Title ConstructEU – Building up skills for successful European Projects in the Construction Sector
Project Number DE/13/LLP-LdV/TOI/147648
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Marketing Text European cooperation in various professional sectors has increased significantly in recent years. In the construction sector one can also observe a strong internationalization in form of cross-border business relations. While the European construction sector is growing and booming, a significant shortage of qualified personnel – for example, construction managers, planners, engineers – who are not able to keep up with the new professional challenges and Europe-wide developments. In order to foster the mobility and improve the professional training of persons working in the construction sector and thus to support the potential of SMEs, a training concept which proved to be successful in Germany was transferred, adapted and implemented within the frame of ConstructEU to Spain and Hungary into a specific vocational training system.
The core objective of ConstructEU was to establish an internationally accepted training course for EU project managers in the construction sector, based on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF) and to test it in practice. The long-term goal was to embed the modular training in the vocational training systems in Spain, Hungary and Germany.
The certified training course “Qualification to EU-Fundraiser”, successfully managed by emcra GmbH in Berlin and other cities in Germany since 2005, served as a basis for the concept transfer. Within the extra-occupational-training, the participants get an insight into the core issues and chances of the European projects and European project management and get to know specific European funding opportunities for mobility projects.
The existing modular training concept was adjusted step by step to the specific needs of the target group and the partner states, together with the European partners from Spain and Hungary. Thus the training course “European Projects in the Construction Sector” was created. In spring 2015, practical test phases took place in Berlin (DE), Santander (ES), Kiskunhalas (HUN) and Szeged (HUN) with the target groups from the three partner states. The local test phases served as direct control of the syllabus, of the developed teaching and learning materials and the added-value of the participants of the further training “European Projects in the Construction Sector”.
To ensure the sustainability and implementation of the training course in the national VET systems, the course was successfully certified in Spain, Hungary and Germany during the project duration. Furthermore, a common Memorandum of Understanding about the training course was developed and signed by all the partners. Direct cooperation with the relevant stakeholders from vocational training institutions and professional institutions ensured the practical orientation of the project and the dissemination of the project results. In this way, future EU project managers in the construction sector can be qualified. In the long run, this project will support the mobility in the construction sector and contribute to a cross-border professional exchange throughout Europe.
The two-year project ConstructEU was implemented by seven partner organisations from Germany (3), Spain (2) and Hungary (2). Each partner had its specific central role in the project, thus ensuring a common European exchange within the consortium as well as transfer of the project´s results to the partner states. The various project´s activities took place in all the partner countries.
The work programme included various steps. In order to transfer the training concept to the construction sector, the training content was reviewed and adapted according to specific target groups. Based on the new learning goals, the learning result was described according to EQF, following the European Credit system for Vocational Education and Training (ECVET). In order to prepare for the national implementation of the training course, a pilot training for multipliers took place in Berlin in November, 2014. Then local test phases of the training course “European projects in the Construction Sector” were conducted in the three partner states in February 2015 (Berlin, Germany), in March 2015 (Santander, Spain), in April 2015 (Kiskunhalas, Hungary) and in June 2015 (Szeged, Hungary). The local test phases were commonly evaluated in the frame of the transnational Online-Meetings.
Beside the course concept of the training program “European Project in the Construction Sector”, a practical train-the-trainer handbook was especially drawn up, containing examples of exercises related to themes such as the conception, the application and the management of EU-projects. This methodological guide complements the course concept in the frame of which detailed teaching and learning materials for participants were developed. Both course concept and methodological guide as well as the additional teaching and learning materials are available in English, German, Spanish and Hungarian.
The sustainability of the project was ensured by initiating the certification of the new training in all the partner states. As a similar certification in Spain was not possible, an additional Memorandum of Understanding on the training course was developed and acknowledged by all partners. All educational partners participating in the project will integrate the training course to their specific training offer and implement it at a national level.
In parallel, a comprehensive and goal-oriented public relation work in relation with a target-oriented networking action was conducted in the three partner states. Beside the multilingual website, a project film on ConstructEU as well as a Facebook-page were created. The booklet “ConstructEU – project & results” presents the fundamental project activities and results and can be downloaded on the website.
In the frame of the 5th partner meeting a public closing event was organized in June 2015 in Szeged (HUN). Media representative were also present and conducted interviews with the partners. Moreover project partner used their own networks for the spreading of the project and its results. Trade fairs events and discussions with relevant stakeholders also took place at the national level.
Utilization and distribution of results
Recognition, transparency, certification
Access for disadvantaged
transparency and certification
program or curricula
ConstructEU aimed at achieving the following goals and creating the following products:
• Development and national implementation of the training course “European Projects in the Construction Sector” in accordance with the EQR-Standards. The training program is primarily intended for managers and project managers who work in the construction industry and would like to educate themselves in the field of the transnational project work and EU applications.
• Creation of the Training handbook – Course concept for the qualification “European Projects in the Construction Sector” available in interactive form as well as in print-version (in German, English, Hungarian and Spanish).
• Creation of the Training handbook – Manual for trainers: “Seminars on EU projects in the Construction Sector” available in interactive form as well as in print version (in German, English, Hungarian and Spanish).
• Development of comprehensive teaching and learning materials related to the training course “European Projects in the Construction Sector”.
• Release of a common Memorandum of Understanding for the qualification “European Projects in the Construction Sector”
• Certification of the training course “European Projects in the Construction Sector” in Hungary and Germany.
• Implementation of four local tests for the qualification “European Projects in the Construction Sector” with 30 participants at least.
• Implementation of a train-the-trainer pilot training with 15 participants at least.
• Creation and regular update of the multilingual ConstructEU website.
• Creation of an English-speaking project film on ConstructEU with German, Spanish and Hungarian subtitles
• Creation and regular update of the Facebook page on ConstructEU.
• Creation of the booklet “ConstructEU – projects and results” (in German and English)
• Creation of project flyers (in German, English, Spanish and Hungarian).
• Organization of a closing event in June 2015 in Szeged (HUN) with the presentation of the project and its results.
• National networking, press and public relation work.
• Organization of five transnational partner meetings and seven virtual transnational Online-Meetings.