Title ComProFITS: Competence Profiling Framework for IT Sector in Spain
Project Number DE/13/LLP-LdV/TOI/147642
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Today's IT market across Europe faces rapid changes due to emerging technologies such as Cloud Computing, Big Data and of course Knowledge Management. Mobility of the knowledge is a major challenge to profit from products and services. In the context of this project, we believe that "Competency brings Profits" and our intention was to promote the IT sector specially in Spain through synergetic cooperation of Vocational Education and Training (VET), Labor Market and Research and Development institutions. The major impacts of the project were as:
- A cloud friendly competence management tool for IT sector in Spain, Germany, Denmark and Greece and later all over Europe.
- Fostering synergetic cooperation of VET, Labor Market and Research and Development Institutions.
- Enhancing Human Resource Management (HRM) in IT sector.
- Promoting IT workers through providing opportunities for further VET- and on-the-job training.
An innovative and efficient evaluation of formal and non-formal competences fills gaps between requested competences and available resources. ComProfITS facilitated effective selection of professionals for IT sector in Spain by its standardised competence pyramid developed in former funded CoMaVet project (Competence Management in the European VET Sector). Through interviews and productive requirement analysis meetings with end users of the system in Spain, the project partners have collected job knowledge and developed the reference and adaptive competence model for IT companies. The target system facilitated HRM departments in effective selection of professionals on the one hand and individuals with recommendations for improving their VET competences on the other hand. The reference competence pyramid in this project can be adapted and transferred to other sectors and geographical regions.
The consortium consisted of four partners from academia and industry namely, the institute of knowledge based systems at the University of Siegen (P0) in Germany, Palle Damkjaer Consult ApS (P1) in Denmark, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (P2) in Greece and Tecnalia research & innovation foundation (P3) in Spain. P0 as a coordinator of the project is involved in several European and national research projects. P1 was coordinator of CoMaVet and has very strong relations to the Danish VET sector and has contributed to the project with expertise in the field of competence development and learning. P2 is the largest university in Greece, with a long history of education and research in all scientific fields. The Department of Informatics has been evaluated as “an excellent department, one of the best in the country” by Hellenic Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education. P3 with over 1500 people as a fifth largest research centre in Europe, mostly composed by engineers and IT specialists, participates in 264 European projects.
Evaluation and application of the project has been accomplished by involvement of HRM department of P3. In this way, they provided the required data of at least 200 IT candidates from the beginning of the project and have tested the efficiency of the system for their defined job roles in the company.
The derive profits based on an efficient management of competences, the mission of project was to promote IT sector in Spain through synergetic cooperation of Vocational Education and Training (VET), Labor Market and Research and Development institutions. The main objectives of the project were to:
- transfer CoMaVet project and Competence Profiling Tool outcomes, respectively from Denmark and Germany, to Spain and Greece,
- improve competence management in IT sector in Spain,
- foster effective performance of IT practitioners and skill workers,
- provide opportunities for (further) Vocational Education and Training (VET),
- balance the selection of IT practitioners and candidates by improving information and transparency of job opportunities,
- pilot testing and analysis of real HRM data in order to improve the HR performance in industries not necessarily limited to IT sector. The alpha version of the project software has been developed and is under the test and evaluation by the end users of the system.
Utilization and distribution of results
Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities
Information and Communication
Human Health and Social Work Activities
Other Service Activities
procedure for the analysis and prognosis of the vocational training requirement
- The Cloud friendly service for competence evaluation of IT skill workers in Spain and potentially across Europe.
- A reference competence management model for IT sector.
-Customization of ComProFITS for Multi-languages
-ComProFITS social media presence, press release and scientific publications