, Republic of Slovenia, Gaia Vocational Rehabilitation Centre) sectors. The consortium was build to reflect technological skill, human factors impact, long term knowledge transfer objectives and innovation sustainability as well as future Europe-wide access to the project results.
The project's objectives were:
1. to identify and assess functional capacities of people with severe movement disabilities and actual needs for basic digital literacy related training in Lithuania, Portugal and Slovenia.
2. to transfer and localize integrated INOVATELL technological solution as the touchless hand and head gesture controlled learning tool.
3. to transfer, localize and supplement learning content to match the practical needs of the target group.
4. to extensively test technological solution and learning content with a test group.
5. to create all the necessary documentation describing transfer methodologies and technology and make these materials readily available on the web.
6. to disseminate the project goals, progress and results through valorization activities and promote Europe-wide inclusion of this innovation transfer.
The main activities that were carried out during the project's lifetime:
• Needs Analysis;
• INOVATELL Technical Solution Transfer;
• INOVATELL Learning Content Transfer;
• INOVATELL Solution Testing;
• Innovation Knowledge Transfer;
• Project Management;
• Quality Management.
Access for disadvantaged
Information and Communication
program or curricula
open and distance learning
material for open learning
Target Group Needs and Capacities Analysis Report (English);
INOVATELL Solution Documentation and User Manual (English, Lithuanian, Slovenian, Portuguese);
Transferred INOVATELL Learning Contents Package (English, Lithuanian, Slovenian, Portuguese);
INOVATELL Technical Solution Transfer Documentation (English, Lithuanian, Slovenian, Portuguese);
INOVATELL Learning Content Transfer Documentation (English, Lithuanian, Slovenian, Portuguese);
Valorization Report (English).