Title Be-TWIN 2 ECTS-ECVET: construire des ponts et surmonter les différences
Project Number 2012-1-IT1-LEO05-02819
Project Type Projets de transfert d'innovation
Marketing Text Be-TWIN 2: relier les systèmes de crédit ECTS et ECVET pour améliorer la mobilité verticale et horizontale des apprenants et développer la transférabilité et la reconnaissance des qualifications dans l'UE
Whereas the LLP and EQF promote a unified approach to education and training in EU integrating VET and HE, two credit systems will soon coexist when ECVET will be officially implemented by the MS. The need to address a comprehensive area of education and training in EU was also stressed in the Recommendation on ECVET which suggests to “facilitate the compatibility and comparability between credit system used in VET and ECTS, which is used in the HE sector, and thus [to] contribute to greater permeability between levels of education and training”. Current approaches to ECVET are shifting from the issue of implementation of ECVET for VET qualifications at all levels to establishing equivalence and achieving conversion between ECVET and other existing credit systems. The shift from input orientation to a LOs approach in education and training policy to design qualifications, to set occupational standards is progressively becoming a prerequisite for the transferability of competences, the transparency of qualifications ensuring permeability between VET and HE. The project sought to address these needs by setting the aim to facilitate a common implementation of ECVET and ECTS for improving learner’s mobility, linking the benefits of both credit systems and promoting the transferability and recognition of qualifications in EU. The project was aimed at transferring and adapting the methodological tools developed in previous LLP LdV and ESF-funded projects by making improvements and integrations in contents and potential usages meanwhile ensuring their consistency mainly with the ECVET Technical Specifications as one of the core objective of the proposal. The adapted methodological tools were tested mainly in vertical mobility programmes (horizontal mobility was not possible for lack of funds) mainly focusing on EQF Level 5 representing the fundamental breakthrough in bridging VET and HE.
Be-TWIN 2 consortium consisted of 11 partners from 5 countries and was built to include the necessary expertise to successfully reach the project goals. Competences were multidisciplinary and integrated in a consistent way with the tasks and phases of project development. The project was articulated in 8 WPs with QA taking place in parallel to check the quality of deliverables. The core WPs were 2, 3, 4 and 5 aimed at supporting and facilitating the adaptation and transfer of the methodological tools to the partners to best fit country specific VET/HE systems and needs of their target users. In the short term, impact was limited to the countries in which partners operate and encompassed the organisations directly involved in pilot activities. Throughout the project other VET and HE stakeholders were directly exposed to these tools through their practical application. Partners set out exploitation plans to reach other stakeholders on EU and national levels.
Be-TWIN 2 intended to respond to EU policies by setting the overarching aim to facilitate a common implementation of ECVET and ECTS for improving learner’s and workers’ mobility, linking the benefits of both credit systems, fostering mutual understanding and promoting the transferability and recognition of qualifications in Europe.
The proposal aimed at transferring, reviewing and adapting the methodological tools developed in the following projects funded respectively in the framework of LLP LdV ECVET and the European Social Fund by making improvements and integrations in contents and potential usages meanwhile ensuring their consistency mainly with the ECVET Technical Specifications as one of the core objective of the proposal:
- Be-TWIN Testing a Joint ECVET-ECTS Implementation Project (147825-LLP-1-2008-1-FR-ECVET) submitted by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Paris - CCIP in the framework of a previous LdV Call (EACEA/14/08) for projects to test and develop the ECVET. Be-TWIN contributed to tackle the issue of the compatibility, comparability and complementarity of credit systems used in VET and the ECTS as stressed in the ECVET Recommendation by devising a methodology linking the two credit systems mainly to improve learners’ and workers’ horizontal and vertical mobility and to develop transferability, integration and recognition of qualifications in EU. Methodological tools (a guide for the coordinated implementation of both credit systems and a matrix which works as a double entry table articulating both ECTS and ECVET and serving as a transparency tool and translation device) were produced in the framework of Be-TWIN.
- “Driving towards EQF (69/1/1/1758/2009) project submitted by the Applicant and aimed at developing and testing a methodology for defining outcome-based standards entailing the identification of core activities/tasks and competences to be used as a basis for developing national educational standards and curricula through the involvement of stakeholders as crucial element of a well functioning feedback-loop to ensure the relevance of qualification standards to the needs of employers and other users.
The project also set several specific objectives:
- to revise and adapt the methodological tools for a coordinated implementation of ECVET and ECTS thus contributing to facilitate vertical progression by opening up access as well as improving the take up of pathways leading to higher levels of education and training; to improve horizontal progression by identifying areas where transfer and recognition are possible; to enhance the attractiveness of VET to learners by eliminating dead-ends in their pathways
- to test the methodological tools thus allowing the adjustment and validation of the adapted tools.
The methodology was mainly tested at EQF Level 5 (in the different partners' countries i.e. Italy, Austria and the Netherlands) representing the fundamental breakthrough in bridging vocational and academic education
- to contribute to the development of ECVET system promoting transparency and comparability of VET-curricula, transferability, recognition and validation of the LOs and mutual trust between awarding bodies in the partners’ countries
- to verify the coherence and sustainability of the integrated and adapted methodology taking into account the framework of the EU mainstream policies and to explore the interaction between EU tools (such as Diploma and Certificate Supplement)
- to ensure stakeholders’ common understanding of outcome-based qualification standards (especially those where transnational mobility is needed) by contributing to overcome the differences in terminology and process and to improve the links between education and labour market
- to promote policy discussions by decision makers based on project’s results and on the use of the methodology strengthening institutional actors’ capacity to reflect on and share major lessons learnt.
Formation tout au long de la vie
Validation, transparence, certification
Marché du travail
Égalité des chances
Accès pour les personnes moins favorisées
Commerce; Réparation d`Automobiles et de Motocycles
Hébergement et Restauration
Procédure pour l'analyse et le pronostic des besoins de la formation professionnelle
Transparence et certification
Description de nouveaux métiers
In Year 1 Be-TWIN 2 envisaged the development of the following main products:
- a web-based workspace (http:www.be-twin2.eu) developed by the Project Coordinator and structured on a reserved area as partnership working – space to exchange documents and information related to the activities work in progress and to organise and file all interim, draft and final versions of project life-cycle and a public area dedicated to the dissemination of project's results;
- Methodological guidelines for the desk research and need analysis containing the conceptual background with terminology and definitions as well as common templates for the collection of data and information both for the literature review and case-studies;
- Interim Desk Analysis Report reviewing and summarising the key interim findings to identify and redress specific inaccuracies in the desk research;
- Country Desk Analysis Reports drafted by the partners and containing conclusions serving as starting point towards the identification of effective country-specific models and practices;
- Final comparative research report containing the main results of the desk analysis;
- Preliminary report containing the partners’ feedback on the Be-TWIN methodological tools and selection of curricula as test-beds;
- Project Website (public and reserved area);
- Promotion and dissemination materials in EN and translated in partners' native languages;
The following products were delivered in Year 2:
- Transfer and Implementation Plans;
- Interactive users’ handbook (posted on the project website and printed in its English version);
- Testing Plans settling terms of vertical mobility programmes, the learning outcomes expected to be achieved and the ECVET and ECTS credit points;
- Implementation of the testing phase in the partners' countries;
- Test reports containing the testing methods used, number of test persons involved and results and conclusions;
- Two strengthening institutional capacity sessions (in each partners’ country) aimed at knowledge and results sharing with key institutional actors;
- Final valorisation Conference held at the end of the project;
- Partners' national & EU-exploitation plans and Info sessions organised in all partners' countries.