Title ProM: Building skills for educational mobility
Project Number 2012-1-FR1-LEO05-34232
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Marketing Text ProM was an European project aiming to provide a comprehensive professional training programme to European teachers by distance learning, to support the management, planning and implementation of mobility initiatives.
Mobility has become a key priority in European educational policy spurred on by the member states which are ever more aware of mobility’s positive impact on:
- promoting economic growth
- fostering the emergence of knowledge-based societies
- raising awareness of European identity and citizenship among young people.
The EU has developed a series of programmes and tools aiming to facilitate mobility activities; frameworks and financial mechanisms have been designed for pupils, apprentices and teachers.
However, despite efforts to streamline and simplify procedures, taking part in mobility initiatives is far from being straightforward. Teachers in charge of mobility are confronted with new responsibilities in terms of management and logistics which often differ vastly from their traditional role as “transmitters of knowledge”. The ProM project aimed to respond to this need by producing a comprehensive training programme to support the management of mobility.
ProM aimed to provide the training, information and support required:
- to enable teachers to manage, plan and implement mobility initiatives in their educational institutions
- to enable teacher trainers to integrate this knowledge into their teacher training programmes.
Ultimately, it aimed to improve learners’ access to mobility programmes and the opportunities they need to achieve their potential.
- Teachers take a quick online assessment to assess their current skills level on mobility management. They then receive recommendations, tailored to them, as to which of ProM’s online training modules would best suit their needs.
- Teachers take the recommended ProM training modules to acquire or enhance their professional skills required on mobility initiatives (exchanges, work placements and ICT partnerships) through an e-learning platform.
- Teachers have the opportunity to sign up to one special supported online module which includes feedback from experienced tutors. Those taking part are trained alongside colleagues from other European countries, developing international links and creating a dynamic international network.
Open and distance learning
material for open learning
open and distance learning
- Online assessment tool
The online assessment tool is made up of a series of descriptors setting out the main skills needed to successfully take part in mobility initiatives.
After grading themselves in each particular area, teachers and other educators are provided with an overall snapshot of their competences in mobility management. They then receive suggestions as to which of the ProM online training modules are most suited to their particular needs. Typically they then go on to follow one or more of the new ProM online training modules being developed in the project.
- Online training modules
The training modules written and designed by the ProM team cover the whole range of skills needing to successfully coordinate and take part in a mobility project. Through a modular approach, trainees might simply choose to take one or two modules, or, alternatively, decide to complete the whole training package.
- Tutored modules
In order to make the training offered as dynamic as possible, a supported module was also available for a limited period. This provided scope for teachers and school staff to receive feedback and advice from experienced tutors knowledgeable about running and planning mobility.