Title Unified System for transparency and transfer of LOs
Project Number 2012-1-IT1-LEO05-02784
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Marketing Text Recognition, evaluation and certification of Learning Outcomes acquired in all contexts
The European Union recommends to member countries (EQF 04 2008, ECVET 06 2009) to help people pursue lifelong learning, create welfare and workfare perspectives for skill enhancement, support mobility. Therefore, countries are required to build instruments to promote learning transparency and its implementation processes. These are the needs that this transfer proposal intends to address.
The project aims at transferring to an Italian region and province (Piedmont and Lecce) and Germany (Berlin), a model - built and tested by the Province of Treviso and Lepido Rocco within the Regional system action DGR nr.1758/2009 implemented by the Veneto Region – for the recognition, evaluation and certification of Learning Outcomes (LO) acquired in all settings, by testing two levels of adoption and implementation: governance and operational implementation services. The transfer action will involve operators at different levels of responsibility in training and employment services (direct beneficiaries) and local institutions, trade unions, community etc. (indirect beneficiaries).
Further to the above-mentioned partners, the following other partners were involved: Italia Forma provided technical support working closely with the region. ECAP was a member of the CTS playing a role in method validation. Inholland brought a contribution on analysis of good practices. In this project, transferring partners are: Treviso and Lepido Rocco transfer the model for the recognition of LO and competences, however they are acquired. The Veneto Region transfers the model for government and governance. The recipients include the Province of Lecce tests the model in the field of renewable energies; the Piedmont Region shares a system of government and governance; ABU tests the model in the fields of logistics, construction, trade in Germany and establishes relationships with the Chambers of Commerce for the recognition of LOs. IF, ECAP, INHOLLAND are the technical partners having proven experience of research and technical assistance to institutions on these issues. Tecla, an association of Italian local authorities, will support the regions and provinces in carrying out project process by supporting coordination within the partnership.
At a national level, the impact is based on sharing among Italian regions instruments and systems of implementation for the development and dissemination of competence recognition and certification services. At a European level, the impact refers to the increase in shared instruments between regions and European countries (IT-DE-NL-CH).
The Project has set the following objectives:
1) Providing a package of “instruments” (methods, procedures and tools) that can be experienced by training and employment services, in those areas that have not yet adopted such models, and defining implementation conditions.
2) Training service providers through support and tutoring, encouraging the creation of a professional team able to manage and disseminate the model.
3) Testing services of acquisition, development and recognition of competences with a group of citizens and creating the conditions for their real benefit in order to turn them into testimonials of the experience
4) Disseminating the experimentation results by involving a number of stakeholders in the transfer areas and in two other Italian regions (Basilicata and Sicily) to share the importance of having a unified system to recognize and certify LOs.
5) Sharing the same structure with other Italian regions (through transfer and dissemination), reducing the scattering in the process of adoption and implementation of such instruments.
During the 25 months of the Project the following activities were carried out:
WP1- "Coordination activities": Skype calls between the Partners to discuss before meetings and for the regular development of the Project. Preparation of the detailed Work Plan. Execution of the kick-off meeting in December 2012, during this meeting Partner Apulia Region expressed the intention to withdraw from the Project because of its difficulties. They did not attend the Transfer Plan Meeting held in Treviso in March 2013. Contact with the new partner Piedmont Region was made. A request of Amendment for the change of Partner was submitted on 19/07/2013 to Isfol to replace the Apulia Region Partner with the Piedmont Region Partner. No considerable changes to the existing WP: only a small increase in workload planning for the activity that the Piedmont Region was going to implement. Organization and execution of the Interim Meeting in Berlin (D) from 2nd to 4th December. Collection of all documentation about the preparation of the Interim Report from the Partners (WP1.) Preparation of the Interim Report in November 2013. Organization and execution of the Final Meeting held on 9th May 2014, in Venice. This meeting was the opportunity for all Partners to describe the state of art of the Project, better understanding how to go on with the experimentation, sharing the first results, highlighting weaknesses and strengths emerged during the experimentation of Uni.system.LO tools, how to better involve local stakeholders etc. (for the receiving Partners); how to give more support during the experimentation, better focus to the Sustainability Plan, etc. (for the other Partners). A second request of Amendment was sent to the National Agency (Isfol) on 22nd July 2014, in order to make some changes to the Partners Budgets and to have an extension of the activities period, until October 2014. Organization and execution of the Final Conference, held in Venice on 23rd September 2014. It was an additional chance to involve local stakeholders to participate in the project results and to focus on its important objectives.
WP2-“Sharing the transfer methods between the partners” - Between November and December 2012 the material and tools useful for the transfer of the Model to the receiving Partners (Province of Lecce, Abu-De) were prepared. Lecce and Abu produced a territorial analysis report which was discussed during the Transfer Plan meeting in March 2013. The Piedmont Region joined in the project in July 2013 and prepared a report on its territorial situation in September 2013 before the laboratories; organization and execution of the Transfer Plan meeting, that took place on 18-19 march 2013. At this event, IF Italia Forma prepared the Catalogue of the Products to be transferred and a useful check-list for the receiving partners. At the beginning of December 2013 the Interim Meeting was held in Berlin, at which: 1) the results of the post-workshops held in Turin, Berlin and Lecce were presented (Province of Lecce was not present at the meeting because of flights problems, we had a Skype call with the Partner), 2) discussing on timing for experimentation: about ABU the need to find new elements in the Catalogue to improve their test emerged, the Piedmont Region focused on the Evidence Dossier and tried to gain the validation of competences (the need to hold and additional workshop in Turin, which was then held in February 2014, came up) 3) presentation of the improvements of the website and the draft Monitoring Dashboard by Lepido Rocco; 4) presentation of the draft Sustainability Plan by Veneto Region; no time to determine information materials (leaflets and posters) they would be sent by email to the Partners.
WP3 -"Workshops to adapt the model to the context and the identified sectors": the workshops were held in Berlin, Lecce, and Turin (for the non-formal /informal model) and Lecce again (for the formal model). At the beginning of the Project, Abu (Germany) had realised that there was not interested in transferring the model to the formal setting, but only to the non-formal/informal setting. Skype calls made with the German Partner about the organization.
WP4 - "Experimentation of the adapted model into the identified sectors and services": The Uni.System.LO model was adapted to the receiving territories. The Province of Lecce made the experimentation – informal setting- in the field of Logistics-Transport, Building and Systems and Handicraft and collected various dossiers; the experimentation in the formal setting involved some secondary educational institutions (IISS “A. De Pace”, Technical School “Deledda”, “Don Tonino Bello” Vocational School) in the preparation of learning educational units, divided into knowledge and competences. In Germany, Partner Abu based the experimentation on comparing their system for the certification and validation of competences with the Uni.system.LO methods. It was noted that: 1) the objective is the same; 2) similar tools are used (portfolio and indicators); 3) even the method is equivalent (using references, interviews etc. to recognize the competences of a person); 4) the objective of the “German system” is essentially to help the candidate take the exam at the Chamber of Commerce (for the validation of competences) and improve work opportunities; the objective of Uni.System.LO is to help the candidate (through the recognition and possible validation of competences) find a new job and/or improve employment opportunities. About 10 people were involved: the experts applied the Uni.system.LO tools and methods and noted that they are better than those in use in Germany. The Piedmont Region used the Uni.System.LO tools with the objective to create various evidence dossiers. On 18th July 2014 the Province of Lecce held a technical meeting in Lecce with the Province of Treviso, Tecla and IF Italia Forma (on Skype call). The purpose of this meeting was to hold a round table with the presence of some experts from ConfArtigianato and some citizens, participating in the experimentation, trying to set up an “Assessment Commission”, paying attention to the difficulties encountered during the construction of the Evidence Dossier, giving suggestions for improvements, how to better collect the evidences so that they could be more easily recognized by the experts etc.
WP5–"Experimentation follow-up and model improvement" –definition with all Partners of the monitoring Dashboard (at the end of December 2013) and preparation of the Experimentation Monitoring Report made by Lepido Rocco at the end of June 2014.
WP6- “Definition of the Sustainability Plan” by the Veneto Region: during the meeting in Berlin, in December 2013, the Veneto Region presented to the Partners a draft Sustainability Plan. At the Final Meeting, in May 2014, the final Plan, prepared by the “Istituto Italiano di Valutazione” (Italian Validation Institute) was presented. A Negotiation plan was prepared for the implementation of Memoranda of Understanding and a Prototype Memorandum of Understanding.
WP7– "Project monitoring and evaluation": The Monitoring and evaluation Plan was presented by Tecla to the Partners in November 2012 . The Evaluation Final Report was prepared at the end of October 2014.
WP8- "Dissemination": Creation of a Project website ,which was implemented and updated constantly; updating of Adam Portal; dissemination of the information material: flyers and posters made for the most important events (both in English and Italian). The Province of Treviso made a press release in its local newspaper on 14th September 2013; a newsletter was sent to many enterprises, local authorities, Social Partners, Schools, Employment Centers, and so on. The Veneto Region produced two newsletters ((also translated in English, German, Italian, Dutch) on 13th March 2013 and 11th June 2014.
Recognition, transparency, certification
Sectors Other Service Activities
The core products are: tools and procedures for the recognition and certification of LOs acquired in any setting; the Sustainability Plan; the prototypes of Memoranda of Understanding addressed to the institutions and to the labour market. Products dissemination increased the reliability for Learning Outcomes recognition and certification systems by stakeholders and in particular by the labour market.
- Preparation of a Work Plan (R1-Wp1)– It’s a tool to plan the activities and to define tasks and responsibilities between the partners, destined to all partners, in English and Italian.
- Preparation of the Interim Report (R2-Wp1).
- Final report, at the end of the project (R03- Wp1);
- Preparation of the Catalogue for the Products to be transferred (R4- Wp2) that offers a summary of the set of instruments developed in the previous experience for the treatment of competences, however they are acquired.
- Territorial Analysis Reports (R5- Wp2) - Report about the state of the art of the receiving territories.
- Implementation of the Transfer Plan (R6-Wp2) that represents, as a flowchart, the activities defined from the territorial analysis for the transfer.
- The toolset for the development, evaluation and certification of LOs in formal settings (R7-Wp3) and toolset for the development, evaluation and certification of Los in informal/non-formal settings (R8-Wp3) were produced.
- Guidelines for the recognition and evaluation between settings and the completion of Certificates (R9- Wp3) were prepared.
- The Experimentation Report (R10- Wp4) was prepared
- The Monitoring dashboard (R11- Wp5) was accomplished – containing indicators and tools useful for the collection of data.
- The Experimentation Monitoring Report was prepared (R12-Wp5), describing the process and the progress of the experimentation with its weaknesses and strengths;
- Preparation of the Sustainability Plan (R13- Wp6), that defines a process of sustainability of the model and an implementation plan for achieving it;
- Prototype of Protocols (R14-Wp6)
- The Negotiation Plan was prepared for the implementation of the Protocols (R15- Wp6);
- Monitoring and evaluation plan (R16-Wp7), completed – it is a document for the Partners. It is aimed at defining the process and impacts of the project, the monitoring tools, the evaluation of the management and products, problem solving etc.
- The Communication Plan (R18- Wp8) was prepared for all Partners.
- A website (R19- Wp8) was put up and updated regularly.
- Information material (R20- Wp8): was prepared and poster and leaflets (defined setting) sent to all Partners.