Title Training for Raising Awareness and Understanding about the Trafficking of Humans in Europe
Project Number UK/13/LLP-LDV/TOI-613
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Country UK-United Kingdom
Marketing Text Human Trafficking (HT) is a European and global crime and yet few EU VET training courses exist to tackle this subject for frontline workers. TRUTH has worked over the last 2 years to develop a unique e-course designed to raise awareness of HT among frontline workers (including social care workers, healthcare professionals, police officers etc) in the UK, Romania, Greece and Italy.
Human Trafficking is a European and global crime and yet few EU VET training courses exist to tackle this subject for frontline workers. EU Directive 2011/36/EU states that EU countries should provide training in raising awareness of HT for workers in social care sectors and sectors most likely to meet potential victims/perpetrators.
The TRUTH project aimed to:
• Train frontline staff (social care) in a unique and tailored blended learning package outlining and raising awareness of HT in EU
• Put policy into VET training practice by developing the first pan-European online course to raise awareness amongst workers in Social Care in Europe
• Support European organisations with their legal requirements of providing training for frontline workers in HT awareness
Our objectives were:
• To transfer and adapt an e-course in the awareness of HT from UK to partner countries of RO, EL, IT to workers in social care organisations where they are dealing with people who could be vulnerable/victims of HT
• To pilot the adapted version of 'Human Trafficking Awareness' with relevant target group members in partner countries (UK,RO,EL,IT) using blended methodology
• To develop a European network of VET professionals with interest in developing HT VET courses (especially e learning VET professionals)
• To develop an online European TRUTH Academy for VET Trainers and Professionals Working to Raise Awareness of Human Trafficking among workers and the community.
These objectives have all been delivered and TRUTH's outcomes and impacts include:
- A new course adapted to country-specific HT needs;
- 235 workers who took part in piloting have increased their competences and skills in the area of understanding HT issues;
- VET trainers have increased their skills and knowledge in HT issues;
- VET e learning professionals have increased their skills and competences for developing e-learning content and using European online networks to share learning experiences.
TRUTH brought together 5 partners from 4 countries (UK, IT,EL,RO)- all countries experiencing HT (source, destination or transit countries). All partners were experts in VET, HT and dissemination supported TRUTH to gain maximum impact on a national and European level.
The 'Human Trafficking Awareness' online course developed by Sheffield College (UK) has been transferred in TRUTH to IT, EL and RO and is now available to train and up-skill workers in the social care sector (including Labour Inspectors and Police working with the social care sector) to develop required competences in their work.
The partnership completed a Needs Analysis of frontline workers in Public and Private sectors who were considered as people who may potentially come into contact with the victims or perpetrators of HT. This research was then used to adapt the existing e-course to the new target groups in TRUTH.
Following this, the new courses (in all partner languages) were piloted in the UK, RO, IT & EL between October 2014 and July 2015. Two pilots took place in each country with a total of 235 participants directly benefiting and providing feedback on any further development required. The final course is a result of all the input from partner organisations and users and is available through the online "European TRUTH Academy".
The online TRUTH Academy has been developed in order to share project resources with a wide target audience and provide access to the online training course in the UK, RO and EL. In Italy the course is available via the partner, RER, on their own e-learning platform. The Academy is online at www.truthuncovered.eu.
The platform continues to be available following the end of the project and the individual partners will be promoting the courses further depending on individual country requirements.
Open and distance learning
Human Health and Social Work Activities
open and distance learning
The Main products produced in TRUTH are:
- Needs Analysis Report on training needs of frontline workers in public and private sectors relating to HT - Completed and available on request from project coordinator.
- Human Trafficking E-Course, including trainers guides and learner notes.
- Reports on the piloting of the Human Trafficking Training Program which ran from October 2014 to May 2015.
- Online "European TRUTH Academy" - Accessed at www.truthuncovered.eu
- Dissemination materials including e-newsletters and leaflets.