Title NEPTUNE - New pedagogical approaches and innovative technology for Turkish for business needs to comply with ECVET
Project Number UK/13/LLP-LdV/TOI-680
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Country UK-United Kingdom
Marketing Text Learn Turkish and access a new language, culture and market!
The NEPTUNE project has developed a high quality ‘barrier-free’ vocationally-oriented course of Turkish for business purposes which meets the needs of European businesses that deal with Turkey or with Turkish businesses, or are wishing to do so.
The interactive and 'hands-on' Turkish course can be accessed at www.handsonturkish.com
Available online in English, Dutch, German and Italian and downloadable to smartphones and tablet devices via the Android and iOS appstores.
Companies in Europe are attracted to Turkey as a supplier for textiles, electronics and products, and they are keen to enter a huge untapped growing consumer market. In fact, Development Agencies are actively encouraging businesses to engage with Turkey, which is emerging as an economic powerhouse and an engine for “new growth”.
And yet many of the people inside the businesses - on the ground - often don't have the necessary linguistic skills and cultural understanding to deal with the challenge of doing business in Turkey, which is considered to be a "high context culture" (E. T. Hall).
Consequently they run the danger of making basic and avoidable mistakes.
By adopting a holistic methodological approach, the course motivates and supports learners through a learner-centred and ‘brain-friendly’ style. This objective will be particularly suitable for non-academic learners in VET or those with previous negative learning experiences. The course is based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, levels A1/A2 and be designed for European learning styles.
By undertaking the course, learners are provided with the linguistic skills and cultural understanding to deal effectively with Turkish companies in a range of vocational settings. They can gain greater self-confidence and a 'psychological advantage'. They can also gain credits (digital certificates) from their efforts, which are valid throughout Europe. The digital certificates can shared online on networking profiles.
This project has delivered the following:
- A fully interactive and comprehensive online course of Turkish with: interactive dialogues; vocabulary practice; pronunciation and spelling practice; language and consolidation activities; grammar notes and cultural notes.
- A pedagogical approach to teaching Turkish as a foreign language to European learners.
- The language learning content equates to 300 A4 pages of learning content - translated into five languages.
- A portal with information about the language and culture and regularly updated news about the country and opportunities.
- A log in system and user profile area.
- A learner tracking system.
- A fully interactive iPad and iPhone app, available to download.
- A fully interactive Android app available to download on 7,000 different types smartphone devices.
- Marketing materials including informative videos and social media pages.
- A certification system for people to earn certificates and share these with online networking profiles.
The intended impact of NEPTUNE:
• enable vocational learners to gain linguistic and intercultural competence with Turkish
• improve the quality of teaching Turkish
• enable vocational learners, who may have had negative learning experiences, to discover a motivating way to learn languages successfully
• provide the tools to strengthen relationships with companies in Turkey and Turkish clients
• raise awareness of ECVET by ensuring that the course is credit-rated and placed with the SCQF, which is one of the few National Qualifications Frameworks that has already been referenced to the European Qualifications Framework
• mitigate costly errors when doing business in Turkey.
Recognition, transparency, certification
Open and distance learning
Information and Communication
Activities of Extraterritorial Organisations and Bodies
Other Service Activities
open and distance learning
program or curricula
material for open learning
Product information An interactive and "hands-on" eLearning course of Turkish for business-purposes, delivered online, for iOS and Android. HandsOnTurkish.com