Title Family Mediation
Project Number 2012-1-PT1-LEO05-11296
Project Type Transfer of Innovation
Marketing Text Family Mediation Project is a transfer of an innovative methodology about programs/seminars of training skills to support parents and teachers to lead with students which present risk of scholar failure/dropout.
The county of Paredes (located in Oporto) and the Vale do Sousa region where the county is located identified academic failure on third cycle students (aged between 12 and 16 years) as the biggest problem on educational sector. Although this is a complex phenomenon that could have many causes, the family support of pupils plays an important role for the successful integration of students at school.
The parental skills in scope of educational management are considered the most basic skills that enable the construction of a familiar environment appropriate for children’s learning. The different behaviors that parents assume influence emotional, cognitive and social development of their children daily. Parents with a low education have probably lower parenting skills to support/encourage their children in scholar activities. Those parents view the school with suspicion and are resistant to contact with it. The impact that family mediation could have on local development on social inclusion, on preventing risk behaviors in adolescents it’s not clearly evaluated and we can affirm that it’s even underestimated. The multicultural diversity that characterizes our students turns the family mediation indispensable.
AIMS and OBJECTIVES:The family mediation project aims:
- Sharing methodologies and actions results developed by partners so they can be adapted and applied in other contexts;
- Disseminating APPIS methodology, that has been applied since 2007 and we have verified successful results in the scope of family mediation;
- Providing a platform for cooperation, exchanging cultural experiences and sharing best practice among partners, disseminating locally and internationally, creating synergies and putting into practice effective approaches to family mediation in a multilingual and dynamic Europe.
Characteristics of the consortium:
The consortium has experience in the scope of theme of the project and also in international projects. Each partner has their approached rooted in the territory where it is located.
The overall work plan of the project will be structured as follows. Our work plan is divided in 7 work packages but we included 2 additional work packages due to: the first one management work and the last one to activities of dissemination and exploitation.
Work package 1: Management activities (Throughout the project). During the project we will do a lot activities related with the organization and execution of the project
Work package 2: Overall view of the project
Action 2.1 The work package begins with a presentation of all partners that should included a description of own experience on family mediation, description of the intervention contexts, SWOT analysis, identification of target groups as families that will be intervened, teachers and trainers that will use methodology
Action 2.2 Each partner will identify 600 families, 600 students, 4 in-company trainers, 12 trainers, 200 teachers and 6 schools
Work package 3: Presentation of the APPIS family mediation methodology: selective and universal intervention
Action 3.1 Presentation seminar for all partners of APPIS family mediation methodology - selective and universal intervention
Action 3.2 Workshops to debate the transfer of APPIS family mediation methodology to local context of each partner
Action 3.3 Training the tutors of each partner in APPIS family mediation methodology
Work package 4: Gathered family mediation methodologies of partners
Action 4.1 The partners of each country will meet with local partners (schools, associations, educational institutions to gather the family mediation methodologies existing)
Action 4.2 Each partner will put available on project website, the family mediation methodologies existing in their origin countries
Work package 5: Testing activities of family mediation on local context
Action 5.1 Planned the actions
Action 5.2 Execution the planning
Action 5.3 Evaluation
Work package 6: Evaluation of implementation of family mediation in local context.
Action 6.1 Each partner provides the evaluations of the activities carried out in their own country
Action 6.2 Each partner suggests what family mediation activities should be included on intercultural family mediation model
Work package 7: Discussion of intercultural family mediation model
Action 7.1 Work meeting with all partners
Action 7.2 Work meeting with local partners on each country involved on TOI project
Work package 8: Public presentation of intercultural family mediation model
Work package 9: Dissemination and exploitation results.
Utilization and distribution of results
- A report with summary family mediation methodologies of all partners with good results in the field: an intervention that should be planned, structured, continued, consistent and allows the family empowerment. These intervention will improve the adequate skills of them to deal with their children education and will allow to decrease the academic failure and scholar dropout on 3rd cycle students (between 13 and 15 years old).
- Creation of school for parents activities.
- Create an intercultural family mediation model;
- Change the parental behavior specially in what is concerned in support to scholar career.
4800 families, 4800 students; 32 in-company vocational trainers; 96 trainers; 1600 teachers and 48 schools.